GSG-5

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Kent1960

GSG-5

Post by Kent1960 »

Is there anyone who is doing a can for the GSG-5? I would like a permenantly attached for a one stamp.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: GSG-5

Post by dtom29 »

These are of my GSG5. I Had it cut and I use my Thompson Machine Zephyr XL on it. I wouldn't try to save a tax stamp by having the Silencer pinned or wielded. Unless there is some reason that you have to do it by law, saving $200 doesn't seem worth it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

It is worth it if you are tryin to avoid another tax stamp......
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

If you're playing the NFA game and worried about a $200 stamp you're in the wrong stadium. Pinning a silencer to a single rifle makes NO sense at all.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dtom29 wrote:If you're playing the NFA game and worried about a $200 stamp you're in the wrong stadium. Pinning a silencer to a single rifle makes NO sense at all.
Unless you are in any of the states that forbid SBR's and you want that rifle suppressed.

Just because you are in the NFA game doesn't mean you are made of money either.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

It would seem to me that with dirty 22lr a pinned can could be a very bad idea in terms of cleaning.
Kent1960 wrote:Is there anyone who is doing a can for the GSG-5? I would like a permenantly attached for a one stamp.
Here is the correct answer as stated by dtom:
dtom29 wrote:If you're playing the NFA game and worried about a $200 stamp you're in the wrong stadium. Pinning a silencer to a single rifle makes NO sense at all.
I love my GSG, but it sure isn't a rifle built to stand the test of time. Any "savings" or convenience garnered by avoiding a second stamp is eliminated by the overall quality of the weapon and limitations from not being able to use the can on another pistol or rifle.

[caveat] reserve a small exception for crazy states with unusual NFA restrictions as bendersquint mentions [/caveat]

Have you no other rifles? Aren't you planning on getting more rifles in the future?

Think of the children my good man!

Don't you want to give your children the ability to place the can on ANY rifle they want once you are dead and gone? Why limit your kids and grandkids to the rusty old broken non-repairable GSG5?

They will chuckle inside when they go to the range as they fondly remember silly old grandpa's short-sighted notions of suppressors... and leave the non-working GSG5 at home, unused.

Hey, as long as you managed to teach them enough to NOT vote for President Chelsea Clinton we will be OK either way.

My GSG5PK
Pistol with thread adapter and Gemtech G5 suppressor.
No folding stock, obviously, as that would require applying for "pistol to SBR" stamp.
-----
Ick
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Unless you are in any of the states that forbid SBR's and you want that rifle suppressed.
That's why I said "Unless there is some reason that you have to do it by law" when I posted my first reply.Just because you are in the NFA game doesn't mean you are made of money either.
I stand by my second post, If a second $200 tax stamp is more than you can afford then you shouldn't be playing this game. In most cases it's not that these guys can't afford the second stamp, it's just that they are trying to cheap out when they shouldn't.
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

I've thought about this and think one way would be to open up the end of the fake suppressor, shorten the barrel, thread and attach a 1/2 x 28 adapter and permanently attach the open end fake adapter to the shortened barrel. In effect you would have the legal barrel length and the fake adapter would be like a flash suppressor but you could screw your can down inside the fake adapter. Kind of like how the short barreled AR15 have the long flash suppressor permanently attached so that it becomes part of the barrel.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

dtom29 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
That's why I said "Unless there is some reason that you have to do it by law" when I posted my first reply.Just because you are in the NFA game doesn't mean you are made of money either.
I stand by my second post, If a second $200 tax stamp is more than you can afford then you shouldn't be playing this game. In most cases it's not that these guys can't afford the second stamp, it's just that they are trying to cheap out when they shouldn't.
I think you missed or refuse to recognize his comment. Some states forbid SBR's hence your screwed and can't make/buy a GSG5 SBR no matter how much money you want to throw at it. Hence the way to get around it is to pin on the suppressor.

A prime example is Washington state. You can own/shoot suppressors, but you can't own a SBR rifle or a machine gun unless it was grandfathered in. I know people in this state that had to pin their suppressors to be legally allowed to own and shoot them there.

You would have to agree that it would look ridiculous to shoot a GSG5 with the 16" barrel exposed along with a real suppressor. It sucks to have to do this, but if that's what you really want, to shoot a suppresses GSG5 in a non-SBR state, then you do what you have to do.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I didn't miss anything...there is a lack of reading comprehension in this thread. My first post said" Unless there is some reason by law that you have to do it"..... :roll:
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Ryo wrote:
You would have to agree that it would look ridiculous to shoot a GSG5 with the 16" barrel exposed along with a real suppressor.
I do NOT agree. Mine looks WICKED kewl...

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

This is my GSG5-SD with Quicksilver GSG-SD can. You could pin on one like this. The monocore is removable from the front. This is before I sent the suppressor back in and made 6" shorter, after all this is a registered SBR.
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

audiojason wrote: Image
THAT's the core they are using? :shock:

No wonder I got a call about recoring it!
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

It's not bad but could be better. Works well with cci standard.
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Bendersquint wrote:
audiojason wrote: Image
THAT's the core they are using? :shock:

No wonder I got a call about recoring it!

Is that a core? Looks like a flash hider the put on the wrong end?
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote: Is that a core? Looks like a flash hider the put on the wrong end?
Yes, that IS the core they use for that model!