.22 Shorts

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

J-Grass

.22 Shorts

Post by J-Grass »

Newbie question.
Will shorts shoot ok thru my 10/22 build with a TAC65 on the end of it? I know they won't cycle, but thats not an issue. I just worry about them creating baffle strikes, or end cap strikes. Picking up the suppressor tomorrow, and want to make sure before I try it!!
Thanks, John
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

As long as they fly straight without the can, and the threading is concentric to the bore, you will have no issues.
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

There is really no good reason to shoot shorts in any weapon chambered for 22LR. It's more expensive than LR and offers no advantage.
At the lower end of the velocity spectrum, you have CCI CB Caps @~750fps. Then sub-sonic from many sources at 1015-1050fps. These latter loads will cycle a semi.
Unless your sitting on a bunch of Shorts,why pay more for less?
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
J-Grass

Post by J-Grass »

Thanks Guys,
I only have a handful of shorts left. I use them mostly for urban pest control. Time to start experimenting with different LR ammo to see which does best out of this gun. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $100 and have been slowly building it up exactly how I wanted it. I don't think I've shot 75 rounds thru it yet.
Thanks, John
CKxx

Post by CKxx »

I use Aguila SuperExtra's in my 10/22 and it is much more quiet than CCI SS ammo. I'd recommend giving it a try.
uspc9mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by uspc9mm »

I shot some CCI shorts out of my can thinking they would be quiet.

They werent. I had to quickly run inside... :shock:
AKSPEC

Post by AKSPEC »

uspc9mm wrote:I shot some CCI shorts out of my can thinking they would be quiet.

I know what you mean! :lol:
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

AKSPEC wrote:
uspc9mm wrote:I shot some CCI shorts out of my can thinking they would be quiet.

I know what you mean! :lol:
Made that mistake once with federal bulk pack in my 10/22 & Warlock combo- oops
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

Been there, done that......... :D
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Try getting some Rem CBee Longs or CCI CB longs instead of shorts. I believe they are the exact same loading as shorts, only a LR length case so they can actually grab the bore if you want to go with super quiet but still have some power.

Either way, you'll never get any accuracy out of either of them. You need like a 1:22 twist rate to stabilize those things apparently.

Oh, and Aguila powderless rounds are even quieter than shorts and longs. Shorts in every .22 rifle that I have fired them out of without a silencer were airgun/backyard quiet even in Connecticut. Powderless rounds are even quieter still. They're like subsonics with a silencer out of a rifle length barrel. Either one out of a short pistol barrel sound like a .22 still.

I've had no problems with my Mite and shorts, longs, or powderless. Although, none of them did anything special for me. I keep buying longs and powderless rounds for my 96/22 though, because I haven't had it threaded yet and it'll cycle anything long enough to reach the bore.