Flintlock

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dhoganjr
Elite Member

Flintlock

Post by dhoganjr »

With all the high-tech weapons, gadgets, space age metals, etc., I'm thinking about getting back to basics with a flintlock rifle just for fun. The problem is I don't know anything about them, i.e. manufacturers, quality, what to look for, what to avoid, etc. I've checked out Gunbroker but it seems they only have non-firing replicas or antiques.

Anybody able to help me out here?

Thanks.
More than 20+ years shooting the same P7M8 and not one failure. Hoping for the same from my USP 40 and 45

HK P7M8
HK USP 40 with CCF barrel and AAC Evo 40
HK USP 45
Sig 556 with AAC M4-2000 Mod 07
And more...
66yellow
Silent But Deadly
Location: Historic Isle of Wight County in the great Commonwealth of Virginia

Post by 66yellow »

I have a flintlock pistol that I enjoy playing around with, but I don't know much about flintlocks in general.

I think it'd be hard to go wrong with a flintlock from one of the better known replica manufacturers like Pedersoli. I own several cartridge Pedersolis and they're well made.

You should get in touch with one of your local N-SSA outfits. Most of those guys are experts on all things blackpowder and will talk to you for days (and days) about shooting blackpowder rifles/muskets for accuracy.
dhoganjr
Elite Member

Post by dhoganjr »

Thanks Cortland!
More than 20+ years shooting the same P7M8 and not one failure. Hoping for the same from my USP 40 and 45

HK P7M8
HK USP 40 with CCF barrel and AAC Evo 40
HK USP 45
Sig 556 with AAC M4-2000 Mod 07
And more...
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

If you want a high quality flintlock rifle look at www.trackofthewolf.com/ I know one of the gun smiths on there (Jack Brooks) and he does AWESOME work. They also have the accesories you'd need to look the period you're aiming for. Have fun with your smoke pole!
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.

Post by 0007 »

You might check out www.rifleshoppe.com(I think it is). They have "kits" that will let you build one yourself. I really want either a Baker or a Ferguson.
Oderint dum Metuant
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

0007 wrote:You might check out www.rifleshoppe.com(I think it is). They have "kits" that will let you build one yourself. I really want either a Baker or a Ferguson.
Bakers are nice, they handle almost like a modern rifle in terms of feel and balance.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

Do you want a shooter or a wall hanger?

Lyman makes a very nice Hawken flintlock clone. If you are looking for a shooter, I don't think you could do better than there gun in 1-66 in .54. Use REAL blackpowder.

For a wall hanger www.trackofthewolf.com/

For reference I have a:
CVA Remington 1958 clone (ABSOLUTE CRAP)

Encore (Good SHOOTER)

Cabelas Hawken .54 clone caplock (not a bad shooter, good for hunting when you have to go traditional)

Pedersolis flintlock pistol (decent wall hanger, I haven't shot it enough to really get a good feel for it.)
Last edited by RWBlue on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Books to read, The black powder guide by Maj.George Nonte, the black powder loaders Manuel by shooters digest , the complete shooter by Sam Falada.

You might try search using basic black powder guns, basic black powder shooting, etc. Even try wikipedia.

Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

I once read an article by Ross Syfried about shooting with a flint lock shotgun. I found it on the internet somewhere, it was a very interesting read
Rifleshooter2

Re: Flintlock

Post by Rifleshooter2 »

dhoganjr wrote:With all the high-tech weapons, gadgets, space age metals, etc., I'm thinking about getting back to basics with a flintlock rifle just for fun. The problem is I don't know anything about them, i.e. manufacturers, quality, what to look for, what to avoid, etc. I've checked out Gunbroker but it seems they only have non-firing replicas or antiques.

Anybody able to help me out here?

Thanks.
Well thats alot in one question. Flintlocks are a very personal weapon you have so many types to choose from. What are you interist i.e. Military style weapons or civilian. Will you be hunting with it and what type of game if you are. Or will this be a range rifle just for fun. There are a large number of manufacturers out there that make a quality gun and just as many that make junk. If you just want a good entry level rifle that is a good shooter and not to far from being an accurate representation of a period gun then the Lyman Plans rifle is a good choice.

Andy
www.legionville.com