Colt 6920 - 50,000 Rounds Later

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

clydearmory
Silent Operator

Colt 6920 - 50,000 Rounds Later

Post by clydearmory »

I thought some of you guys may find this interesting. Sorry for the picture quality, pictures aren't really my thing.

We recently received some well-used Colt 6920s from a training facility that provides high intensity training to law enforcement professionals. These weapons have over 50,000 documented rounds through them. Only a few minor parts and springs have been replaced, and all of the major components are Colt OEM. I haven't had a chance to take one shooting yet, but the instructors from the training facility tell me they still shoot excellent groups. For picture purposes, I tried to pick the worst looking one, but they all looked pretty rough.

-Cade
Clyde Armory
4800 Atlanta Highway
Bogart, GA 30605
(706) 549-1842 Phone
(706) 549-3232 Fax
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

How much? :)
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

For 50k rounds by a lot of different people, I would say they have held up pretty good
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Just to provide another data point to balance this out a little, I carry a bolt lug from a M4 (RO977, I believe) in the pocket of my cammies that failed at just under 7600 rounds while we were on test.

Doing operational test on weapons has absolutely killed my confidence in almost all firearms to go boom when I need them most. :?
technique408

Post by technique408 »

Thats awesome! Thanks for the pics. Still looks pretty good to me.
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

$799
Last edited by cwilliams on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

What no egged trigger group holes :shock: they must have been using the KNS anti rotation pins :roll:

how many mall ninjas have them and will never ever go through that many rounds in their life time :?:

If you guys want your bolts to last longer, check the back edge of the lugs every cleaning. If you notice that a burr has been raised, take a fine file and take the burr off (just the burr). This will help the bolts last longer and keep the gun running smoother.

After about 90K+ though my Stoner there was a pronounced burr on the bolt lugs which I did the above and it is still firing away w/o issue.

I would like to know what the bores look like on the barrels, 70K+ made the Stoner a smooth bore.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
clydearmory
Silent Operator

Post by clydearmory »

Mongo wrote:I would like to know what the bores look like on the barrels, 70K+ made the Stoner a smooth bore.
The bores still look pretty good. As I said earlier, I don't take good photos, but I'll see what I can do.
Clyde Armory
4800 Atlanta Highway
Bogart, GA 30605
(706) 549-1842 Phone
(706) 549-3232 Fax
clydearmory
Silent Operator

Post by clydearmory »

Here are a few shots of the bore I was able to get.

-Cade
Clyde Armory
4800 Atlanta Highway
Bogart, GA 30605
(706) 549-1842 Phone
(706) 549-3232 Fax
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Ok, now that I'm not on computers bought with your taxpayer dollars I can see the photobucket pics.

Now way, not a chance, absolutely impossible that those bolts have that many rounds on them. Those lugs are impeccable.

I have seen a lot of Colt bolts with a lot less rounds, and they look far more beat up than that.

Further, last info I have is that colt does not hammer forge their barrels. Button and cut rifling (not sure which colt does) leaves imperfections in the bore. those imperfections are covered up by chrome, but leave small air pockets which heat and cool (expand and contract) every time a round is fired. This causes the chrome to flake off. Their barrels are ~supposed~ to last 10k rounds, but SOF has found they need replacement around 6k. There is absolutely no way that a chrome lined barrel that is not hammer forged has lasted 50k rounds. Don't even get me going about the flame-cutting that happens to the gas ports...

This is beyond absurd. 50k rounds through a 5.56 barrel. Seriously? 5.56 is about 62,000 psi and it has a hard copper jacket. A 24,000 psi 22lr barrel would shoot out at 50k rounds - soft lead, hard steel is like soft water and hard rock. Endstate: grand canyon.

Drink the cool-aid if you want, but this is not even close to reality.

OP, this isn't a personal attack. Perhaps you were given bad info?
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

First let me say that I'm glad to see Clyde Armory posting here. They are on the very top of my list of dealers to deal with, especially on Colts and doubly on NFA items.

I concur that 50k on a single bolt or barrel seems unlikely, and I'd like to hear more about whatever documentation or maintenance schedules/records were kept on these.

I'd still take a 50k Colt over a NIB Oly all day every day, and I'd pay extra for it if it came from Clyde.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

any chance the barrels are HF? the upper does have a "D" marking?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Mongo wrote:What no egged trigger group holes :shock: they must have been using the KNS anti rotation pins :roll:
I'm sure in those 50,000 rounds they fired one suppressed 9mm shot. Oh no wait, they didn't. Wot wah.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

smcharchan wrote:Now way, not a chance, absolutely impossible that those bolts have that many rounds on them. Those lugs are impeccable.
Maybe they used surefire's special steel.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

stevejobs wrote:
smcharchan wrote:Now way, not a chance, absolutely impossible that those bolts have that many rounds on them. Those lugs are impeccable.
Maybe they used surefire's special steel.
+1

50K thorugh it and it looks that good? Maybe Rob_S is on to something......I said maybe!

:)
NFAtalk.org
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:Maybe Rob_S is on to something......I said maybe!
I just had to quote this before you sober up this morning and delete it. :lol:
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

rob_s wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:Maybe Rob_S is on to something......I said maybe!
I just had to quote this before you sober up this morning and delete it. :lol:
Gooodwon!
EvilKev
Silent But Deadly

Post by EvilKev »

Speaking of Clyde Armory... has anyone seen the 7/8 scale copy of Cook and Brother Armory Andrew Clyde is currently building?
This will be the new home of Clyde Armory and I believe it will open this December. Check it out when you can.

Back on topic... I have handled several of these pre-owned 6920s and they do look very good.
$100.00 discount off Rogue stocks now at M14HDW.US
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

smcharchan wrote:Just to provide another data point to balance this out a little, I carry a bolt lug from a M4 (RO977, I believe) in the pocket of my cammies that failed at just under 7600 rounds while we were on test.
That is nearly exactly the expected life. M4 bolts should be replaced every 5000 rounds.
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

Maybe they meant 50K through the group of rifles?

I also do not believe that the rifle in the pics has anywhere near that many rounds through it.

Hey thats not really a bad thing!
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
EvilKev
Silent But Deadly

Post by EvilKev »

rsilvers wrote:M4 bolts should be replaced every 5000 rounds.
I was not aware of this - thank you.
$100.00 discount off Rogue stocks now at M14HDW.US
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The KAC E3 bolt was designed to address the weaknesses in the original bolt design. It may be a 25,000 or more round part. If only it was on all rifles.
clydearmory
Silent Operator

Post by clydearmory »

I got a little more information on these today and hope to get some more soon. I was a little skeptical myself, but we are working on getting the documentation on these rifles.

First off, I messed up yesterday. I said that no major parts had been replaced, but a few have. During the 5 years that these ten rifles were in use, 2 bolt carrier groups and 2 barrels were replaced. I happened to grab one of the rifles with a newer BCG for pictures.

According to the facility that bought them, they put, give or take, 1K through each rifle each month. They were cleaned after every range session. This makes me a little less skeptical, because that averages about a magazine a day per rifle.

Hopefully, we can obtain the documentation sometime early next week and I'll try to get it posted.

ETA: We just got off the phone with the training facility owner, and they are going to send us documentation by serial number.
Clyde Armory
4800 Atlanta Highway
Bogart, GA 30605
(706) 549-1842 Phone
(706) 549-3232 Fax
dieselten
Silent But Deadly

Post by dieselten »

If possible, please post pics of one of the bolt carrier groups that has fired 50,000 rounds.

Thanks
technique408

Post by technique408 »

Been checking in frequently....REALLY wanna see those maintenance reports!