colt\ walther ar15 in 22 lr

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silenceisgolden
Silent But Deadly

colt\ walther ar15 in 22 lr

Post by silenceisgolden »

just got some in and they are nice. they seem better quality than the GSG, have a threaded barrel ( dont know what thread yet ) and have a robust mag on par with BD. Of course this means nothing until I go and shoot one
live free or die.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

We need pictures for proof that you have them :wink:
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Is the lower a standard AR lower?
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

lower is not standard ar.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Lower is NOT standard AR config, but it seems to be pretty good quality.

Here is my mini-reivew....

Spent about 45 minutes with these new Colt Umarex rifles this afternoon. Specifically the M4 and M4 with rails versions.

First let me preface my thoughts with a few facts:

1. I own a Colt M4 myself. Sure, civilian version, but I know what the 5.56 Colt M4 looks like, how it operates, and the quality of the work.

2. I own a GSG5 PK which fires 22lr. Love it, you won't hear me bash the GSG5. The Colt Umarex isn't a replacement of it, nor will I directly compare them. They are different. I like both.

Ok, now that I have some "street cred" with regard to M4 and 22lr fun rifles......here it comes.

OK, so here is my assessment in bullet point format:
This thing feels and looks (perhaps to the untrained eye) like its M4 counterpart. At the shop we had a Colt M4, a bushmaster, and several other quality AR15 rifles. This thing is ON PAR with that kind of quality. This Colt Umarex ain't your kid brother's plastic airsoft gun.

We could not take this bad-boy appart. How in the world do you take it down? The thing is so snug we couldn't get the pin out. As we stood there puzzled..... I recognized that I had to leave to go see a client...... so I couldn't hang out.... we all agreed that the fit was a testament to the quality of the weapon. The chamber, lower, and upper are so snug.

Below is the tripple rail M4.
This comes with three covers for the rail that were easily removed. Rails are standard picatinny rails. No surprise there. The area is ALUMINUM and is indistinguishable in quality from my Surefire quad rail sysem. Good job on the rails. Everything is solid here and seems built to last.

The center section bolt area has a few things to note.
The bolt area seems well made. The charging handle is specific to this weapon system. Your standard AR15 charghing handles will not work with this weapon. Also, the charging handle has a very short draw, so that is also not like your standard AR15. Lets face it, 22lr is not as long as .223 or 5.56.

Flip side with "fake" bolt release

The bolt release isn't functional that I could tell. The bolt works like the GSG5 in that when you have an enpty mag it will lock open. Without an empty mag there isn't a way to lock the bolt open. Of course if you put in an empty mag... the bolt will stay open and continue to stay open when you remove the mag.

This center seciton of the rifle it was easy to note that you cannot use standard AR15 pistol grips. The configuration of the nut and a pin are different.

The fire selector is as it appears, two settings as you would expect.....safe... and opposite 180º is fire.... so that is a little different than your standard M4.

The internals of the bolt and trigger are clearly very different from an M4/M16/AR15.

Front grip area is standard M4 configuration so anything you buy for standard AR15 would seem to fit.

The folding stock area has standard threading so put on a Magpul or whatever kind of stock you want if you don't like a standard M4 folding stock.

Important point
The barrel is a shroud configuration. The chamber and 22lr barrel sits inside a shroud that makes it "look" like a standard M4 barrel.. I heard somewhere that someone is looking to have a threaded adapter so you can have standard threads on the end, but I can't point you somewhere for that after-maret part just yet. I sure want to have standard threadings so I can use my suppressor.

Important point #2
OK, so the magazine DOES look goofy. I will give you that. It is actually pretty much idential in "look" to your standard 40 round mag in 5.56... excpet that this 22lr mag gives you 30 rounds. There is a 10 round mag you can get. The standard CMMG and other 22lr mags do NOT work in this weapon. We discussed this for a bit as a "strategy" for Colt Umarex to have their own mags. We agreed that we thought eventually you will see "standard looking" mags with a capacity of approx 22 rounds. AT this point "normal looking" magazines do not exist for this weapon.

Important point #3
I have NOT purchased one yet. The prices at this shop were $585 for the M4 and $625 for the tripple rail. Two years ago I might have said that "was a bit expensive" but two things now tell me otherwise:
1. This ain't your daddy's pro-gun president and speaker Pelosi
2. This thing is of the Colt quality I have come to expect
-----
Ick
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Thanks for the info. I went to the local shop today to spend some range time and saw one of these on the wall. I thought it was a regular M4gery with a 40-rounder, but the fellas at the shop quickly showed me it was anything but. Basically, the thing looked, felt, and handled just like a regular AR, 'cept I can afford to shoot it. Fit and finish were excellent. It's only Colt's license, it's made by Walther in Germany so no worries there.

When I saw that the flash hider unscrewed (with the supplied tool) to reveal threads, I made my first impulse firearms purchase ever. Unfortunately, the threads aren't 1/2x28 - maybe even 1/4x28? Something weird, and I'll be all over the adaptor once somebody makes it.

Put about 200 rounds of cheap Federal Wal-Mart through it with a couple misfires and FTEs. In fairness, it's crap ammo and it wasn't until I got home and read the manual that I saw that you can regulate the bolt speed with an allen screw - I imagine slowing it down for this particular type of ammo would let the ejecting brass escape in time. I did get through a few 30-round mags without any failures - fun stuff. Shoots great.

