New life for the .22 Hornet

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

New life for the .22 Hornet

Post by HotGuns »

I think I may have found the ultimate suppressed .22.
Its the .22 Hornet. Its not just any Hornet, this one has a 1/7 twist .223 barrel on it.

When shooting suppressed rounds, the original barrel would not stabilize anything over 50 grains. Attempting to use some 55 grain .223 bullets at a speed of 1000 FPS only resulted in having the bullet hit the 25 yard target sideways...if it hit it at all. It simply did not work.

So, thinking that a round that could be reloaded to mimic that of a .22 LR or be loaded much hotter than that might not be a bad thing to have in the future, I got to thinking about it for awhile. The suppressed Hornet is great with 40 or 45 grain rounds, as it penetrates stuff that a full speed .22 wont even think about. I think that may be due to the bullet design as the Hornet has a nice smooth pointed bullet whereas the .22 LR is pretty blunt.

Since suppressed rounds give up energy to stay below the speed of sound, they attempt to make up what they can in bullet weight. That's why we see the 300 Blackouts shooting 220 or 240 grain bullets. They work, easily shooting completely through deer and I have yet to recover one.

We figured out that we needed a faster twist in the Hornet barrel to stabilize any thing over the standard weight bullets. So, using a Green Mountain barrel blank that I bought for 99 bucks, I chambered it and profiled it with a target weight barrel. Shooting it with 55 grain bullets which I have a gazillion of, its accurate and easy to load for. Its extremely quiet when used with a suppressor.

The 55 worked out so well that I tried the Sierra 62 grain bullets. Same thing, tight groups, very quiet.

That worked out well enough that I even tried the Sierra 69 grain bullets. I had my doubts as to whether that big long bullet would stabilize at subsonic velocity's, but they were put to rest. Working up a load using Red Dot and using small rifle primers, I think that I have found my " go to" load. This thing whacks steel plates so much harder at 100 yards than the 45 grainer did that it is immediately obvious. The two predominate sounds are the *poof* of the shot and the WHACK of the 4" steel plate that we were shooting at.

So now, we have an accurate Ruger M77 Hornet that can use the 69 grain bullets that is as quiet as anything out there that penetrates even better than the subsonic 22 LR loads and the best thing is that it is reloadable with easy to get .223 bullets.

I'm happy with it.
What do you think? Worth it or not?

jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Re: New life for the .22 Hornet

Post by jreinke »

A guy over on NFA Talk did the same thing. That got me thinking that's a pretty cool idea. Unfortunately I don't have a rifle, so I was thinking on getting a custom TC Contender barrel from Match Grade Machine in either 22 Hornet or 5.7x28 FN. I've got one of my Contender's SBR'd so I'd probably get a 14" bbl threaded for a can. I was futzing about with Quickload the other day and found out that 2.4 grs of Trail Boss will push a Speer 70 gr semi-spitzer at about a 1000 fps in a 5.7x28!
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Looks like I might have been on a good track with the FN 5.7 idea, but your Hornet is definitely the ticket. Nice work.

Quiet, cheap, easy to load, great brass life, great selection of bullets, ect. Not seeing any down side to your build.

The small furry critters in your area are in real trouble. Yes, worth it.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

Nice looking setup there! What are you using for a can on it?
Silencerco SS Sparrow
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Nice looking system. Excellent excercise in... I did it because I wanted to. Good post, thankyou.

Having said that, thought the primary advantage of the 22 hornet was the ability to shoot 22 LR projectiles at warp speed. Would think using a std 5.56 round would be easier to get to where you are.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

continuity wrote:Having said that, thought the primary advantage of the 22 hornet was the ability to shoot 22 LR projectiles at warp speed. Would think using a std 5.56 round would be easier to get to where you are.
normally yes to the higher velocity of the hornet vs. 22lr. but then again you could just go to the 223 to get even higher velocity. The advantage of the hornet vs 223 would be the lower case capacity, so trying to create a subsonic version (powder vs. capacity) and the ability to have "heavy" bullets (again hornet relative to 223) would make it more feasible... if that makes any sense? creating subsonic 223 loads can be a headache. creating subsonic 22h loads looks to be simple (akin to making 9mm subs w/ 147gr bullets).

I have a 77/22h (and a contender hornet barrel and a ruger #3 in 22 hornet for that matter), is there a source for the barrels and work done to make it fit? or is this strictly a "roll your own" kinda deal? I'm about the get a sparrow and have been following the hornet threads with interest....

guess I should start by looking up twist rates on what I have but I guess it's all too slow...
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Hot damn, I like it. I have a Ruger Hornet that just shoots like crap. Maybe it's time for a rebarrel,,, :D
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

Do reloads using the 69gr bullets fit & feed in the ruger magazine ?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Awesome project, and very attainable. Too often projects get too outlandish or specialized for the average Joe with a lathe but yours combines functionality and simplicity with a classy look.

Do you cast at all? Something like THIS MOULD would be awesome and you could cast with range scrap and lube with Johnson Paste Wax or powdercoat them and shoot cheap forever.
ohnomrbillk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ohnomrbillk »

What did you end up for load data for your subsonics?