77/44 integral questions

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

77/44 integral questions

Post by Irelander »

I am considering an integral Ruger 77/44 from SRT, Johns Guns, or Tom Denall for my next suppressor project. I have been reading a lot of post on here and over at silencerforum.com. I already reload 44 for my Rossi 92, S&W 629PC, and Ruger Vaquero (44SPL) so cooking up my own subsonic recipe should be a breeze especially with all the good recipes available here as a starting point. Here are some of the questions I have:

1. Are all of the options (SRT, Johns, or TD) one stamp guns or do some require two stamps?
2. How important is the ability to disassemble and clean the baffles? I mostly shoot jacketed bullets but am considering starting to use cast lead bullets as a cost effective option for non-suppressed shooting. In subsonic velocities for use with a suppressor, is leading a concern for clogging up an integral suppressor? Is it best to just stick with jacketed bullets?
3. Which of the integrals made by the three makers listed above are able to be disassembled?
4. How is the wait time for these weapons? I know the Form4 takes at least 6 months but what about build time?
5. I have read a lot about guys getting the 11:1 Douglas barrel for their SRT build. Is this option beneficial only for accuracy with heavy bullets over 240gr or are there benefits for lighter bullets too?
6. Can I expect any amount of accuracy with the factory Ruger barrel with heavy or light weight bullets?

I know some of these questions may not have clear cut answers but I still appreciate your opinions. I'm sure I have more questions but thats it for now.
CZ 452 + TAC65 = "CLICK" :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 77/44 integral questions

Post by Bendersquint »

Irelander wrote:I am considering an integral Ruger 77/44 from SRT, Johns Guns, or Tom Denall for my next suppressor project. I have been reading a lot of post on here and over at silencerforum.com. I already reload 44 for my Rossi 92, S&W 629PC, and Ruger Vaquero (44SPL) so cooking up my own subsonic recipe should be a breeze especially with all the good recipes available here as a starting point. Here are some of the questions I have:

1. Are all of the options (SRT, Johns, or TD) one stamp guns or do some require two stamps?
2. How important is the ability to disassemble and clean the baffles? I mostly shoot jacketed bullets but am considering starting to use cast lead bullets as a cost effective option for non-suppressed shooting. In subsonic velocities for use with a suppressor, is leading a concern for clogging up an integral suppressor? Is it best to just stick with jacketed bullets?
3. Which of the integrals made by the three makers listed above are able to be disassembled?
4. How is the wait time for these weapons? I know the Form4 takes at least 6 months but what about build time?
5. I have read a lot about guys getting the 11:1 Douglas barrel for their SRT build. Is this option beneficial only for accuracy with heavy bullets over 240gr or are there benefits for lighter bullets too?
6. Can I expect any amount of accuracy with the factory Ruger barrel with heavy or light weight bullets?

I know some of these questions may not have clear cut answers but I still appreciate your opinions. I'm sure I have more questions but thats it for now.
1 - I believe all of them are one stampers.
2 - Very very important, especially with some of the materials they are using for their baffles. If you shoot cast its required in my book.
3 - I think the Tom Denali is the only one serviceable. Ours will be joining the list soon, gotta work some more bugs out first.
4 - Painful waits from the last time one of my customers updated me, depending on the manufacturer over a year.
5 - Can't answer this one I personally don't recommend the replacement barrel, the factory will work fine in my opinion.
6 - Our experience is that the accuracy of the barrel is retained with suppressed or unsuppressed.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

I shot one of those years ago. I liked it. It was as quiet as my 300-221 with 308 suppressor.
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

Think AAC will bring the Rhino back?
CZ 452 + TAC65 = "CLICK" :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Irelander wrote:Think AAC will bring the Rhino back?
They retired that years and years ago, way too small of a market for such a large company.
in2b8u
Silent Operator

Post by in2b8u »

I can only speak for the SRT I own.
I have only taken mine apart once.
It is very quiet with .44 spcl cast and flatnose jacketed.
I did not use the special Douglas bbl. I have 2-2.5 in groups at 100 yards with out any issues. I also run an EOTECH. I consider this to be more than acceptable for the rifle and its intended purposes.
I really try to keep this one at 75 and under.
I saw no advantage in the extra $$ for the BBL change YMMV
Wait times now are LONG, but will only get longer. The advantage is that Ruger is producing the 77/44 again. So finding a host is not an issue.
I had a good experience dealing with Doug. Good luck on your quest.
BTW this is one of my favorite supressed weapons.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people......... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.