Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Post by eastern_hunter »

Anyone try the Rem 700 SPS Tactical w the 16.5" 1:10 bbl in .308 Win?

Comments?

Thanks!
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Post by jt526 »

I got one not too long ago. I did find out mine does not stabilize 220gr SMK subsonic loads, keyholes like a mofo. So

It is heavier that I was hoping for, I was looking for something lighter than my chopped and threaded 20" 700PSS with all the badger etc. fixins.

Stock was about what I was expecting, which is not much, and the decelerator pad is grabby and catches on clothing, but I had hoped that I would be pleasantly surprised. Put an EGW base, Leupold 3.5-10 MK4 w/M3 turrets on it w/burris xtreme rings, and an skdtac stock pouch that I built up with high density foam and ducktape underneath to the right height.

Haven't really tried to go for accuracy, I mostly wanted this to stabilize some of the heavier subsonic rounds, but no go on my first 220gr SMK loads. Back to the load development for go to subsonic round in this. Probably should have just gone to 300 blackout.

Stupid, stupid NFA items.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Mine shoots like **** with anything over 180s. If you're not going heavier, you should like it. Be prepared to spend 200.00+ to replace the stock though, it is a real POS. I also have the same in .223.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I did buy one ... was not expecting to use it subsonic as I am aware that it takes a 1:8 or faster twist to run very heavy projectiles. Planning to use 175 gr SMKs. Same approach to ammo holds 1/2" groups in my Savage with 22" 1:10 Douglas bbl.

Fitted it with w B&C aluminum cradle stock, Wyatt DetMag bottom metal, and a Harris bipod. Weight is 10 pounds with an old 4-16x44 Burris Signature Select scope but no sling or ammo. Is a bit heavy.

Have not shot it yet. Hope to do so this weekend.

Got a chance to shoot the SPS ... a few rounds to start the break-in process and a 5 rnd string at 75 yards. 4 rounds in one hole and a flier abt 3/4" to the left. Haven't adjusted the the trigger lighter yet. Rifle performance looking very hopeful indeed.

Rifle below is an FN FS2000. Original flash hider removed and muzzle rethreaded 1/2x28. FH for KAC QDSS NT4 attached.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

I too am looking at getting one. I'm curious though why would they make it threaded and advertise it for a suppressor but not make the twists for subsonic loads?
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Perhaps they intended the rifle to be used in the LE and/or hunting environments. Both would be mostly using full-power rounds, but would also benefit from having a suppressed rifle.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Just couldn't handle the Hogue stock, trying out a new chassis system, the MD Tactical LSS. I think the push was towards a fast twist 300blk. At a certain level, people would bitch if the 1:8 twist accuracy sucked with FGMM or M118LR and the like. There were threads on here years ago about the options/twist people wanted to see on the ACC branded Rem 700, maybe even polls. Might search for rsilvers threads from 2009ish? on the rem 700. There were even AAC branded 1:8 barrels in 18" available for purchase. No idea why it ended up at 1:10 for the whole rifle, but so be it.

Stupid, stupid NFA items.