9MM AR MASTER THREAD

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9MM AR MASTER THREAD

Post by rob_s »

I cannot imagine any reason I would want anything other than the stock, GI trigger in a 9mm AR. This is not a precision gun, it's a subgun facsimile.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

Bought me a brand new in the box colt law enforcement 9mm
Came with a cleaning kit and two colt  32 round magazines for 960.00 including tax
 Got to shoot it today and the only thing I don't like is a large spring sound when shot..... Anything I can do to lessen the spring sound

MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

zevdogs wrote:Bought me a brand new in the box colt law enforcement 9mm
Came with a cleaning kit and two colt  32 round magazines for 960.00 including tax
 Got to shoot it today and the only thing I don't like is a large spring sound when shot..... Anything I can do to lessen the spring sound

Try a heavier spring and/or buffer. This should slow down all your moving parts and hopfully dampen your noise.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

Bought this Buffer Technologies Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer AR-15 Rifle 5-7/8"
PROBLEM FIXED

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=332866
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

zevdogs wrote:Bought this Buffer Technologies Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer AR-15 Rifle 5-7/8"
PROBLEM FIXED

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=332866
Your results may very but this never did ANY good for any of my rifles. Do your DD with this product before you drop coin on it.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

zevdogs wrote:Bought me a brand new in the box colt law enforcement 9mm

Just finished my colt 9mm and suppressor... Pined and welded so no sbr stamp

Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Regarding srt-4_uk comment on previous page, what is the relationship between a ramped bolt and a new/replacement trigger? Cannto figure from the question if a ramped bolt is good or bad or just plain ugly.
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

Sorry, if this may have be covered somewhere but could not find. Building 9mm ar setup off one of the lonewolf lowers. Planning on using a standard .223/5.56 upper, with no gas tube needed do you block the hole in the upper. I will be using my multimount most if not all the time. Please anything would help. Thank you.
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have built several 9mm AR's and they have all ran great even with the cprod mags.
I have found that some of the colt style barrel makers dont do the propper 60 deg feed ramp
at the entrance of the chamber or make it large enough to guide the bullets in.
I purchase a spikes 9mm barrel a couple years back and had a SRT muffler installed on it without test
shooting that barrel first and it had feeding problems.
It would feed a mag or two then it would jam up with factory and hand loads :?
When I got home I gave it a good cleaning and then noticed the chamber entrance looked strange.
I grabbed one of my colt 9mm barrels and one of my own barrels and found the
entrance was to small and the wrong angle to have reliable feeding.
I took that barrel off and hit the lathe to give it a good chamber entrance angle and
now it feeds great even with non round nose bullets like some hollow points and
even runs good with the cprod mags.
Even with the Colt mags it would sometimes jam up and realy jam alot with non round nose bullets.
If your 9mm wont run with the cprod mags or sometimes with the colt/metalform mags then the barrel chamber entrance could be another thing to look at.
This is a barrel with the 60 deg angle chamber entrance that helps feed ammo nice
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

audiojason wrote:Sorry, if this may have be covered somewhere but could not find. Building 9mm ar setup off one of the lonewolf lowers. Planning on using a standard .223/5.56 upper, with no gas tube needed do you block the hole in the upper. I will be using my multimount most if not all the time. Please anything would help. Thank you.
I didnt
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Factory YHM 5.5 inch 9mm SBR with a few extras. This will be its temporary setup for the next 5-6 months until the stamp comes back for my Octane9 HD.
Monopolyman

Post by Monopolyman »

Here is my Colt 6450 with a 10.5" RRA upper. Took 6 months to get my stamp, now waiting on a form 4. I agree, stock trigger is just right. I put in 7 quarters taped together to dampen the spring noise and protect my bolt stop from breaking. BTW, my 6450 is a 1994 model, right at the beginning of the AWB ( Colt says it was a transition gun) so it does not have the "Law enforcement only" warning. It does, however say, 9mm Nato on the receiver and i have not seen that on recent models. I still have the complete orig. Colt upper and wondering what to do with it.

continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Bushmaster lower with a pinned Colt block, 5-1/2" barreled Colt 9mm upper. Shown with AAC TiRant suppressor. Initially wanted a flattop upper, but when the Colt upper came available, snatched it up. Am more than happy. Was lucky when pinning the block, to just miss the serial number. (Whew) Took almost 18 months to make it all happen.

Runs like a freight train. Apologize for the crappy cell phone pic.

What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Monopolyman wrote:Here is my Colt 6450 with a 10.5" RRA upper. Took 6 months to get my stamp, now waiting on a form 4. I agree, stock trigger is just right. I put in 7 quarters taped together to dampen the spring noise and protect my bolt stop from breaking. BTW, my 6450 is a 1994 model, right at the beginning of the AWB ( Colt says it was a transition gun) so it does not have the "Law enforcement only" warning. It does, however say, 9mm Nato on the receiver and i have not seen that on recent models. I still have the complete orig. Colt upper and wondering what to do with it.
I manipuated buffers/springs (carbine stuff worked) on mine to make it run right. No "whang", but even if there was, as long as it runs reliably, wouldn't have mattered.

