I can't use my Phantom on my 16" midlength

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Schulze
Silent But Deadly

I can't use my Phantom on my 16" midlength

Post by Schulze »

I have a 308 phantom. When I shoot it on my BCM midlength, everything is fine for 100 rounds or so. Then a case will get stuck in the chamber and the extractor will rip the rim right off!

This is a 16" chrome lined barrel. Ammunition is any type.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: I can't use my Phantom on my 16" midlength

Post by cyclone72 »

Squirt some clp in the chamber. The back pressure from the can will put more pressure on the bolt's reciprocation, which may explain the extraction problems and cans usually foul up AR's a lot quicker which could explain why the round got stuck, dirty chamber.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Not sure why the things go south at the 100 round mark, other than if your upper is .223, instead of 5.56. Any disability relative "dirty" relative the tighter chamber of the .223, any carbon buildup will be magnified when using a suppressor.

I"d expect failure(s) for a chamber'd 5.56 lower, when I've reached the 1K suppressed round mark without cleaning.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

With the silencer is recoil and/or carrier speed noticeably increased?

If you are over gassed and then add a silencer (increase in back pressure) you can cause the carrier to move too quickly, pulling the bolt back too fast and too early and it'll rip case rims off.
A lot of barrels are over gassed to help cycle weaker ammo and help cycle in adverse conditions.

Things I'd do to test and troubleshoot...

1. Heavier buffers, new action spring (just a normal one though). Go with H, H2 or maybe even the VLTOR A5 system
2. Replace extractor spring and o-ring to get a better grip on case (Never mind if it's a newer bolt from a good mfg)
3. Adjustable gas block (lower the gas to the bolt carrier)
4. LMT Enhanced carrier to help vent some extra gas out of the way

All of these things will also help mitigate crud and gasses coming into the chamber and making things dirty and might help if it is just a dirty chamber issue