Semi-auto 22LR action mods for subsonics?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

yondering
Silent But Deadly

Semi-auto 22LR action mods for subsonics?

Post by yondering »

I just picked up a Marlin 7000 that needs some work for cycling subsonic ammo. I know there are a lot of tricks out there for 10/22's that I may be able to apply to my Marlin. Can you guys suggest any? Besides my list below, am I missing anything to try?

I haven't tried any of the following yet, but this is what I've heard of, in the order of what I will try first:

1. Chamfer rear of bolt (The marlin has a pretty good chamfer already but I can probably improve it some.)
2. Polish the bolt and mainspring strut.
3. Lighten the bolt by drilling and/or grinding. (This is my last resort, I'd rather not do this unless nothing else works.)

I should add that I'd like to still be able to shoot Federal bulk pack High-velocity stuff from Wal-Mart, but I don't need or plan to use Stingers, Velocitors, etc.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Semi-auto 22LR action mods for subsonics?

Post by L1A1Rocker »

yondering wrote:I just picked up a Marlin 7000 that needs some work for cycling subsonic ammo. I know there are a lot of tricks out there for 10/22's that I may be able to apply to my Marlin. Can you guys suggest any? Besides my list below, am I missing anything to try?

I haven't tried any of the following yet, but this is what I've heard of, in the order of what I will try first:

1. Chamfer rear of bolt (The marlin has a pretty good chamfer already but I can probably improve it some.)
3. Lighten the bolt by drilling and/or grinding. (This is my last resort, I'd rather not do this unless nothing else works.)

I should add that I'd like to still be able to shoot Federal bulk pack High-velocity stuff from Wal-Mart, but I don't need or plan to use Stingers, Velocitors, etc.
I've lightened the bolt on Ruger Mk IIs with great success. I came upon an old conversion kit of a budy of mine to make the Mk II run on shorts. The kit came with a skeletonised bolt for the lighter loading of the shorts. I just copied that bolt. Worked great.
Rgray
Elite Member

Re: Semi-auto 22LR action mods for subsonics?

Post by Rgray »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
yondering wrote:I just picked up a Marlin 7000 that needs some work for cycling subsonic ammo. I know there are a lot of tricks out there for 10/22's that I may be able to apply to my Marlin. Can you guys suggest any? Besides my list below, am I missing anything to try?

I've lightened the bolt on Ruger Mk IIs with great success. I came upon an old conversion kit of a budy of mine to make the Mk II run on shorts. The kit came with a skeletonised bolt for the lighter loading of the shorts. I just copied that bolt. Worked great.

could you post pics of the lightened bolt ? I would like to know where it is lightened at.
TIA