One nice faux-NFA mall-ninja fantasy is that the barrel apparently starts 1.5" sooner than on a standard AR, thus producing the look of a 14.5" AR. That one will be a big hit among Retail Law Enforcement nationwide.

Any more news on the adaptor? This thing is begging for a Spectre...
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Cat,

Thanks for the comments man. I thought for a moment I was crazy.
-----
Ick
clydearmory
Silent Operator

Post by clydearmory »

A Walther P22 adapter will fit on the threads and allow use of a 1/2 x 28 can. Doesn't look real pretty, but it works.
Clyde Armory
4800 Atlanta Highway
Bogart, GA 30605
(706) 549-1842 Phone
(706) 549-3232 Fax
WoofersInc
Silent Operator

Post by WoofersInc »

I have put a couple of mags through mine suppressed using Remington subsonics. So far I have had zero malfunctions. Like stated above I am using a P22 thread adapter which does work. One other thing that s nice on this rifle is that the bolt speed can be adjusted for various velocity ammo. When I first shot it suppressed it seemed loud. It turned out to be excessive action noise. I slowed the bolt down some and the noise has decreased. They are going to sell a ton of these rifles.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I purchased one. Haven't fired it yet. Like it even more now that I have one. Bought the tripple rail.
-----
Ick
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

The muzzle thread is M8 x .75
http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php? ... cal-rifles

Someone said it is made by Walther in Germany, but it has Hartford Conn. stamped on the receiver. Colt is an American company, and should have known better.

Excellent review. Well written.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Ron of Va wrote:The muzzle thread is M8 x .75
http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php? ... cal-rifles

Someone said it is made by Walther in Germany, but it has Hartford Conn. stamped on the receiver. Colt is an American company, and should have known better.

Excellent review. Well written.
100% made in germany by carl walther colt info is there for the "realism" effect. its cleary marked on other side of gun madeby carl walther for colt mfg.
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Update - this thing really works!

Post by theTastyCat »

So because I've been able to find several 500-round boxes of the cheap Federal at Wal-Mart, I tried to tune the gun to it. I used a punch and hammer to remove the pivot pin and used an allen key to turn the bolt speed adjustment screw one turn to the right just to experiment. After cleaning it for the first time (and I was surprised that it was relatively clean after shooting as much .22 as I did), I put it back together and ran a 30-round mag through with zero malfunctions. What a joy for this gun to run 100% - it's just too much freaking fun. The magazine is ridiculously easy and fast to load; I got my girlfriend a 50-round mag for her 10/22 and I want to take my own life by the time I finish loading it, but this mag is so easy it's stupid. I just mounted a cheapo red dot on it, and I'll need a riser of some kind, but this thing is going to the range on Sunday and will see some serious plinking.

Way to go Walther. Funny, on the outside of the box it proudly proclaims "QUALITY MAKES IT A COLT" - I suppose that's better PR than "BEING MANUFACTURED UNDER LICENSE MAKES IT A COLT". Also, it boasts of "full metal construction" - oh well. I suppose this is a good "entry" gun for the airsoft/mall ninja crowd, so whatever.

For those of you that I've heard whining that it's a flimsy piece of crap, you're mistaken. This feels just like my Rock Rivers, DPMS, Sabres, and M&Ps. Perhaps lighter in weight, but not noticeably. Great, fun gun. Hope you all enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Update - this thing really works!

Post by ick »

theTastyCat wrote:Also, it boasts of "full metal construction" - oh well. I suppose this is a good "entry" gun for the airsoft/mall ninja crowd, so whatever.
There are some AR15 style rifles that are coming out in the market that are NOT full metal construction. I think that is why it says that.
-----
Ick
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Good point - hadn't thought of that. Regardless, "full metal construction" is a catch-phrase proven to produce squeals of delight from airsofters everywhere.
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

Got to feel 2 of them today, one base and one railed version. Still not a fan but that is just me. I cant really say why, just didnt feel right.

One thing I did notice though was that you have to rotate the safety 180* from safe to fire. The fire marked position is where Auto/Burst would be on a M16.
MAHONEYBRADY

Post by MAHONEYBRADY »

clydearmory wrote:A Walther P22 adapter will fit on the threads and allow use of a 1/2 x 28 can. Doesn't look real pretty, but it works.
Good to know.... who cares about pretty. :D
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Gemtech has thread converters that end in ½-28 for $45. I think you have to call to order as they are not on the website yet.

They don't have the skinny "neck" like a 10/22 has
-----
Ick
MAHONEYBRADY

Post by MAHONEYBRADY »

Picking up my Element suppressor hopefully this weekend....just gotta find time to drive up and get it..... after a 5 1/2 month wait for the paper work. Want to purchase a Colt-Umarex to play with..right now I just have a Wather P22 to put it on.
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

I pick my "Colt" up tomorrow, I was planning on buying a nice Anschutz 54, but I ended up with the Colt. I don't really know how, but it was so cool I had to have it. Hope I like it.
HotRod9mm
Senior Silent Operator

Post by HotRod9mm »

Just got back from a little test firing. So far mine shoots rather well.

8)
Firearms kill people??? Then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!

Rimfire Parts
http://www.DIProductsInc.com
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

HotRod9mm wrote:Just got back from a little test firing. So far mine shoots rather well.

8)
5 shot groups at 25 yrds dont show much, try 10 shot 50 yard groups.