SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm 

My goal is to have a compact gun, plinking, back yard shooting, squirrel/rabbit/rat hunting. I already have a sparrow and q erector in NFA purgatory. Question is, should I sbr my 10/22 takedown which is already on a Magpul backpacker stock, maybe 4.5 inch so it will always shoot subs threaded and use the q or sparrow on it, or is integrally suppressed (Gemtech or yhm etc) the way to go? Yes I know those have longer barrels and will shoot regular ammo super sonic. Just wondering thoughts on the matter. I also know about tacsol sb-x, just considering all of my options. Money isn’t a factor for this project.

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am 
Silent But Deadly

The gemtech mist 22 integral used to have ported barrels. Gives you better bullet stability (longer surface area in the rifling) while porting off a lot of the gas at the same time. And with the suppressor baffle being pinned and welded, didn't require the sbr stamp. So, that addresses all 3 of the issues that you mentioned.

With that said, I think they stopped porting the mist barrels because some folks complained how dirty the inside of the tube got when they didn't clean it frequently enough.

Even if you bought a mist and it wasn't ported, if there ever came a time when you couldn't find subsonic ammo anymore for long term (like after sandy hook), you could always port the barrel yourself. That being one option. I mean, really, you're just drilling a hole in the barrel. Though I prefer to finish the hole with the next larger size reamer to eliminate as many burrs or rough spots as possible, but you get the picture.

If money isn't a concern, nothing wrong with an integral.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:34 am 
Silent But Deadly

I have two gemtech mists, one on a takedown backpacker and one on a 96/22 lever action. Both are wonderful. The backpacker is perfect with the mist, a Kidd trigger kit, RMR sight and some other doodads like bolt buffer etc.

Neither are ported, as I have tons of CCI standard that is subsonic at my temperatures and subsonic if I need it in cold weather. Dr. Dater offered to port the barrel on mine if I wanted it to (as a private individual, not an employee of anyone).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:30 pm 

I bought my Mist barrel years ago, ported. I cleaned it after each range day. But, it's nearly impossible to remove the molten lead deposits on the inside of the tube. I tried dozens of brushes, and solvents, even Scotch-Brite. I was ready to look for a reamer to fit it when I heard that Gemtech would swap for an un-ported barrel. So, either keep it ported and give up the ability to dis-assemble, or switch to un-ported. I switched, happily!

I still like the Mist for the fact that it looks just like a bull barrel. You wouldn't guess it was suppressed without a close inspection. It shoots well.

I also have 10/22's with thread on suppressors. It's easy to use one suppressor for pistols and rifles.

You might also consider another option: A Ruger Charger Pistol with the Copper Custom Brace Adapter

https://coppercustom.com/copper-custom- ... ce-adapter

That gives you a short maneuverable quiet 10/22 without the $200 tax stamp or 1-year wait. Also, it's a PISTOL, legal to conceal with my CHP.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm 

Thanks for the replies! I’m in Arizona so most of my shooting is going to be in warm/hot environments so I’m less concerned now from the replies. Looking into that charger option too since these 10/22 are so affordable. I did do a form 1 to change my 10/22 into an SBR just because I’m afraid in the future of other atf opinion changes, so I’ll still have the option to put a charger barrel on and just thread on the sparrow or q Erector in the future.