P22 questions

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

eazenutz33 wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:
How old and how many rounds... Sounds like your slide spring is loosing power. Dissemble and give ti a good cleaning.. lube and reassemble.

DO the same for you magazines too. If you have grit in you mags it could prevent the rounds from moving forward as easily? Good PM always can help. it also helps to eliminate where to look.
Not sure how many months.....maybe 7 or so months?

prolly 17-1800 rounds thru it.....fires ALL ammo perfectly except 550 round packs of Remington Golden Poop.

Gun is torn down and recleaned religeously, and is currently....I haven't cleaned the mags in some time. So I'll try that first and see how it does and report back. I have a feeling its the spring since both mags do it and I've only had one of em for maybe 3 months.....gonna have to double or tripple that once my Element comes in tho! haha
pulled mags apart and cleaned them, then lubed them up a lil......made no difference at all. First round when pulling the slide by hand would not feed, 1st and 2nd rounds after that did not feed without a shake of the wrist. Shooting the 2nd round in the chamber allowed the rest to feed perfectly.

Back to spring loosing strength right?
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

Wilder wrote:
Muab wrote:Hmmm.
The short barreled barreled version will give you what you want easily, but the longer barrel is more quiet. and this is the name of the game for me and accuracy is just an added bonus.

Is this really the case? I have both barrel lengths but I've only used my can on the 3.4" barrel.

I've read numerous posts here in the rimfire forum and found almost all of the posts were to the contrary. Most saying that 4.5" is the max. barrel length that will keep standard velocity from going supersonic.

I want to try mine on the 5" barrel. So..what kind of ammo are you using and does your standard velocity ammo stay subsonic?

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Give me the short barrel.. that way you can shoot cheep ammo and it is subsonic.

There was some other "issue" with the longer barrel on the Walther P-22 and I can't remember.

I will post some vel info for you later this week. I have my P-22 and a High standard, and a 1911 conversion, both go super sonic with bulk pack federal.

I need to shoot "target" ammo to get it subsonic.

But I will get my tape measure and chrono out.

I posted some chrono info in the quietest Silencer on a Bolt gun thread. 10/22 and a bolt rifle 16" barrels. The 10/22 is slower as the lost gas from the chamber as the bolt goes back reduces the vel a bunch. If you hold the bolt closed you increase the vel so it may go supersonic and be louder.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Delta3-2
Silent Operator

Post by Delta3-2 »

I have a P22 with less than 10 rounds through it. Fucking front sight fell off as I was strolling with the dog through the woods. In 35 years of firearms ownership and use, I've NEVER had a sight just fall off the weapon. Anyhow....I call Smith & Wesson Customer Service (what a joke BTW)....and they tell me they'll send me a new front sight post. "How soon ?" says I. Answer: "I don't know....the sights are out of stock".

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a P22. Junk. Just like my S&W stock.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Well I don't know what to say to the guys with bad experiences, but I have a p22 with the short barrel, and I have yet to have it jam, or any misfire of any sort. I have close to 3000 rounds through it varying from cb longs, to cci stingers. Everything feeds cept the CB's, but that is to be expected.

Granted I also have a $74 .380 that functions flawlessly without ever cleaning or oiling. I guess I just have good luck on these things
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Delta3-2 wrote:I have a P22 with less than 10 rounds through it. Fucking front sight fell off as I was strolling with the dog through the woods. In 35 years of firearms ownership and use, I've NEVER had a sight just fall off the weapon. Anyhow....I call Smith & Wesson Customer Service (what a joke BTW)....and they tell me they'll send me a new front sight post. "How soon ?" says I. Answer: "I don't know....the sights are out of stock".

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a P22. Junk. Just like my S&W stock.
The front sight is removable. Mine came with different height front sights so you can "sight it in" They pop in and out easily. Once it comes out (if you snag it on your holster as an example) it will not stay in very well... Super glue it.

Look in your box and see if you have a small bag with 2 other front sights, the Key and the plastic assembly "tool".

It is a cheep pistol I agree... it however is the MOST reliable semi auto .22 I own. Especially using a silencer which gunkes up semi autos quickly.

M41 S&W is finicky, and my High Standard will have a FTF every now and again. My TacSol 1911 conversion kit... Don't even get me started on that... My Colt ACE is more reliable and so is my Colt conversion kit, but still the P-22 for me runs like the Energizer Bunny and for a POS, it runs better than any of my expensive "real" guns.

The P-22 is a "toy" but it sure works. I clean mine every 500 rounds. And brush the chamber area after every 200 or so with a tooth brush. I run it fairly dry.

It it had a steel slide, no magazine "safety", and a better sights I would really like it.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!