Let's talk about suppressed ARs with really dirty FCGs

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Let's talk about suppressed ARs with really dirty FCGs

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

I was working up some loads for my Leonidas last weekend when my trigger started to malfunction. Wouldn't reset properly, I had to pull it back a bit then snap my finger off the side to get it to completely reset.

It's a Springfield special, that guy in Colorado Springs, and it's the second trigger of his that's done this. I took it home and pulled it out, and of course it was caked in a carbon/oil/grease slurry. I cleaned it, dry fired it, seemed ok.

Farting around online, and found the ALGs on sale at PA, so I got an ACT and a pair of wolff springs (trigger/discon). My intent is to run ALGs heavy hammer spring with the wolff lighter springs and hopefully land somewhere around 4.5#

Here's my question: Since this gun runs really dirty (always suppressed and lots of 1680 charged loads) will the lighter wolff springs in the trigger and discon have trouble resetting the trigger through all that gunk? Mr. Springfield bends the mil springs to achieve a lighter pull, so did his trigger start acting up because it was filthy, or because of the spring modification, or because it's finally worn through where he polished the hardening off?

The reason I ask all these questions is because the Leo is to be my HD rifle once I get some little stuff figured out, so I can't have the trigger not resetting. I'd prefer a slightly lighter pull than the ALGs 6#, but not at the expense of reliability. I know they include a lighter hammer spring, but we all know what that can lead to, so I'll stay with the standard one.

Thanks all.
Proper grammar is awesome.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Let's talk about suppressed ARs with really dirty FCGs

Post by quiettime »

it sounds like you need to clean your FCG more often. They make it really easy, just push one pin, spray some carb cleaner in there and re-lube. Problem solved and you keep the nice trigger feel
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Let's talk about suppressed ARs with really dirty FCGs

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

I removed all that guy's triggers from all my ARs, replaced the one in my Leonidas with the ALG ACT and wolff spring combo, and luckily had enough parts laying around to make two pretty OK mil triggers for my carbines. Had to steal from the SBR to make it happen, but since it doesn't have an upper, no biggie.

I'll get that ALG nice and dirty and see what happens.
Proper grammar is awesome.