Recommended scope mount and rail for remington 700 5r?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

GunOwner

Recommended scope mount and rail for remington 700 5r?

Post by GunOwner »

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Remington 700 5r and this is my first precision rifle. I have to mount optics and have no idea what to buy.
I did try searching on Google but there are just so many recommendations and many posts are older.

I want to buy a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 scope, which is 30mm.

Can anyone recommend the best rail and scope mount/rings for this gun?

Do I have to bed the scope mount?

I heard there are two piece rails and one piece rails, which one would be best?

Thankyou for any advice here, I really am overwhelmed with this whole optics stuff.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recommended scope mount and rail for remington 700 5r?

Post by tsands974 »

I prefer a one piece base, simply because of it's rigidity. Also, I prefer a base with a 20 moa rise, to allow me to engage targets at long distance without having to max out my elevation turret. Badger Ordnance and Nightforce are my favorite bases and rings. A Vortex is a decent entry level optic, but for a little more coin you can get a really good quality optic, like Leupold Mark 4 or Nightforce NXS. US Optics, Schmidt & Bender and the like are excellent as well but you'll be paying over 3 grand for them. Don't skimp on the base or the optic. And no, you don't bed the base.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Without knowing your budget and what you're going to be doing with the rifle, its hard to make a call.

Vortex has a decent reputation for quality and an EXCELLENT reputation for customer service, should you have any issues with your glass.

If you want to get a solid mount without having to sell your firstborn, I'd look into a Game Reaper, from DNZ Products. http://www.dnzproducts.com/game-reaper-mounts

No, they're not the most tacticool, most expensive, nor SEAL/Green Beret/Force Recon/Blackwater approved, but they are solid and reasonably priced.

By the time your shooting skills exceed the capability of the 700/Vortex/DNZ combo, you'll have a good idea what you need and can save up accordingly.

Byrdman
GunOwner

Post by GunOwner »

Good point and I agree with you about not spending a lot of money in the beginning as I don't really know what I want until I get more experienced. I will look into those scope mounts, I am all about buying the best bang for your buck that will get the job done.

However thinking about today, if I need to use the scope on a few different guns is there a certain scope mount I should be looking for?

For example, if I have an ar15 and a scar with a rail on the top and want to switch the scope to those guns every once in a while should I consider something different?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

GunOwner wrote:Good point and I agree with you about not spending a lot of money in the beginning as I don't really know what I want until I get more experienced. I will look into those scope mounts, I am all about buying the best bang for your buck that will get the job done.

However thinking about today, if I need to use the scope on a few different guns is there a certain scope mount I should be looking for?

For example, if I have an ar15 and a scar with a rail on the top and want to switch the scope to those guns every once in a while should I consider something different?
Yes. Different glass.

Precision glass (like your 5r would deserve), isn't really good for swapping back and forth between platforms...your zero is going to constantly change, and you're going to spend more time zeroing than shooting.

First off, define the mission...you wouldn't take a high performance driving class in a minivan, and a corvette isn't ideal for carseats and groceries. Sure, you can hammer that square peg into the round hole and force a fit, but it ain't ideal.

AR/SCAR 'tactical' glass isn't optimized for long range precision; I'd recommend getting a decent piece of glass in the low power variable class...1-4x-ish, with a tall QD mount. I have a Leupold Mark-AR in a Burris PEPR mount on my SR556E, and its an excellent setup for coyote & predator hunting, which is what I need it for right now.

If you absolutely HAVE to shoehorn 1 piece of glass onto all of your rifles, know you're paying a penalty in practicality, and get a simple 3-9x40 with BDC reticle. I'd recommend one of the newer Redfield Revolution scopes; they're simple, made by Leupold, and have a good warranty, just in case. Mounting said 'generic' scope is more of a pickle, as the ring & base combo for the AR is going to be too high for a bolt gun.

Good luck with that one.

Byrdman
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

A perfect "one-size fits all" optic for your 5R and AR/SCAR platforms is most likely not going to exist, especially if you plan on using the AR/SCAR platform for close range targets and rapid engagements and the 5R for long range precision shooting. Two different "missions" which really require two different optics. You can go with something like a 1-4x as a go-between, and while it may work fine on the AR/SCAR, you will still be limiting yourself on the 5R due to the 4x. If you can afford an AR, a SCAR, and a 5R, you can probably afford to get a suitable optic for each.