Quiet Caliber/Firearm Suggestions Wanted

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tnd2

Quiet Caliber/Firearm Suggestions Wanted

Post by tnd2 »

Im thinking about a quiet carbine setup, I have a TC Contender but I would prefer to have multiple round capacity vs a single shot(I need a new/used gun!), so either a lever or bolt gun. I don't plan on suppressing it yet, and my plan is to hit steel or punch holes in paper not hunting, don't need long range performance since it's convenient to shoot in my back yard, 50 yard max distance.
Handgun calibers would be my first choice over rifle.

I recently picked up a Winchester 62a pump rifle in 22LR and with using subsonic ammo I don't need any hearing protection at all, so my girls and I quickly found that this is our favorite setup to pop steel plates. I guess what im looking for is a center fire setup that will give us the same fun factor.

I thought about a pistol caliber lever gun, 38/357, 44sp/44mag, or 45 LC would be easy options since Henry makes a carbine in all three. But I haven't been able to determine if a 38 would be quieter than a 45 LC? Id rather have the 45, since the thought of a heavy grain bullet slapping some steel sounds great, but then wouldn't a subsonic 300BLK be an easy setup for a bolt gun?

If there's something ive overlooked in my searches please let me know, im trying to determine if theres a rule of thumb to quiet performance? Small diameter(38 spl) vs large bore(45LC), or small case volume(38spl) vs large case(300BLK)? I reload so im not limited to buying off the shelf ammo options.

Thanks guys.
SpeedyR

Re: Quiet Caliber/Firearm Suggestions Wanted

Post by SpeedyR »

ruger 77/44 or 77/357 and a can. bolt action, rotary magazine, quiet. easy to load subsonic. 44 mag/special with any 240gr bullets. 38 with 158gr bullets and the right powder load. quiet, and a decent weight bullets.

lever actions are good but threading them can be difficult depending upon the magazine tube. I have a ruger 96/44 that I will thread in the future and use an octane 45 can with it.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

SpeedyR wrote:ruger 77/44 or 77/357 and a can. bolt action, rotary magazine, quiet. easy to load subsonic. 44 mag/special with any 240gr bullets. 38 with 158gr bullets and the right powder load. quiet, and a decent weight bullets.

+1
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
tnd2

Post by tnd2 »

Thanks guys, any thought towards my question about case volume vs diameter in choosing a quieter caliber?
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

.38 should be better than .44 or .45, but how much so will be subjective. I know that .45 out of a carbine barrel is pretty quiet and so is .38, but I haven't shot both side by side. When you do get a suppressor, having a smaller exit hole will in general be better than a bigger one. That being one edge 300 blackout has over pistol caliber stuff. That said, if pistol caliber is the way you want to go, then a .38 or 9mm is a batter option. There are also more options on the market for 9mm cans.

I handled a 77-357 in stainless at a LGS recently. It was really nice. I f I hadn't just pulled the trigger on 300 Blackout I would have been hard pressed to walk away from that rifle. It was hard enough doing so as it is but I just couldn't throw that much money on the impulse after the amount of gun fun money I have blown in the last month.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

The powder will also make a big difference. Personal preference and you can always use the 45 can on a 357-38.