Dark horse Arms/Johns gun 77/44 problem

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BATaxidermy

Dark horse Arms/Johns gun 77/44 problem

Post by BATaxidermy »

In October my stamp came back to pick up my new Darkhorse Arms 77/44 integral. I started working on load development and despite 8 different bullets from 180g to 300g and 3 different powders with many different charges (about 250 different subsonic load combos) the gun always shoots a 3 to 3.5” 5 shot group at 60 yards. I will usually get 3 within an inch and two flyers. This accuracy is unexceptable to me. I tried to contact Darkhorse Ams but found out the owner died in late October so I can’t reach them. I took I.t to my gunsmith to have a look. When the inner barrel retention ring was pulled the barrel was sprung about 1/4 inch off center of the outer tube. Is this normal for the barrel to be non concentric with the outer tube and then sprung a quarter inch back to center? I’m at a loss as what to do next to address the accuracy issue thinking this is likely why I’m having issues. Help!
Mugsy9010

Re: Dark horse Arms/Johns gun 77/44 problem

Post by Mugsy9010 »

I just got mine late last year (77/44 from Dark Horse) and I have the same issue regarding accuracy. I haven't investigated to the same point you have but I'm sure it's a similar reason. Honestly I was so frustrated with it I put it in the safe to deal with later.

I was pretty disappointed with them from early on. Poor communication and missed promises, I would have been fine with a six month lead-time from the start but I get upset when I'm told 30 days and then it finally ships in six months, and only then after repeated phone calls.

My understanding is that a 07/02 can rebuild an existing can, I'll probably go that route once I get some of my other half finished projects completed.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dark horse Arms/Johns gun 77/44 problem

Post by fishman »

Is this normal for the barrel to be non concentric with the outer tube and then sprung a quarter inch back to center?
No
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647