CCI standard velocity ammo

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Loaded
Silent Operator

CCI standard velocity ammo

Post by Loaded »

Seems to me I read on a post somewhere that the CCI Standard Velocity ammo will cycle a Ruger 10/22 just fine with a "can" attached. True?
I was going to try to buy some on auction, but I fella said it wouldn't feed or cycle the 10/22 action properly. I question this, but you fellas oughta know.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Re: CCI standard velocity ammo

Post by gunningbadger »

Always worked for me.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Get this fella to tell you why it will cycle without a suppressor but won't cycle with one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

CCI SV works on suppressed and unsuppressed semi-automatics.

CCI Quiet will not cycle the bolts on any of my semi-automatics, suppressed or not.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

CCI SV runs fine in my 10/22 and Mk III with the Sparrow.
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Sparrow_27 wrote:CCI SV runs fine in my 10/22 and Mk III with the Sparrow.
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks. So, on which host is the Sparrow more quiet with a variety of ammo? I've got a Sparrow waiting for me. Have seen threads that say it's louder on a pistol. What's your overall impression of "quietness" on both pistol & 10/22? Your thoughts on FRP?
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

I would say the 10/22 is the best with subsonic ammo, but the Mk III can run high velocity stuff and keep it subsonic. Overall, I would go with the 10/22 for best sound reduction. I have a Savage FV-SR waiting for me and I think that will beat them all. As for the FRP, it's there on the MK III. I never noticed it on the 10/22. Some ammo, especially non-subsonic it can be pretty loud. I now load all of my first mags with a round of CCI Quiet to eliminate the FRP. After the first shot it is gone.
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Sparrow_27 wrote:I would say the 10/22 is the best with subsonic ammo, but the Mk III can run high velocity stuff and keep it subsonic. Overall, I would go with the 10/22 for best sound reduction. I have a Savage FV-SR waiting for me and I think that will beat them all. As for the FRP, it's there on the MK III. I never noticed it on the 10/22. Some ammo, especially non-subsonic it can be pretty loud. I now load all of my first mags with a round of CCI Quiet to eliminate the FRP. After the first shot it is gone.
That's a bit of a letdown as I'm going to use the Sparrow on a couple pistols more than the 10/22. I have no choice but to live with it as there's no turning back. I ask a good many questions before I bought it and all the responses said it was very quiet on a pistol. Looks like I've got many months to wonder about it....................
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

The first time you pull the trigger and all you hear is the gun go click and the bullet smack the target you won't care about anything else because you will be laughing at how stupid quiet a 22 can be. :mrgreen:
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Trevor2011 wrote:The first time you pull the trigger and all you hear is the gun go click and the bullet smack the target you won't care about anything else because you will be laughing at how stupid quiet a 22 can be. :mrgreen:
This its not nearly as big of a deal as people on the forums make it out to be.
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

It's only a big deal if you are shooting past 12 pm and want to be super quiet for the neighbors. Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me. I shoot all of my hosts now without earplugs and I don't get any noise loud enough for ears to ring. It is very quiet on a pistol, but I think there are still even better cans for pistols only than the Sparrow. It is a great do all type can that is super easy to clean and I have no regrets getting it. I am going to get a couple more though like a SWR Spectre II and maybe a Liberty Kodiak of some sort. Can't have too many cans that's for sure!
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Well, I'll see firsthand in about 4 months just how quiet it is on a pistol. One of the guys at the company said it was preferable over the Spectre II for pistol because I questioned them about both. Whatever, there's no point in worrying over it now. I'm sure it'll be fine.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

CCI Std vel is all I use in my rifles and my 10" Buckmark. It cycles my 10/22 about 95%. The shorter 5" barrels get Blazer as it stays subsonic unless it is cold outside.

I have heard many different silencers on 22lr pistols and can say that none of them are actually quiet compared to a rifle no matter what ammo (other than CB) is used. If you have all of your hearing left and want actual near silence, then it is a rifle you want.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Interesting..............I'm not after near silence but I do expect the Sparrow to substantially reduce the report of my host pistols. If not, then I've been misled by several people. I'm sure it'll will be satisfactory @ 40-41 db reduction. Now I'm thinking you fellas are so caught up in the use of cans that you're splitting hairs here, which is fine if that's your thing. I on the other hand am just after a very good sound reducing suppressor that's easy to clean/maintain.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

It will substantially reduce the noise; big time in fact. I have heard a sparrow and it worked just fine. But a rifle is so much less noisy than a pistol to begin with that it is that much less noisy when suppressed.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

I just got my Savage FV-SR today and tried some CCI Quiet through the Sparrow. It is totally quiet, all you can hear is the firing pin clicking, nothing more!! I am more than impressed with it so far. Pistols are at least hearing safe, or better and the rifles are giggly quiet!
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Great! I"ll be able to shoot as much as I want in the backyard without bothering the neighbors who are about a 100 yds. away.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Loaded wrote:Great! I"ll be able to shoot as much as I want in the backyard without bothering the neighbors who are about a 100 yds. away.
Easily I shoot mine at a construction job in the middle of nowhere we where working on with my boss 10 ft away. He asked what the hell was that but really had no idea it was a .45 going off with a Osprey on it. Neverless if it would have been my sparrow. I can shoot my sparrow 20 yards from someone and they will hear it but have no clue what it is unless they are looking at you. 100 yards they wont even hear it.
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

yamatitan wrote:
Loaded wrote:Great! I"ll be able to shoot as much as I want in the backyard without bothering the neighbors who are about a 100 yds. away.
Easily I shoot mine at a construction job in the middle of nowhere we where working on with my boss 10 ft away. He asked what the hell was that but really had no idea it was a .45 going off with a Osprey on it. Neverless if it would have been my sparrow. I can shoot my sparrow 20 yards from someone and they will hear it but have no clue what it is unless they are looking at you. 100 yards they wont even hear it.
Thank you! That really eases my mind !!!!!!!
-M-

Post by -M- »

I have a sparrow and liked it so much i bought another one. :D I find my P22 to be just a little quieter than my Ruger 22/45 Blacklite. I only use CCI SV and Subsonic ammo and have never had a FTF or FTE.

Other rimfire host:
Tactical Innovations CH22 SBR with 8" and 4 1/2" barrels
AR 22 with Spikes Tactical dedicated .22 upper
Stainless 10/22 Takedown with barrel threaded by JPGrips
Savage FV-SR
Ruger Charger with 8" barrel
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

I'm hoping that my S&W M&P 22 pistol will be nice & quiet as I like shooting it a lot. Of course the Buckmark is my favorite of all 22 pistols. For whatever reason I can really shoot it well with open sights. I've already had the barrel cut & threaded on it.