Suppressed AMD-65 Build

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nwcafesurfer

Suppressed AMD-65 Build

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Howdy folks!
I’m a new member here and have a unique project I’m working on. Picked up a Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit (my first) & in the “true spirit” of the rifle, I’m going about suppressing it and turning it into a tactical (not tacti-cool) home defense rifle!

But theres a few hang-ups… I’m thinking of sticking with the original short stoke gas system, I want to throw on a Bolton combo block and drill my own 90 or 45 degree gas port? The new blocks have provisions for either. Is there one that’s preferable for a suppressor?? Would really love to modify the block and add a set screw so I can adjust the gas pressure feeding back to my piston, has anyone done this w/ this block?? I also have an idea for a “secondary suppressor” on the gas block vents to reduce the sound signature from the venting. Has anyone attempted that, and would it require a form 4 for such a device?

I would also need to source a threaded barrel with the appropriate gas port drilled or a virgin barrel for my build. Something I could cut down & have threaded, and drill my own gas port. Barrels are really hard to find at the moment, could I take a barrel that’s been drilled & weld over the port then re-drill where I want it??
Finally, I’d like to “roll my own” barrel shroud to comply with the 16” barrel requirement of my state, does anyone make an AK barrel shroud like the XBS? Or could I repurpose one for my build??

I know, lots of questions. But I have been doing my research & really hope some vetted AK builders could help a newbie out!

Thanks!!
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressed AMD-65 Build

Post by Sdustin »

Is this your first can? And it would be a form 1 not a form4. I'm really not trying to be an ass but for a first project this sound like a big deal especially the part about silencing the gas block. Cool idea I don't know how you would do it or if it could be done but sound cool. I'd just make a simple fender washer reflex can on a 16" virgin barrel that you fit to the AMD gas system ect. I really think that would be something. Or maybe get get a 16" barrel cut it down to 13-14 perm attach a break then use a reflex. Can make it simple use a threaded collar press fit or set screw it right up against the gas block then have the silencer thread on at that point and extend some length past the muzzle. I wouldn't worry about the venting gas noise use a gas tube with no vents to minimize that. Oh also have you built an ak before?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

I don’t think you’re being an ass per se, just a concerned member..
I should say I’m a drafter/ designer by trade & my buddy helping me is skilled in machining & gunsmithing. We both believe in the saying “Do-it-once & do-it-right!” That said, this build isn’t going to happen overnight. I have yet to order a suppressor for this build, and I’m sure you’re aware they take some time to “show-up”.
I haven’t considered a “reflex” suppressor, how would this stack-up to a Gemtech HVT or AAC Cyclone?
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

This is my first suppressor, and my first AK parts kit. It will evolve over time.. My current focus is getting the rifle assembled with a short barrel & shroud/ threadded collar etc. Ill run it in this configuration untill I decide on a suppressor.. The XBS shrouds look nice, but are made of aluminum? getting it permanently attached could be interesting.. If I have a barrel cut & threaded, what would be an ideal thread pattern for a shroud/ suppressor?

I should clarify, the whole adjustable gas block & "secondary" gas vent suppressor thing was just me brainstorming. If it does happen, it will be much latter in the build..
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Damn, heard some bad things about the Bolton blocks.. Anyone know of a "bulletproof" combo block that will work well w/ this build? Would hate to have a problem w/ it after I pin on a barrel shroud :|

EDIT: I realize i may have to re-contour to make it work
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I was under the impresson you were building the silencer? If it were me and I was going to build the can and needed a 16" barrel I wouldn't do anything else but a reflex. You could end up with a full 16" barrel and have the advantages of that plus make the can( if your building it) to be a reflex and it wouldn't add as much as a normal thread on.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

I honestly havent given much thought to building my own suppressor.. I'm kindof leaning towards a barrel shroud to get my 16" but will certianly look into a reflex style suppressor that extends back around the barrel. I looked at the AAC Cyclone, but favor the Gemtech HVT what else should i be looking at?

EDIT:
Also looking at the AAC Hunter, much more compact & would be good for corners. But dosent look like it can be dissassembled? =/ kinda sucks.. I do plan on re-loading 200ish grain subsonic ammo for this build, dont know if that makes a difference in selecting a suppressor..
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

YHM phantom ID look at that. Buy I don't like the look of a barrel shroud much so I'd go for the reflex. Later tonight I'll look at my saved stuff and post a link to a silencer a guy made from washers and muffler pipe. It's an ar15 reflex. No lathe needed. And did a good job. Search around for fender washer silencer.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I mean I'd you have to have a 16" barrel you might aswell have a 16" BARREL.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Simple sketch I threw together showing the different muzzle attachments I’d like to do for this build. Barrel shroud seems the way to go!
- first two breaks are for comparison, wont be used -

Last edited by nwcafesurfer on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Was looking at suppressors today & found a few I really like. It’s hard for me to justify one that doesn’t come apart for cleaning, but I really like the Gemtech HVT –THD it has a welded stack. Alternatively there’s the Coast GEN 2 LRT 7.62 that fully disassembles (and for a decent price!) A down side to these suppressors is they require an adaptor that usually runs $100 and would add length to my build =/
I think the Red Jacket BMF-SS would have decent sound suppression for what I’m doing, but just can’t justify the price.. Sorry Will, but I think I could do better w/o a lathe at my buddies shop! I’m seriously considering a roll-your-own B-Baffle suppressor with freeze plugs as a low cost “good enough” alternative.

nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Sdustin wrote:I mean I'd you have to have a 16" barrel you might aswell have a 16" BARREL.
A 16" barrel on an AMD-65 with a muzzle device attached after the 16" would be unnecessarily long. While unconventional, a barrel shroud (as I depicted) will take 5" off the overall length of the rifle! Going for tactical here, not tacti-cool..
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

What's wrong with a 16" barrel. When I hear barrel shroud I think "the shoulder Thingy that goes up" IMO they look bad like mall ninja. I think when it's a .22 ad gives the barrel a bull barrel look then it's ok. I would make it with a 16" barrel or maybe a 14-15" with a muzzle device attached permentaly. Read this thread at least to page 5

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19231

IMO this is the only way to go. Im thinking about doing this on a
Saiga .308. I want to weld on go sights on the gasblock ad have the collar but right up against the gas block like on page5 in that thread. I'm going to buy either an AAC 7.62sdn6 or a YHM phantom. I likenthe fact that the AAC can was developed with my AAC 9" upper as a weapon system but I much prefer the YHM because of the mount. I like the look of the 51T mount. But don't like the fact that small springs and the tooth is part of the silencer. On the YHM there's nothing small and breakable on the silencer.

I would fill out your form one send it in desgin a freeze plug muffler pipe reflex. This way you get the benefits of a longer barrel, it would look Better, and Be very cool.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

Why would you use The amd muzzle device except to get the barrel to 16". It's loud as hell and does very little for flash if it doesn't make it worse. Red jacket silencer are crap. Look at some numbers. Will said on their show that they got a .50 nmh to 125Db. That's impossible. If you going to make you own can id seriously look at a real 16" barrel that will give you a real preformace gain not be tactl-cool as you put it. If anything id
Say the barrel shroud gives you a fake silencer look and that a little too mall nijna for me. If you kept A real 16" barrel there's a real benefit. And like I said you could run a real flash hider that would serve a real purpose and you could have a 14-15" barrel perm attach a good flash hider and make a reflex silencer.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Sdustin wrote:... could run a real flash hider that would serve a real purpose and you could have a 14-15" barrel perm attach a good flash hider and make a reflex silencer.
Not a bad option, something I'll have to seriously consider! on a reflex, what % or ratio can i run behind : infront the muzzle??
Last edited by nwcafesurfer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Velocity loss in the 12.5" barrel is about 200 fps compared to the 16" barrel.. even less of an issue if I intend to run subs. Overall length is more of a deciding factor than velocity or the "look" of this firearm. If done right I think a shroud would look no worse than an AR with full length quad rails, but thats just me. Truthfully the AMD-65 is somewat of an "ugly duckling" of the AK family, but I bought it for its short gas system not its looks :lol: As far as the AMD65 break goes, its a pretty damn effective AK compensator, LOUD but effective. Also would be cool to demonstrate the rifle with the loud break then switch out to a suppressor! :D
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Hot damn! :o

This might just be the ticket:
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Mot ... ng#Related

I currently have the 38/360 & 38/720 casings, might have to pickup a 38/480 and fill out a form 1 :D

EDIT:
Appears to be made of 1/16" thick 6061 tubing
Last edited by nwcafesurfer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Haha Right! I should get one before they become a controlled item :lol:

For those who don't know, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

It's exactly whats wrong w/ this country, people who have no clue about stuff are trying to tell us whats in our best interests! I wouldn't put her in charge of regulating a parking garage :roll:
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Here's a CAD model I drew a few years ago. Its a 1.5" DIA, 12.5" long 38/720 motor. The end caps would only need minor modification to work. I also have a 7" casing (which is probably too short) and will likely pickup an 8.8" casing for about $45 keep in mind the forward & end closures are an extra $30-40 each
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I don't think youll be able to find subs for x39mm. And even if you can I don't think they would run the gun. And I'd like an extra 200fps. That's a lot when you talk about rounds like x39 and 300 blk.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Sdustin wrote:I don't think youll be able to find subs for x39mm. And even if you can I don't think they would run the gun. And I'd like an extra 200fps. That's a lot when you talk about rounds like x39 and 300 blk.
Has been done before, checkout 7.62x39 Jackhammer Sub rounds
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Did a little research today. Keeping my barrel length under 18" is a chore :| Not sure how well a 7" freeze plug suppressor would work for this build, but I have serious doubts a reflex suppressor would be viable!
Part of the allure of the AMD-65 is its lightweight & compact size. But adding a suppressor kindof negates these qualities.. further research, design & planning will be required to pull this off..
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

A 16" barrel will be much easier on a silencer. Plus sound better. And I wouldn't be worried about staying under 18" with the can. I'd build a quite silencer not some much shirt. The thing could be short with out the can. Add the can and voila makes it sound like a misuse fart.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

Jackhammer

Also works in Kalashnikov weapons with slight ramping

What's this mean?
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Sdustin wrote:Jackhammer

Also works in Kalashnikov weapons with slight ramping

What's this mean?
Not really sure :| Im more familiar with AR's. Some rounds require slight re-shaping of the feed ramps to keep the rounds from hanging up while feeding, but I'v ever done this before with an AK...