Suppressed AR10A4?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Counter-Insurgent

Suppressed AR10A4?

Post by Counter-Insurgent »

Please forgive my ultra - noobness. In my search for the best muzzlebrake for my AR10A4 (OPS INC?) , a highly reputable gunsmith suggested that I consider a suppressor instead. Quiet is great, but I am primarily interested in the fastest possible follow- up shots. I have heard that it is possible to watch the bullet impact from the optic of the suppressed rifle. (.308)
Any feedback would be appreciated . Rem 700VLS .308
AA 6.5 Grendel Hunter
Bushy 16" HBAR
AR10A4
Imbel FAL shorty
Eagle Firearms LW 5.56
Rifles listed in order of accuracy
lawndart

Post by lawndart »

You can have your cake and eat it too.
A supressor is the best muzzle brake. Some of them can increase your weapons accuracy.
I have some screw on cans that work just fine, but am going to get some of the newer models that attach over a muzzle brake. I'm looking at the RD Precision model. Kevin from AAC can tell you about his new quick detachables. That is what my girlfriend is getting.
Life is good, and getting gooder.

lawndart
"Oh nothing mom; just pounding priomers with a hammer."
chrisva
Silent But Deadly

Post by chrisva »

what are you shooting? A can will be queit but if you doing running and gunning stuff 3gun you might want a brake. the JP tank brake is very good but very loud. if your shooting long range comp sniper matches were there is little movement then a can will do great.
William Perkins
Silent Operator

Post by William Perkins »

chrisva wrote:if you doing running and gunning stuff 3gun you might want a brake.
This is an important point since the addition of a suppressor would put a competitior into 'open' class if it is an IPSC sanctioned match. It is dumb but suppressors fit the definition of an 'open' muzzle brake since suppressors are >1" in diameter and >1.75" in length.

Some of the matches like Rocky Mountain 3-gun, and I believe Kyle Lambs, make exceptions to this rule since they are using 'IMG' rules instead of IPSC rules. This means that the Army team, and other SF shooters that are participating in these matches don't get thrown in with Matt Burkett and the other professional 'open' shooters. Besides, even though they have suppressors on their rifles, the rest of their gear is 'limited' compliant, and having a suppressor on your gun is NOT a competitive advantage.

Real Peace is not the absence of conflict; it is the presence of justice.
Counter-Insurgent

Post by Counter-Insurgent »

Not shooting any matches yet, just trying to maximize the potential of this rifle for possible security work. Thanks for the reply lawndart, your input coincides with much that I've read . I'll probably opt for a threaded suppressor ,5/8 x24tpi .
Given the fact that the AR10A4 is already a light recoiling .308, would it be possible to maintain a visual on a target via rifle optic while taking multiple shots?
"All Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
lawndart

Post by lawndart »

Yes indeed.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

We designed and developed the silencers for the SASS program (AR10) for Armalite and Colt. Armalite is offering our silencer with their SASS entry to civilians and law enforcement. The S3R silencer will debut at the SHOT SHOW in a few weeks. It exceeds the SASS requirements for accuracy, flash reduction, size, weight, and sound. It is an over the barrel design, incorporates the standard Armalite flash hider and is a rigid fast-attach mount.
lawndart

Post by lawndart »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, time to save some money up.
kgw

Suppressor

Post by kgw »

Surefire makes an excellent one in my opinion! Mine dampens the sound dramatically, it cut the recoil by 90% or better. I can easily watch bullet impact. I just wish I had done this, years ago.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Most your .308 cans are going work great i use a yhm q.d. its a little heavy,but its stout.The one thing i noticed is the gas blowback into the shooters face. I havent bought a gas buster charging handle yet ,but i think it might help. I shoot my lr.308 without ear plugs,its alot of fun. :lol:
michealj
Silent Operator

Post by michealj »

