M4 Test Results in

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

M4 Test Results in

Post by PPGMD »

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/12/a ... st_071217/
The M4 carbine, the weapon soldiers depend on in combat, finished last in a recent “extreme dust test” to demonstrate the M4’s reliability compared to three newer carbines.

Weapons officials at the Army Test and Evaluation Command at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., exposed Colt Defense LLC’s M4, along with the Heckler & Koch XM8, FNH USA’s Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle and the H&K 416 to sandstorm conditions from late September to late November, firing 6,000 rounds through each test weapon.

When the test was completed, ATEC officials found that the M4 performed “significantly worse” than the other three weapons, sources told Army Times.

Officials tested 10 each of the four carbine models, firing a total of 60,000 rounds per model. Here’s how they ranked, according to the total number of times each model stopped firing:

• XM8: 127 stoppages.

• MK16 SCAR Light: 226 stoppages.

• 416: 233 stoppages.

• M4: 882 stoppages.

the results of the test were “a wake-up call,” but Army officials continue to stand by the current carbine, said Brig. Gen. Mark Brown, commander of Program Executive Office Soldier, the command that is responsible for equipping soldiers.

“We take the results of this test with a great deal of interest and seriousness,” Brown said, expressing his determination to outfit soldiers with the best equipment possible.

The test results did not sway the Army’s faith in the M4, he said.

“Everybody in the Army has high confidence in this weapon,” Brown said.

Lighter and more compact than the M16 rifle, the M4 is more effective for the close confines of urban combat. The Army began fielding the M4 in the mid-1990s.

Army weapons officials agreed to perform the test at the request of Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., in July. Coburn took up the issue following a Feb. 26 Army Times report on moves by elite Army combat forces to ditch the M4 in favor of carbines they consider more reliable. Coburn is questioning the Army’s plans to spend $375 million to purchase M4s through fiscal 2009.

Coburn raised concerns over the M4’s “long-standing reliability” problems in an April 12 letter and asked if the Army had considered newer, possibly better weapons available on the commercial market.

John Hart, a spokesman for Coburn, who was traveling, said the senator was reviewing the test results and had yet to discuss it with the Army.

The M4, like its predecessor, the M16, uses a gas tube system, which relies on the gas created when a bullet is fired to cycle the weapon. Some weapons experts maintain the M4’s system of blowing gas directly into the firing mechanism of the weapon spews carbon residue that can lead to fouling and heat that dries up lubrication, causing excessive wear on parts.

The other contenders in the dust test — the XM8, SCAR and 416 — use a piston-style operating system, which relies on a gas-driven piston rod to cycle the weapon during firing. The gas is vented without funneling through the firing mechanism.

The Army’s Delta Force replaced its M4s with the H&K 416 in 2004 after tests revealed that the piston operating system significantly reduces malfunctions while increasing the life of parts. The elite unit collaborated with the German arms maker to develop the new carbine.

U.S. Special Operations Command has also revised its small-arms requirements. In November 2004, SOCom awarded a developmental contract to FN Herstal to develop its new SCAR to replace its weapons from the M16 family.

And from 2002 to 2005, the Army developed the XM8 as a replacement for the Army’s M16 family. The program led to infighting within the service’s weapons community and eventually died after failing to win approval at the Defense Department level.
A breakdown of the numbers between the two tests, would be nice if we had an AK to compare it to.
XM8: 0.21% 127 stoppages (winter test)

MK16 SCAR Light: 0.38% 226 stoppages (winter test)

416: 0.39% 233 stoppages (winter test)

M16A4: 0.85% 507 stoppages (summer test heavy lube)

M4: 1.13% 678 stoppages (summer test heavy lube)

M4: 1.47% 882 stoppages (winter test heavy lube)

Also interesting is that many of the M-4 stoppages were magazine related:
M4 suffered 643 weapon-related stoppages, such as failure to eject or failure to extract fired casings, and 239 magazine-related stoppages.
Since the 416 uses similar magazines and didn't have nearly as many stoppages I wonder if we should consider better magazines like the Hk mags or the Pmags.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
aarudd
Silent Operator

Post by aarudd »

Intresting results with the sand test. It would have been nice to see how many stoppages AK would have.

