P22 questions

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Muab
Silent But Deadly

P22 questions

Post by Muab »

Hey guys I want an inexpensive .22 host weapon and a local store has a P22 3.4" for $289 so I am tempted.
First question: with the short barrel is it tricky to mount a can? I presume an adapter will extend it out the front of the slide?

Next question: is there any reason to go with the longer barrel on it or is the 3.4 adequate for all suppressed shooting needs?

Next question: where are spare magazines best obtained for these and at what price?

Last question: is there a .22 pistol host platform that works better, can be suppressed as cheap and easily, and has similar price tag?

Thanks!
---Something witty that makes me sound smart should be inserted here...
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

P22 is pretty cheap, and there are thread adapters available from just about every silencer manufacturer. The P22 barrel is already threaded, it just needs an adapter to go to 1/2x28. I can't say about magazines, but it is not a very accurate gun.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

Hmmm. Accuracy is not a huge deal as long as it will shoot to 2 inches at 10 yards. I can't imagine it is worse than that...

So will the adapter work on the short barrel even though it is recessed into the slide? Is there clearance for it, and will the adapter extend out past the end of the slide for mounting the can?
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Muab wrote:Hmmm. Accuracy is not a huge deal as long as it will shoot to 2 inches at 10 yards. I can't imagine it is worse than that...

So will the adapter work on the short barrel even though it is recessed into the slide? Is there clearance for it, and will the adapter extend out past the end of the slide for mounting the can?
It requires no modifications to the P22.
this is what it looks like when you have the adapter on:
[img]http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/ ... dapter.jpg
[/img]
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

I don't find the p22 to be that inaccurate. I wanted to test it to see if was any less accurate than a service pistol and it wasn't. I was shooting 2-3" groups offhand at 20yds with the short barrel and using Federal bulk pack ammo. I was pleasantly surprised by this after all I've heard about it being inaccurate.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

Living where you are, make sure it's not a california spec P22. They do not have the threaded end like the 49 state models. They are marked with a CA on the slide.
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

Great. I will keep an eye open for that. A handgun has to pretty damned innaccurate before it is much of an issue for me.

With a rifle I want to be able to resolve pretty small targets at 50 yards plus.
With a handgun hitting the x-ring at 10 yards is pretty doable with damned near anything I have shot.

So far, sniffing around the internet I am finding my best price locally (although sales tax is brutal here) at $289 new.
DirTRideR
Silent Operator

Post by DirTRideR »

apochachuva wrote:
Muab wrote:Hmmm. Accuracy is not a huge deal as long as it will shoot to 2 inches at 10 yards. I can't imagine it is worse than that...

It requires no modifications to the P22.
this is what it looks like when you have the adapter on:
Just fixing that for ya!
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

The short barreled barreled version will give you what you want easily, but the longer barrel is more quiet. and this is the name of the game for me and accuracy is just an added bonus.
Alee Hillbilly
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

I love mine.....dont have my element yet, but shoot this gun all the time. Adapter was easy to install and took maybe 2 minutes.

Its plenty accurate for what you need...I was able to shoot a stray dog 3 out of 4 shots from the cab of one of our tractors WHILE he was chasing a calf at about 20-30 feet from the back of the tractor.

I also shoot alot of the Federal Bulk Pack .22 (not the Champion stuff) and I find it to be pretty accurate and reliable.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
schilffarth

Post by schilffarth »

I have had a P22 for about 3 years now and it works very well with my Prodigy. The slide and frame are made out of soft zinc alloy that I can't see lasting 10+ years, but for less than $300 you can always buy another. It also has, what has to be one of the most irritating safety features, a magazine safety. You cannot drop the hammer w/o a magazine in the gun.

A unique advantage to the P22 is the availability of higher capacity followers for the magazines. Mine hold 12 rounds and I believe there is a floor plate mod that can up that to 13. The only other .22 pistol, that I am aware of, that has >10 round capacity is the Ruger Charger.

In short:

Pros:
- Easily threaded barrel (only an adapter needed)
- Cheap
- Light weight
- Nifty factory laser accessory
- After market parts to increase magazine capacity

Cons:
- Soft zinc alloy frame
- Magazine safety
- Less that Mark II/III accuracy
Professor
Elite Member

Post by Professor »

schilffarth wrote:
A unique advantage to the P22 is the availability of higher capacity followers for the magazines. Mine hold 12 rounds and I believe there is a floor plate mod that can up that to 13. The only other .22 pistol, that I am aware of, that has >10 round capacity is the Ruger Charger.
Under the same guidlines you are using for the P22, there are replacement followers for the 226 Sig .22 conversions that will bump the capacity from 10 to 15 rounds.

The 226 conversion is the route I took after considering the P22. However it is a much higher $$ route to take. My conversion kit is setting at TT waiting for it turn to be threaded. Hopefully it will arive about the same time as my stamp for my Spectre.

Nothing wrong with the P22, I put some rounds through one with an OutbackII. I still might buy one in the future.
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

Thanks guys... I have found a standard 3.4 for $299 and a 3.4 with the factory laser for $379

Yeah, cheap is the operative word here. I bought my son a 22/45 and it is pretty nifty, and I have shot the piss out of a lot of MkII's but I don't want to go through all the pain for a host gun.

