Exp. needed !

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dfire
Silent But Deadly

Exp. needed !

Post by dfire »

I have a Tikka T3 Tactical with a 22" barrel that is a 1 in 11 twist. What is the lightest bullet weight you would run with that twist ? Heaviest ? Best avarage ?
Don't look at me with that tone of voice !
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

TAP 110 grain ? Too light and fast ?
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

I'm assuming it's a .308?
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

Oh yeah......guess that would help. Yes, .308. Sorry.
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

I have the same gun. Did you have yours cut down? Mine is 24" and I thought they only made 20 and 24 inch models. I've been messing around with quickload and some other things trying to come up with an answer for the same question. I'll post back here when/if I come up with anything.
Timberwolf
Silent Operator

Re: Exp. needed !

Post by Timberwolf »

dfire wrote:I have a Tikka T3 Tactical with a 22" barrel that is a 1 in 11 twist. What is the lightest bullet weight you would run with that twist ? Heaviest ? Best avarage ?
You will be GTG with the 175/178's and MAYBE with the 190's.

There's only one way to find out about the 190's and that to shoot them.
Certified Glock,Sig,S&W,Remington Armourer.

Nice try = You suck spelled different.

Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

Man, I am off my rocker. I need to stop doing quick posts and slow down and think about my post. I have a Tikka T3 tactical .308 with a 20" barrel that is 1 in 11 twist. Im thinking 168gr will be the best for the twist but I was wondering if the Hornady TAP 110gr would be to lite and fast to stabilize with the twist.
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

silentobsession wrote:I have the same gun. Did you have yours cut down? Mine is 24" and I thought they only made 20 and 24 inch models. I've been messing around with quickload and some other things trying to come up with an answer for the same question. I'll post back here when/if I come up with anything.
Thanks ! I will do the same. I have been hearing the Federal Gold Match and Winchester Silver tip are doing good for factory loads.
switch

Post by switch »

Not sure about the lightest load question you first posed, but I can speak to the latter with GMM. The lightest factory load I've tried was a 145gr Prvi, and it did not fair well at all.

I have the T3 Tactical in .308, with the 24" barrel. The only performance affecting addition I have is a Roedale Precison break. I almost always shoot from a bipod.

With Federal GMM 168gr I consistently shoot 1/4" c2c at 100 yards. I'm currently working up my own load for a cheaper in the long run (who am I really kidding though?) alternative. Perhaps I can squeeze a higher # of shots into the 1/4" (as opposed to just 3-4) as well. I've kept 10 shot runs under an 1" though. Ammo2go recently had it at under $20 a box. I'm currently working FGMM brass, 210M primer, 41.5 Varget, and 175 SMKs. Not exactly apples to apples, but a place to start. I haven't done any reloading in about 15 years, and even then it was mostly watching my dad do it :D

Federal Power-Shok works well for the money (always well under an 1"), and the biggest shocker for me has been this Winchester FMJ stuff:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=725859

My zero was completely off, but the stuff was holding 3/4". Pretty crazy for the money. I haven't had any luck with Federal Fusion, Remington UMC, any kind of Wolf or Prvi.

A friend of mine with the same rifle has had good results with Hornady TAP and Black Hills, but for the money in that range, I'd just stick with the GMM, when you can find it on sale.

I'm currently waiting for my Manners MCS-T4 stock to be completed...very excited about that!
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

For lightest:
Speer 100gr SPRN (but exposed lead tip so for lower speed plinking)

Hornady 100gr SPRN (but also exposed lead tip so for lower speed plinking)

Lapua 100gr HPFB - these are fully jacketed so they could be shot at high speeds.

It seems to me that someone makes an 85gr bullet, but I haven't been able to find it.

For practicality, you'll love 168gr, 165gr, and 155gr bullets.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

Thanks for the info! I have been holding 1/4" groups with the 168gr federal gold match at 100 yds. I will be trying 300 this week. I will keep you up dated.