Stripped Lower

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dantheman3660
Senior Silent Operator

Stripped Lower

Post by Dantheman3660 »

Hey Ya'll,

I got a really Dumbass question. I want to get a stripped lower so I can customize it. Thing is I have always purchased complete lowers in the past. I know I need a buttstock assembley & trigger assembley. What else for a completed lower?

Dan
bmanka
Silent But Deadly

Post by bmanka »

There are quite a few little pieces and springs. Since the AR-15 is highly standardized, there are plenty of places to find a full-blown parts list. I'd suggest buying something called a "lower receiver parts kit" from MidwayUSA or Brownells rather than buy them piece by piece. You will pay less that buying each piece individually and and items you don't use from the customizations can be saved for repairs / replacements.
Patriot In Training
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I'm thinking of buying a few stripped lowers just to build into rifles or pistols later on. Am I correct in assuming that building a new stripped lower receiver into a pistol is no problem without a tax stamp? Thanks.

Ranb
tikkafan
Silent Operator

Re: Stripped Lower

Post by tikkafan »

Dantheman3660 wrote:Hey Ya'll,

I got a really Dumbass question. I want to get a stripped lower so I can customize it. Thing is I have always purchased complete lowers in the past. I know I need a buttstock assembley & trigger assembley. What else for a completed lower?

Dan
Just a lower parts kit and a buttstock assembly, that's it. You'll need a wrench to put on the castle nut for a telescoping stock. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/CAR-Wren ... wrench.htm

You really don't need any special tools besides the wrench.

Here's the instructions from AR15.com, I used these for my first build. Do this one time, and you'll be able to do it from memory. It's really easy.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

EDIT - An A2 pistol grip comes with a lower parts kit BTW
Last edited by tikkafan on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suspicion Breeds Confidence
tikkafan
Silent Operator

Post by tikkafan »

ranb wrote:I'm thinking of buying a few stripped lowers just to build into rifles or pistols later on. Am I correct in assuming that building a new stripped lower receiver into a pistol is no problem without a tax stamp? Thanks.

Ranb
Make sure your dealer puts "stripped lower" on the 4473 when you do the background check. That way it can be built into a pistol or rifle legally.

It may even be best to put "pistol" on the 4473, because I believe a pistol can be made into a rifle if you put a stock and 16"+ barrel on it. I don't think it works the other way around.
Suspicion Breeds Confidence
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

You dont need the wrench for the stock tightent it ,,take a empty 223 case and tap it a bit in one of the groves to tighten it more
now what you really need is a small pin 0,25 in dia , with a hole in one end (across) just big enough so the spring and take down detent can pas through
When you then have to put the :evil: takedown detent and spring in you put the pin in ,and then put the spring and detent in through the small hole in the pin ,,pres them in with a small pin that fits (only just through the pin) and turn the pin a bit Click it says ,and you can take the pin you used to pres with out again
Next things should be done inside a clear plastic bag
take you front takedown pin hold it against the pin(aligned ) that is right now holding the spring and detent with the take down push the pin out and the take down in (be careful)click again (hopefully)and you take down pin is installed
reason for the plastic bag ,,if you mis or slip the spring and detent WILL come flying ;;but hopefully stay inside the bag