Your 9mm is too much, old school off the scale cool. Forgive me for not asking permission, but I saved that pic for a background. Outstanding.

ETA: OUTSTANDING 1st post.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Flipz wrote:Factory YHM 5.5 inch 9mm SBR with a few extras. This will be its temporary setup for the next 5-6 months until the stamp comes back for my Octane9 HD.
Nice 9mm AR bro. I see you like the YHM QD. The optical looks high for my tastes, but it's your platform and if it works, carry on. Guessing you shoot without a cheek wield?
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

continuity wrote:
Flipz wrote:Factory YHM 5.5 inch 9mm SBR with a few extras. This will be its temporary setup for the next 5-6 months until the stamp comes back for my Octane9 HD.
Nice 9mm AR bro. I see you like the YHM QD. The optical looks high for my tastes, but it's your platform and if it works, carry on. Guessing you shoot without a cheek wield?
Thanks! The cheek weld is actually perfect. The mount is a standard LaRue LT660 lower 1/3 cowitness mount. It looks tall on the gun because the gun is tiny. The YHM Wraith flashider is just what came on the gun. I don't have a YHM suppressor to go with it. I did however build a second upper. It's a 5.5" 3-lug upper with an SWR Octane9 HD.
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

My latest effort in 9mm.

Post by Richard/SIA »

Built this as a shop sample and my own use.
Additional units available from inventory.
Details near the bottom of this page.
http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php?page=ar15

Edit to add this video link, http://youtu.be/Fhr4YJrVlV0
Starts with my AR9-SC in semi and full auto.
Demonstrates the difference in super and subsonic very well.

.45 at the end was shot with a different camera, I will need to repeat the video shoot with a better camera and operator ASAP.

Updating to add a pic from this mornings test fire of my most recent build.
Cheap BSA red dot sight that completely covers the bullseye, gusting wind, sand bag rest at fifty yards.
Better optics would help but I think this is decent.
Five shots, about 1.40" widest spread, two overlapping.
Winchester 147 gr. FMJ.

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Zombie thread back from the dead.

TROS 5 inch 3 lug with a blackout flash suppressor ( and 3 lug Tirant adapter ) Glock mag Spikes lower , LAW folder , 10 OZ KAK buffer wolf extra power. I'd SBR it but its my truck gun and can't have a mag in a rifle in the car in my state so its a pistol.

Runs like a top .

Putting the laughter in manslaughter
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Not a necro thread but a Lazarus thread :lol:

I still enjoyed reading back over the thread though. Going back 9 years, a lot has changed. I laughed at some of the earlier comments. Especially the one where RRA just came out with a 9mm variant LOL

I do like how you've done your gun though. If it had existed back when I had built mine, I would've went that route. But I have no real reason to change over my Colt style to the glock style. Except maybe to use the occasional drum in it.

I do appreciate the glock style though. No mag adapter, slightly smaller weight and profile. More refined and streamlined I suppose.

I would post pictures of mine, but would probably be ridiculed for making it the way that I did. Back in the day when I made mine, there were few options and I made the most of what was available. Including using a freefloated AR15 handguard as the integral suppressor body itself and mounting rails to it so I could add a front sight and a light and grip. :lol: But dang if I didn't have massive internal volume/area to work with. It is by far the most quiet 9mm I have ever heard. LOL Even better than the MP5SD.

I've put a lot of rounds through it. And was testing some 165 gr loads that I made with my youngest son just yesterday actually.
I don't care what your chart says
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive had a few 9mm AR's over the years. Never liked any of them. Colts and RR's and they all had the same problem. They had more recoil than I wanted from a 9mm and they were loud. The ejection port bark was unreasonable and spraying powder and a lot of the times they just wouldnt cycle worth a damn.
Ive got two separate uppers for this one . One is a 3" barrel that shoots 124 grain NATO spec at just under 950 FPS and the other is the 3 lug TROS. The TROS I could put them all through the same hole at 50 feet. The 3" not so much. In any case both are brutally reliable and with the 10 oz buffer and heavy spring are quieter than my P226 and Glock 19 suppressed and again with the stiff spring and weirdly heavy buffer they are very soft shooting..

I tried the gun with one of those double tap pull and release trigger gizmos with a 5.6 Oz RR buffer. Worked fantastic with 147 grain. Ran just like a sub gun with PRVI 124 grain as in just like a sub gun. BBRRRRRRRAAAPPPPP. Kind of embarrassing at the range.

3 inch barrel with 3 lug adapter with a SLR forend. Unfortunately the silencer wouldnt fit under it so it resides on my dedicated .22 LR SBR now.

Putting the laughter in manslaughter