Suppressed AMD-65 Build

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nwcafesurfer

Re: Suppressed AMD-65 Build

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Being a home defense rifle, I need a good CQB sling, any ideas? ^this single point sling any good??
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I hate single points they really get annoying when you need to let them lay. I think the only real use for one is one a big pistol like an ak or ar pistol to help stablelize your shots. I would get a two point. The blue force vickers sling is really good. They have the option of going from a two point to single.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Did a little design work on the AMD-65 today.
Think you may appreciate this design Sdustin. It uses a Bolton combo block, and you guessed it, a barrel shroud! but not really.. First picture is with an unspecified muzzle brake approx. 1” in diameter, next is a 7” long 38mm can inside the shroud and the 3rd image is w/ a 8.5” 54mm can mounting over the shroud. The shroud actually fits inside the 54mm suppressor (I call it the “jumbo can”) :lol:

Please forgive the "blotted out" front sight in the pictures. I know autoCAD, not Photoshop :wink:
Last edited by nwcafesurfer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Sdustin wrote:I hate single points they really get annoying when you need to let them lay. I think the only real use for one is one a big pistol like an ak or ar pistol to help stablelize your shots. I would get a two point. The blue force vickers sling is really good. They have the option of going from a two point to single.
Cool, I'll have to check it out!
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

The blue force vickers sling is pretty awesome. I have a buddy in the Army who knows of a good sling, says its the only one to have.. I'll post a link when he gets back to me, but im rather impressed by the Vickers! :D

In other news this build may be on hold untill I get a Form 1 approved because the threadded adaptor that the barrel shroud mounts to is also threaded to accept my suppressor tubes.. seeing as how my tubes are readily avaliable rocket motor casings there would be nothing to stop me from assembling a suppressor once this part is built :| i could play the whole "how is this any different than a commercial thread adaptor" card, but thats a serious grey area... :roll:
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

nwcafesurfer wrote: In other news this build may be on hold untill I get a Form 1 approved because the threadded adaptor that the barrel shroud mounts to is also threaded to accept my suppressor tubes...
Yea, I hit a wall..
I'll for sure need a form 1 before I could build the threaded adapter & complete my rifle =/ So, with that in mind im looking for suggestions for a muzzel break (or break design) that would work well with a reflex type suppressor.
Hate to admit it Sdustin, but you may be right..
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I think it might be wise to reconsider making a can for your first can, especially a rifle can, and even more so a rifle can for an AK.

I've found through research that quite a lot of work goes into the development of commercial rifle suppressors. The materials needed to make a rifle can both durable and light are not readily available- doing a one-off with similar durability and weight to something produced by AAC or Silencerco would be expensive and inconvenient. Unless you really just want to tinker, have broad access to a lathe, and no limit to your budget, I'd recommend sticking with one of the existing 7.62 cans made by AAC or Surefire.

AK's do not typically have threads that are concentric or easily usable with sound suppressors. This is a project that I would not attempt without the help of either an experienced gunsmith or at least someone experienced with the use of a lathe. Believe me, I know. It's been a royal pain in the butt trying to come up with a plan to get a normal thread-attach rifle suppressor onto my AK.

My experience so far with rifle cans has taught me that less weight is better, since all that weight is up front, fatiguing your support arm and torquing the wrist of the hand on the pistol grip. I'd recommend the lightest solution that still features at least an inconel blast baffle and abandoning the pursuit of a suppressor that can be disassembled, since they are always heavier for the same level of performance.

If you can find a gunsmith to check the straightness of your rifle's bore and who can work out a solution to shoulder a suppressor up so that it will be concentric with the bore, you might research AAC's Hunter or even Delta P's Brevis 7.62 Compact. Of the two, it's likely the Hunter will be quieter and that the Delta P will be shorter and just a little lighter. Surefire, AAC, and YHM also offer some attractive quick attach .30 model cans that will be about 4 oz heavier overall than a thread attach model and may provide a way to shoulder off the muzzle, which could be an easier mounting solution for an AK.

ETA: 'Suppressing' the gas ports on the gas tube/gas block should be as simple as covering them with a sleeve. Ideally, this would be incorporated with a way to adjust/reduce the gas acting on the piston to prevent malfunctions from the carrier moving rearward too quickly, though this may not be necessary on a 7.62x39 AK.
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Thanks,
Yea I'm starting to see the light on this..
Will probably need some hands on mentoring to get it right. I do have high hopes for the “rocket motor” can idea I have. It’s very lightweight, but I have durability concerns…
But I have to say, after taking a look at the Internals in the Red Jacket BMF-SS suppressor, I don’t mind risking a tax stamp to build something similar.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19231

Read this entire thread make your ak with a real 16" barrel and do something like this he did it with only "hand" tools and a welder. it would be very very cheap also id go a little bigger on the diameter and it would be great for a 7.62 can. Id really think about it if you must have a 16" barrel why not make it a real 16" barrel and then you could use any number of muzzle devices, or go with a 13-14 " and your choice of good flash hider such as a YHM phantom and per attach it, IMO it would look a thousand times better than a "barrel shroud"
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
nwcafesurfer

Post by nwcafesurfer »

Very interesting.. I could use one of these^^ to replace my gas block. And like Sdustin is saying, permanantly attach a flashider/ compensator to my barrel threads. Then use the threads on the gas block for mounting a reflex style supressor. Best of both worlds & avoids the shroud :D Hmmm.. The can would have to clear my muzzel break, thats going to limit things a bit.. :?