Suppressing my AR-10 is the best improvement I made to the weapon. I do not run and gun with this rifle because it weighs a ton, but while I'm watching the rounds impact the 600 yard plate, I forget all about how much she weighs.
Between the suppressor and the weight I have no problems with follow up shots, and watching the bullet impact is common practice on anything 200 yards and out. If you have the means to do it, do it and don't look back.

bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

michealj - That is a sharp looking rifle! Is that a 3rd model?
michealj
Silent Operator

Post by michealj »

bigbigpig wrote:michealj - That is a sharp looking rifle! Is that a 3rd model?
Thanks, it is a 12th model.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

I have a 12th 5.56 on the way for an SPR but may add a 12th 7.62 to that order to do an AR-10 like that. I love Ops mounting system and that 12th looks perfect on that rifle.
gcrookston

Post by gcrookston »

just got the can for my Super SASS and am looking forward to trying it out. They YHM will also be used on my M4. I've not had a chance to shoot it with the can yet, but the AR10's recoil is very light without a brake.

gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Just took my yhm out and tried it out on my ar10 for the first time and i was impressed to say the least.I also put a jp adjustable gas block on it.Between the two i could shoot it all day without a sour sholder.I also put a pri gas buster on it,which didnt do a whole lot. :lol:
bmanka
Silent But Deadly

Post by bmanka »

michaelj,

What kind of barrel do you have on that AR10? Is it a Noveski? What length is it?

Great looking setup.
Patriot In Training
gcrookston

Post by gcrookston »

gunguy wrote:Just took my yhm out and tried it out on my ar10 for the first time and i was impressed to say the least.I also put a jp adjustable gas block on it.Between the two i could shoot it all day without a sour sholder.I also put a pri gas buster on it,which didnt do a whole lot. :lol:
Looking forward to trying mine. The super SASS comes with the PRI gas-buster. I took a hint from a friend of mine and applied some silicon around the GB handle...
michealj
Silent Operator

Post by michealj »

bmanka wrote:michaelj,

What kind of barrel do you have on that AR10? Is it a Noveski? What length is it?

Great looking setup.
It's an 18" Noveske contoured for the Ops Inc. 12th model.
Thanks.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

i have seen bullets flying with a ruger 45 and my 22s but not the rifle calibers. what causes this? is it just better ability for the mind and eye to focus cuz their istnt the huge blast?
its quiet time!
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

You will not see the actually bullet -- you can see swirl, and bullet strike from 5.56mm, 7.62mm etc.

You can see .45 since its a slow round, you may even beat it to the target walking quickly :wink:

OPSINC makes a nice thread on can for the 7.62
Kevin S. Boland

Director of Military Operations
Knight's Armament Company
701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

http://www.knightarmco.com
horizonanr

Post by horizonanr »

KevinB wrote:You will not see the actually bullet -- you can see swirl, and bullet strike from 5.56mm, 7.62mm etc.
Actually, with the right conditions (sun at your back) it is possible to observe the flight of a bullet if the light reflects off the tail just so.
falar

Post by falar »

Kevin/AAC wrote:We designed and developed the silencers for the SASS program (AR10) for Armalite and Colt. Armalite is offering our silencer with their SASS entry to civilians and law enforcement. The S3R silencer will debut at the SHOT SHOW in a few weeks. It exceeds the SASS requirements for accuracy, flash reduction, size, weight, and sound. It is an over the barrel design, incorporates the standard Armalite flash hider and is a rigid fast-attach mount.
Any updates on when this will be available?

If it performs on par with the SCAR-H then I think I will finally decide on a .308 can.
Norseviking

Twist and lock

Post by Norseviking »

I am looking for a twist and lock type can, anyone have any suggestion as far as brands go for my AR-10A4. Any other info you can share would be more than welcome.
Old18C

Re: Suppressed AR10A4?

Post by Old18C »

After breaking in the AR-10A4 in decided the EOTech was not enough optic and put 3x9 Buris Electro dot on it as the rifle would shoot better than I could see with the EOTech. This is a Surefire FA762K that I switch between this rifle, an M1A, and a Steyr 300 Win Mag.