Cheap and simple is what I need right now.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

:idea: ******************Deleted************** :idea:
Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

CanNotHear wrote:
Muab wrote:Thanks guys... I have found a standard 3.4 for $299 and a 3.4 with the factory laser for $379

Yeah, cheap is the operative word here. I bought my son a 22/45 and it is pretty nifty, and I have shot the piss out of a lot of MkII's but I don't want to go through all the pain for a host gun.

Cheap and simple is what I need right now.
The laser looks cool but is worthless.
What makes it worthless? Is it more worthless than most lasers?
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

I prefer the 3.5 in barrel as it keeps high velocity in the subsonic range.
there is no need to buy the more exspensive subsonic ammo.
I bought my P22 with the 5" barrel but it needs SS ammo so I changed it to a 3.5" and the 5" now sits on a shelf and never gets used.

Here is a pic and some video of the P22 with a can.
viewforum.php?f=73
Last edited by M16MANIAC on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

short barrel is better in that you can shoot bulk ammo and keep it subsonic.

My longer barrels on all my other pistols require "target" ammo or "standard" velocity ammo. = more money.

I find it very accurate for what it is. It also functions 99%of the time. My TacSol 1911 conversion is at 75%. Hi Standard at 80% (tight chamber).

Of all the threaded pistols the P22 is the most reliable. The front sight pops out occasionally. I need to call S&W and have them mail me one.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

JohnInNH wrote:
Of all the threaded pistols the P22 is the most reliable. The front sight pops out occasionally. I need to call S&W and have them mail me one.
My front sight popped out on me when pulling the P22 out of my Fobus holster.....luckily I found it, put a drop of super glue on it and reinstalled it and now its rock solid.

The only thing I DONT like is that once you have the thread adapter installed you can no longer take the slide off to clean the gun without removing it first......I installed mine with removeable locktite, something I hadn't planned on keeping with all of my gun cleaning tools.

I've resorted to pulling the slide up as much as possible and using cleaning clothes and a toothpick to clean it for now. Only have around 1100 rounds thru mine (only had it a month tho), gets more reliable with every mag put thru it.
crotalus01
Silent But Deadly

Post by crotalus01 »

I love mine and it is a great suppressor host. I do have problems with it though - it is a pain in the ass to reassemble, and my takedown pin snapped in half last time I shot it - anyone know how I can get that fixed? (the piece that broke off landed over the firing line at the local range and promptly disappeared into the brass sea so superglue is not an option)

Overall its a fun cheap plinker and pretty damn quiet with my YHM Mite on it.
Remember kids, SALAD is NOT food...salad is what food EATS.
evo45
Elite Member

Post by evo45 »

The P22 isnt the best host but it is the cheapest. I really cant complain on how it has functioned either. It eats everything I feed it and only has problems after the 6 to 700 round mark. IMHO it is a great cheap little host.
evo45
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

Well I got one the other day. I loaded the magazine three times as soon as a I got it home and fired all rounds without a hitch of any kind. Felt pretty good.
Fired Remingon gold bullets, CCI subsonics, and Federal Automatch.
No FTF, FTC, FTE at all. Granted it was 30 rounds...but it was the first 30 rounds without any cleaning or oiling of any kind.

Anyone know the best place to get spare mags? How about a place to get the adapter for a can? How about a place that has both all in one stop?

:)

Thanks for the input, gents.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Muab wrote:Well I got one the other day. I loaded the magazine three times as soon as a I got it home and fired all rounds without a hitch of any kind. Felt pretty good.
Fired Remingon gold bullets, CCI subsonics, and Federal Automatch.
No FTF, FTC, FTE at all. Granted it was 30 rounds...but it was the first 30 rounds without any cleaning or oiling of any kind.

Anyone know the best place to get spare mags? How about a place to get the adapter for a can? How about a place that has both all in one stop?

:)

Thanks for the input, gents.
I bought one spare Walther mag at the gun shop I got my gun from for $32.....haven't seen any cheaper than that yet, though I would be interested if there are some out there!
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

I just got mine back from the SW repair center for the second time,turn around 2 weeks. The slide cracked in half this time. the first time the firing pin broke and shot out the back. Both times no charge for repair. I sent it in with broke slide and bent rear sight, no front site. got it back with all new springs, new slide, new sights. now the kicker. this pistol has now over 200,000 rounds thru it. I posted in the past this is one helluva host and cheap also. Best money I ever spent on a .22
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

poizzin wrote:I just got mine back from the SW repair center for the second time,turn around 2 weeks. The slide cracked in half this time. the first time the firing pin broke and shot out the back. Both times no charge for repair. I sent it in with broke slide and bent rear sight, no front site. got it back with all new springs, new slide, new sights. now the kicker. this pistol has now over 200,000 rounds thru it. I posted in the past this is one helluva host and cheap also. Best money I ever spent on a .22
Holy crap! 200K?! Wow man. No kidding. That is pretty impressive.

Well, I just need to get a thread adapter and a couple of spare mags and we are all golden.

Also, where does one get the replacement followers to increase capacity?
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

Muab,

Try here for all your P22 needs, including the laser and extended magazine followers:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/walther-p22- ... 3242bd3052
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!