Mossberg MVP?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Big J

Mossberg MVP?

Post by Big J »

My LGS has the patrol in .308, its threaded and accepts pmags. I'm looking for a reason not to buy, lol. I have a 7.62SD and think the rifle might make a sweet host. I have a AR in .308 so I already have a bunch of mags that will work. Any thoughts?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles ... mvp-series
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mossberg MVP?

Post by hunter2 »

Just read an article that states the 308 has a 1-12 twist and the 300 blk has a 16. I think Layne Simpson screwed up on that one. I would double check the specs. If you get one let us know how you like it.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Have you actually held one in your hands? They are not anything close to precision rifle quality. It's a 'truck gun' at best.

That said; the little rifle is a great concept and I like many of the features it offers. The execution is unfortunately, all Mossberg. When this platform is built by a quality manufacturer, it will be a screaming seller. And I will own one. Until then I'll pass.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

hunter2 wrote:Just read an article that states the 308 has a 1-12 twist and the 300 blk has a 16. I think Layne Simpson screwed up on that one. I would double check the specs. If you get one let us know how you like it.
This ad says that it's a 1:7 twist: http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MB27718
Big J

Post by Big J »

I did some trading with my LGS. I have to say my impression of it is great. The action is about as good as any out of the box, Savage or Remington I've owned. It feels like a solid, substantial rifle. Is it a precision rifle? No. Super fun host? Yes.... Hopefully anyway, still have to pick a mount, lol. I'm sure it will. I was able to consistently group an inch at a hundred with cheap ammo. My main complaint is the bolt knob, tiny an too close to the scope. I will be turning it down and adding a new knob when I get the time. Here is a pic next to a converted Saiga to get an idea on size.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

That's a perfect opportunity to try this super-inexpensive bolt knob modification. Looks like it takes about a half an hour, some JB Weld or Marine-Tex epoxy, a file, sandpaper and a rattle can. You don't have to hack your original bolt handle and you can easily un-do it if you don't get the results you want. I'm going to do it on a few Savage/Mossberg .22lr bolt guns.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hi ... -knob.html

https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Big J

Post by Big J »

Wicked wrote:That's a perfect opportunity to try this super-inexpensive bolt knob modification. Looks like it takes about a half an hour, some JB Weld or Marine-Tex epoxy, a file, sandpaper and a rattle can. You don't have to hack your original bolt handle and you can easily un-do it if you don't get the results you want. I'm going to do it on a few Savage/Mossberg .22lr bolt guns.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hi ... -knob.html

That's pretty cool. I already got the knob in stick on it though. Won't take long to turn it down and thread it. I have some other rifles I may end up doing that on, thanks for the link.
davebearpig

Post by davebearpig »

I have looked at buying a Mossberg MVP in .223 and after handling the gun, I decided to go with a Howa instead. I actually fell into a deal that let me get a Howa Axiom Snow King in .223 and the gun is extremely well built. I think the Mossberg would be a very nice gun to shoot, but it seemed like it had more play in the bolt than I was wanting. The biggest downside to buying the gun for me was that I would have to use mags. I prefer to make long reloads for accuracy target shooting, so it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

After talking with my gunsmith to thread the barrel, he seemed to really like the guns and was looking to get one for himself to make a custom rifle.

Overall, I believe that Mossberg makes excellent guns. I think they are really going to have good luck with some of the new .308s they are coming out with for patrol style rifles.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I would be more interested if it came chambered for .300WSM. Same length, just need double stack mag to accomodate the wider brass.
Maybe even a snail shell mag to reduce needed ground clearance.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Big J

Post by Big J »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I would be more interested if it came chambered for .300WSM. Same length, just need double stack mag to accomodate the wider brass.
Maybe even a snail shell mag to reduce needed ground clearance.
It is a double stack mag. Maybe rebarrel it for .300WSM?

Did some fun stuff to it. Still need to do some polishing to slick up the action a bit. Its not bad but could be better. Painted the stock OD Green. Ground/cut down and threaded the bolt handle for a larger bolt knob, night and day difference in the way it feels. You can see the way it looked before in one of the pics with the suppressor on.

Modeler

Post by Modeler »

What thread pitch is the muzzle? I've been thinking of getting one for the Harvester I have in NFA jail, but I can't find any data on what the threads are.