I thought the MK 16 SCAR light used M16 magazines also. I wonder what magazine the SCAR light was using with the sand test?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

aarudd wrote: I wonder what magazine the SCAR light was using with the sand test?
I would say a SCAR magazine would be a good guess.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The test results did not sway the Army’s faith in the M4, he said.

“Everybody in the Army has high confidence in this weapon,” Brown said.

Is he shitting me? "Everybody?" How about "Some in the Army have high confidence in this weapon.”
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

I was in the Army and if given the choice I would take any of the three other weapons, not the M-4.

Granted that I took good care of my M-4 and did not have problems with it. That was not typical, even guys that went out with us every day wouldn't take care of their weapon like you would imagine.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am ok with an M4 for my personal use but if I were the Army I would want to replace it. I like the SCAR a lot.
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

I am really looking forward to the Masada coming out myself. I will let it get out in use and let any problems surface before I commit to it. But that will be my next carbine unless it totally tanks.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

rsilvers wrote:I am ok with an M4 for my personal use but if I were the Army I would want to replace it. I like the SCAR a lot.
Why the SCAR, why not go with a 416 or one of the other pistons coming out? You won't have to do much retraining, and you get to keep what's best of the AR-15 based rifles, it's modularity and availability of third party parts.

The Hk fanboys are loving this.

Personally I would like to see this test done comparing different mags, and different piston systems. Since the test shows the M-4 had more magazine failures then the 416 had total failures.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

aarudd
Silent Operator

Post by aarudd »

I also agree they should compare different magazines. Would the 416 and SCAR have much the same magazine failures with USGI magazines as the M4 did?
NickB

Post by NickB »

Poacher wrote:I am really looking forward to the Masada coming out myself. I will let it get out in use and let any problems surface before I commit to it. But that will be my next carbine unless it totally tanks.
Keep your eyes peeled at SHOT. Personally, I really want a 416 upper. I was hooked after shooting Kevin's last September.
--Nick
VP of Business Development for SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

another good reason to go to SHOT, I can't wait to see all the new goodies.
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
NickB

Post by NickB »

GaLEO wrote:another good reason to go to SHOT, I can't wait to see all the new goodies.
I don't know what to expect. I hope FN raises the bar with the SCAR for all our sakes. Something tells me they won't, but we can hope...
--Nick
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

what we need is an AFFORDABLE bar raisin'.......
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
NickB

Post by NickB »

GaLEO wrote:what we need is an AFFORDABLE bar raisin'.......
Touche. If I can buy an HK upper for a reasonable price, I'll buy one. I'll steal a damn Masada if I have to, but I'll have one of those, too. :P
--Nick
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

You start a commotion and i will grab the s--t and run.....with 3 kids and a wife in college that is about my only option!!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

PPGMD wrote:
rsilvers wrote:I am ok with an M4 for my personal use but if I were the Army I would want to replace it. I like the SCAR a lot.
Why the SCAR, why not go with a 416 or one of the other pistons coming out?
I would never equate one of the other piston rifles to a 416 or SCAR without doing the same type of testing that has been done to the SCAR and 416. POFs seem to be blowing up left and right. Having a piston does not make a rifle better than a Colt M4 until it is proven better. The 416 seems to be better but the others are an unknown.
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

rsilvers wrote:I would never equate one of the other piston rifles to a 416 or SCAR without doing the same type of testing that has been done to the SCAR and 416. POFs seem to be blowing up left and right. Having a piston does not make a rifle better than a Colt M4 until it is proven better. The 416 seems to be better but the others are an unknown.
You don't know until you test them. I would like to see how various piston rifles like the POF, LWRC, LMT, Colt and others stack up.

POF blowing up, I have only seen a few most of them are caused by things other then POF system, like bad ammo.

Oh in March SAR will be doing a POF vs DI test. Not sure what rifle they are using for the DI test, but I will be getting an issue to read the results.

shark31
Silent But Deadly

Post by shark31 »

I agree with Robert on this one. Though I would rather have it be replaced by the American KAC PDW if it proves to be reliable.

