Recommended after market trigger.

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mac man
Elite Member

Recommended after market trigger.

Post by mac man »

I Am looking for a new trigger.Not sure what the difference is between single stage and two stage triggers.I would like something lighter in pull(maybe adjustable) that has a shorter travel and more crisp than the factory trigger.What are your recommendations?
Thanks for your help!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Single stage breaks immediately. No real amount of take up, just a break.
Two stage has a light take up then a hard break.

A single stage usually has a longer reset than a two stage (talking AR15's here)

A stock GI trigger is a single stage with a rather long reset. Typically a single stage "feels" heavier than a two stage.

a 4.5lbs break single stage is all at once.
a 4.5lbs break two stage, will be something like 3lbs on the "first" stage and 1.5 lbs on the second. So "total" is 4.5, but most of the weight up front is taken up in prepping the trigger to fire with a very light break point.

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive, easy to care for 2 stage trigger, the Rock River Arms 2 stage match trigger is great. Even better if you buy the White Oak Arms tuned version.
If you are looking for a good, inexpensive single stage, I'd go with a Bill Springfield tuned GI trigger.

There are many other options. For any of these, the best IMHO is Geissele. They have everything from two stage non-adjustable to adjustable match/target triggers. Jard is another good option as well.

There are also a bunch of drop in, self contained options from Timmney and Chip McCormick.

I currently run a RRA 2 stage in my DCM 20" AR, a GI single stage in my 9mm AR and just replaced a Chip McC with a Geissele SSA two stage.

Of all of these, the Chip was the lightest, but I didn't get a good feeling having it in my home defense rifle, so I replaced it with the geissele, which is perfect for that rifle.
My DCM competition service rifle must have a 4.5lbs or greater pull and the Rock River 2 stage works great for that.
My 9mm is just a range toy, and the 6lbs pull GI is fine, though I will replace it with a Bill Springfield as soon as they are in stock.

I like the two stage triggers because you can always pull past the two stages to fire, just like a single stage and if you are wanting a more precise shot, you can prep the trigger before the break to set up the shot. The shorter reset also helps in follow up shots.

My recommendation would be to decide what you want to spend. If it is $100-200, get the 2 stage RRA or tuned RRA, LMT, etc.
for >$200 get the geissele if you can wait
for >$200 and you don't want to wait, look at the drop in options or the jard. I'm not a big fan of adjustable triggers for "Battle" rifles, but for range and target rifles they are great, so pick which one suites your needs.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I went with a 2lb Jard single stage in mine, It's well worth the money. To top it off, it's fully adjustable, not that it matters to me, but my smith said it was a nice feature to have.

viewtopic.php?t=38843

3lbs seems to be the lbs of choice.........
NFAtalk.org
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

Very informative!Thanks for the help guys,I have somethings to think about.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Giselle. The End All Be All.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Wilson Combat is making AR triggers now as well. I have no experience with them, but I would never expect Wilson to make something that sucked.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

+1 on the Rock River Arms 2 stage match trigger. Easy to install and affordable. Best thing to start with for improving a factory AR.
technique408

Post by technique408 »

kalikraven wrote:Giselle. The End All Be All.
Yup...

Giselle SSA combat....

The thing with the RRA triggers is that they are a crapshoot. Most reports, mine included...are of failure. The 2 stage is quick to become a single stage.
I have owned 3 so far and 2 of the 3 were complete garbage.

It helps to know Mac Man, what your rifles purpose is when asking for help selecting triggers.

For a work gun or SHTF business type gun....IMO Giselle SSA or keep your stock trigger.

Bench gun, any 2 stage will do and probly help you improve your groups.

PS..rumor has it, WOA doesn't actually "fix" RRA triggers.....they just rub them on their sweaty balls and magically, your trigger is as good as new! :lol:
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

3# timney drop in trigger in my 24" AR's lower......that lower is often swapped onto my 16" upper just finger that trigger til I can mount my scope (damned UPS has my mount!)

I like it alot....single stage, clean and crisp, light pull...kinda pricey at $190 tho!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Capital Ordnance
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Capital Ordnance »

In my "Combat - IPSC" rifles Sr-15s I use a Knights factory 2 stage and in the SPR a Timney 3# trigger single stage. In my 11'5" Bushmaster/Stag Arms SBR I use a Rock River 2 stage.
All a great triggers. It would depend on how the rifle or carbine is used?
Shorty, safety concerns, SPB accuracy, combat type gun for training, 2 stage and good release...etc.
"Those who start by burning books'
Will end by burning men."
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

chrismartin wrote:If you are looking for a good, inexpensive single stage, I'd go with a Bill Springfield tuned GI trigger.
COMPLETELY AGREE. I sent my stock DPMS trigger off to Bill Springfield over at http://www.triggerwork.net/ and I had it back in less than a week for like $35. A smooth sweet crisp 3lb single stage. I love it and for the money, I doubt it gets much better.
Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

FWIW, my Bill Springfield trigger started doubling after only a couple hundred rounds. I took it out of my gun. I have heard that if I call him he can tell me how to "fix it", but I'm not interested in tinkering with it.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET