Classic rifle dilemma

Talk about them here.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Classic rifle dilemma

Post by yellowfin »

I just received a family heirloom Remington 513-T which I have always enjoyed myself but nobody cared much for other than me. My grandpa got it for my uncle but it ended up being too heavy for him as a kid and not interesting as an adult, so it sat in his gun case from the 50's to the 90's. Then my dad and I got it sometime when I was around 12-13 or so and we'd take it to the family farm, but my dad just wasn't into shooting a lot, so it maybe got shot 10 or 20 days out of the last 20 years that I know of. So now I'm at a great gun club and want to get into small bore shooting, so I asked if I could keep it because I have use for it. Done. It's going to get more shooting with me in a month than it likely has its entire existence.

Just looked up the date and it was made in 1950. The metal is in pretty good condition but not what I'd call a museum piece by any means. The stock looks like a chipmunk attacked it in spots--not irrecoverable by any means but refinishing would cost a little money as I'm not all that well practiced at wood work and likely would hand the task off to someone. The irons are fantastic, Redfield aperture sights correct for the period, likely on there at time of purchase, I'm guessing the only ones it's ever worn. Bore is very nice as this has seen minimal use.

Now here's the dilemma: do I thread it? Can it be done to where it doesn't look out of place and butchered, and not screw up the accuracy which this beauty has? I'd like nothing more than to have a classic tack driver with just one minor update to make it everything I want it to be. Can it be done to look retro, to look as if it were originally done that way? I want it to look natural with a Sparrow or another high quality can that can be on there and not occlude the sights--maybe see if the suppressor can be finished to match the finish closely. I basically want a 1950's rifle to have just one more feature added so it will do everything I want from now till 2050 and beyond. It deserves the love it never got.

Anyone got some example pics of a rifle from that time with a heavy barrel threaded and/or with a can on it? If it can't be done right I won't do it at all, but I really, REALLY want to.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: Classic rifle dilemma

Post by jlwilliams »

I say go for it. You ( or a gunsmith) will have to do a careful job to not bugger up the finish, but it's doable. Maybe a nice brass thread protector will add to the period look.
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

Sure you can have it done properly. PA ought to have quite a few good smiths nearby. Ask the folks at your club. But, I would stash the family heirloom in the safe and pickup another gun to shoot with your can on it. Original means more to me than having an every day shooter. Let us know what you do. Post some pix.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
BlackdogGS

Post by BlackdogGS »

Just get another rifle to mod like a Ruger 10/22. You can even buy them new with a factory threaded barrel.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

These were military target rifles and highly prized.They came blue or parkarized.I have one I put a scope on for squirrel hunting and take heart shots at 100yds.The small 1/2x28 thread for most 22 suppressors could screw with the accuracy.A larger thread diameter would help preserve it like 3/4x28.When you relieve that much metal from a muzzle the bore size flares.Just the opposite of what you wish a choke.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895