The really frustrating part of all this to me is that the military is looking to spend all this money on a completely new weapon system that fires the same cartridge as what they are replacing.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

We bought the M-16 in the name of "versatility". Then we don't use that versatility. We have essentially painted ourselves into a corner. :?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

PPGMD wrote:
Oh in March SAR will be doing a POF vs DI test. Not sure what rifle they are using for the DI test, but I will be getting an issue to read the results.
If the POF blows up, do you think they will publish that? Or just ask them for another one, not report it, and try again? I am not sure I would trust any gun magazine to do testing. The simply cannot sell ads if they print negative reviews.
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

rsilvers wrote:If the POF blows up, do you think they will publish that? Or just ask them for another one, not report it, and try again? I am not sure I would trust any gun magazine to do testing. The simply cannot sell ads if they print negative reviews.
I believe the test is the stoppage test. I also doubt that it will blow up, there have been what 3-4 reports of kabooms, at least two were confirmed to be ammo issues like the lack of a proper crimp for the one at the silencer shoot.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

PPGMD wrote: at least two were confirmed to be ammo issues like the lack of a proper crimp for the one at the silencer shoot.
Who 'confirmed' it? I do not consider that settled. It could have been the design of the bolt carrier group.
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

rsilvers wrote:Who 'confirmed' it? I do not consider that settled. It could have been the design of the bolt carrier group.
Most by POF, but in all cases the ammo company was billed, you would think that if it wasn't their fault ammo companies wouldn't be paying for a $1,200 upper.

The most common reports of the Kabooms seem to be photos of three of them, one was caused by Wolf (This is the one where the bolt is visible), one was caused by Remington, and the final one is the silencer shoot kaboom.

NickB

Post by NickB »

shark31 wrote:I agree with Robert on this one. Though I would rather have it be replaced by the American KAC PDW if it proves to be reliable.
But how good is the 6x35 beyond 100 meters? My understanding is that it is the best cartridge ever developed for close quarters, but we can do much better for real battle rifle calibers. Ever looked into the 7x46 Murray? That looks promising to me. Its inventor, Dr. Gary Roberts, says the 6x35 should replace all subguns, and the 7x46 should replace both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO, a longer-range rifle caliber used for sniper applications (.338LM?).

Either way, I'm with you - 5.56 is on the way out eventually.
--Nick
shark31
Silent But Deadly

Post by shark31 »

NickB wrote:
shark31 wrote:I agree with Robert on this one. Though I would rather have it be replaced by the American KAC PDW if it proves to be reliable.
But how good is the 6x35 beyond 100 meters?
How good is the M-4 past 100 meters firing M855? :wink: We are talking about a replacement for the M-4, so you have to also take into account that the PDW is half the weight and much smaller in size. I've only been in 2 firefights where the distance was over 200 meters at which point the 240B comes into play. Size and weight are important factors to consider in MOUT.

I too believe that the 7x46 Murray is a great concept, and is the ultimate solution to the problem if we had a clean slate to draw up a totally new weapon system. However, at this point all weapons that are ****currently**** suitable as a host for this round are built to fire the 7.62NATO and a little on the big side.

The 6.8SPC was designed to be the most effective solution that would still function reliably in a weapon system designed for 5.56NATO. Because of the fact that much of NATO will still utilize 5.56mm ammunition, I think it is a good idea to have a rifle that can fire surplus ammo via a bolt, barrel, and mag change. The 6.8SPC makes the most sense from a bean-counter viewpoint.

I would take ANY of the above over what is currently used and be happy as a pig in s--t.

I just think it's a shame that if the HK-416 or FN SCAR are adopted that American companies won't be supplying American troops with American small arms at all (FN already makes most of the belt-feds). That is why I am somewhat biased towards the KAC.

But everyone knows that we won't ever fight the Germans..............for a third time in a century. So maybe Matthew Cox does have a point in kissing HK's ballsack.......again (and making troops doubt their equipment).