Lubricating suppressed AR 10

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Lubricating suppressed AR 10

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

Any recommendations for lubricating suppressed AR 10? ive noticed it gets hot and the lube burns or blows away and soot will cover everything inside, causing the gun to start to malfunction. With the thinner oils like clp ive had it happen as quick as 20 rounds. Rifle cycles fine and has never jammed without suppressor and I haven't had issues with my 556 ARs.

Rifle is a 16" AR 10 with AAC SDN-6 Can.
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lubricating suppressed AR 10

Post by lostwasthechild »

CLP or Remoil burns off way too quick, you're absolutely right. I have success with this stuff:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... 18598.aspx

Apply generously to all of the contact points for the bolt an carrier to the inside of the upper, to include the locking lugs on the bolt.

Also, try this. I use the 4 oz. bottles of TW25:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... 24410.aspx

Apply a good coat to the bolt, carrier, and charging handle. It goes on thick and white, and you can wipe off the excess, but you'll see that it still leaves a film when you get the excess off.

In my opinion, both of these products also aid in cleaning as well. Give em a try, and let me know what you think.

Lost
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I have the same issue and recently decided to try an Italian Gun Grease product--get the "Tactical". They are a company in TN, who made innovative lubricants and cleaners for industrial processes and machines; and now make innovative gun lubricants and cleaners. My recommendation is based on 3rd party tests and results, since I only got the products and haven't had long to properly analyze the results yet. From the test article, the lubricant lasts long and also impregnates the metal surface to make it slippery in a long lasting way.

http://www.italiangungrease.com/

I bought the Tactical Performance Pack which has the Tactical lubricant cleaner and protectant, the Carbon Eliminator, and the Clearview for optics and goggles.

http://www.italiangungrease.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Here is the April 2013 review article on Italian Gun Grease products.
http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/04/pat ... rease.html
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Have you tried a chromed or Ni-Boron BCG? Might slicken things up a bit. Maybe an adjustable gas block or adjustable gas tube to cut back on the gas a bit.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Mine used to jam to, I now use a product called mili-tec and it fixed the lubrication issue.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
joshua_

Post by joshua_ »

oilfieldtrash76 wrote:Any recommendations for lubricating suppressed AR 10? ive noticed it gets hot and the lube burns or blows away and soot will cover everything inside, causing the gun to start to malfunction. With the thinner oils like clp ive had it happen as quick as 20 rounds. Rifle cycles fine and has never jammed without suppressor and I haven't had issues with my 556 ARs.

Rifle is a 16" AR 10 with AAC SDN-6 Can.
Mobile 1 Synthetic - I usually use 0w - 20

You can try different ones to see what works best to hold up for your specific usage.

I've used a lot of stuff over the years and now I prefer this for running the gun. Not only does it hold up well under heavy use, but the price is better.

I use other stuff for storage though.
oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

The rifle seems to be way overgassed to me. Felt recoil is increased with the suppressor and the bolt seems to slam back. I think it is cycling too fast as sometimes the ejected case gets caught on the way out, hanging between the bolt and front of the ejection port lengthways. I notice the cases will not fall as far from the rifle with the suppressor. It actually runs better after it gets dirty. Looking into an adjustable gas block and/or a heavy buffer and spring combo. Ive got my sights on a SASS upper and want to be able to use the lower for both.
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

All 308 AR type rifles are overgassed when shooting suppressed. If you install an adjustable gas block, you won't need to mess with springs and buffer. Cutting down on the gas will slow it down so that it behaves like a pussy cat. The bonus is that you'll also be able to shoot more accurately and your brass won't get beat up for reloading.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Somewhat related. I've noticed suppressed my mags are getting sooty. How is the best way to clean them? Some of my handgun mags have instructions on taking the mags apart but I can't find any directions for AR mags. So far I've tried to spray them out with Balistol and them with compressed air, then lightweight machine oil, more compressed air. Still not happy though.