510 Whisper Brass

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

redbullitt

510 Whisper Brass

Post by redbullitt »

Hopefully getting my 50 cal whisper barrel for my DTA covert soon...

Anyone have a good source for brass and dies?

Someone who can lathe turn my old 338 lapua brass would be great!

BUT any ideas on equipment I can use to make the brass myself would be helpful as well.
Rob1928

Re: 510 Whisper Brass

Post by Rob1928 »

Red, Lehigh has loaded ammo for $140/20, never used it so no idea as to the quality or load. Both CH4D and SSK will sell you dies.

Hornady makes SSK's dies but won't sell them to you, only thru SSK at ~$150. I don't recall CH4D's price.

SSK will sell you brass at $6/each (not a bad price) IF you have one of their guns or barrels, so now might be a good time to "remember" that long lost SSK barrel you have stashed in your sock drawer. $6 isn't bad if you consider the cost of virgin brass, machine time and set up, and longevity at moderate pressure.

Lastly, PLEASE (!!!) keep us posted on your project. My DTA Covert was just cut down to 16.25 and shoots like a house on fire.

Bob
redbullitt

Post by redbullitt »

Still waiting to hear back from CH4D, but SSK has hornady in stock. They have not replied about the brass yet.

Planning to use PTGs chamber reamer.

AND I think I have an idea on the brass. 21st century shooting has a sweet little neck turning lathe setup that I think will make the brass turning fairly straight forward. Not cheap, but more affordable than SSK brass I think AND it can be set up for other calibers.

What barrels are you shooting in yours Rob? Not sure if you have seen, but Short action customs is coming out with a 223 conversion kit, SO that means 223 bolt face calibers will be good to go!
Rob1928

Post by Rob1928 »

Red, I'm just shooting 308 in addition to the 510. The 223 bolt sounds really interesting, I hadn't heard about that but will certainly have to get one when funds allow.

My gun is not the A1 but does have the feed ramp indexing barrel. I've got a (I believe) unfired 18" 338L barrel that indexes on the pin that I'm going to sell. I want to shoot 338 in this gun but just the idea of an 18" braked Lapua is hurting what little is left of my hearing.

I posted some of my 20" load data with blue dot and 750gn amaxs in the main forum back around oct/nov. I've since had the barrel cut to 16.25" and gained about 30 fps. I'm currently reshooting a bunch of my loads to verify table but work has shut me down the last two months or so. I am more than glad to share what little I've figured out in terms of loads and hope to get a lot more range time with this in the spring.

Cheers.
redbullitt

Post by redbullitt »

That short barrel 338 would be nasty lol... Would spend most of its time in my safe haha.

Got a set of CH4D dies sitting on the bench right now. Barrel is being spun up and Short action customs as we speak.
Wound up at 16 inches, threaded 3/4 inch at muzzle.

Working on brass next via that 21st century neck turning setup.

Going to get ahold of a CBE cast bullet mold. 975g Gas check, possible hollow point too. Should be pretty wild.

Anyone have a line on any of those pointy amax looking cast bullets I have seen for this thing? Cant remember where I saw them, but they were wild.
jolyon39

Post by jolyon39 »

How has this project worked out?

I am keen to hear about the brass and any traps i should avoid!
DOZER

Post by DOZER »

I just acquired a .510 whisper on a Ruger #1 action. I meed to get dies so I can reload, SSK told me that their dies will only work for their rifles. I have no clue if this was one of SSKs rifles or not. I don't even know who the original owner was (pawnshop find). It look to be the same spec. as their rifles. I don't know where to start. I have loaded rounds and some empty brass. Info would be awesome.