first 22 for my daughter

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

stenmkii
Silent Operator

first 22 for my daughter

Post by stenmkii »

looking for the best 22lr rifle to teach my 5 year old girl how to shoot.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

That depends on a lot of things, maturity level being key. But if she's ready I like the Savage Cub T (they make them in pink laminate wood stocks even), Savage MK I Youths, or get a 10/22 youth model. I like teaching on bolt-actions for building good safety habits and fundamentals, but the 10/22 is a wonderful platform because of the aftermarket options. The 10/22 can literally grow with you (change the stock, barrel, sights, upgrade to threaded barrel and can, anything).
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Don't overlook the CZ Scout. It might be a little big for her right now but it comes with a single shot tray (but also uses CZ magazines), super accurate and lot's of grown men love'em so she'll never outgrow it. My boy is eight and it's what I want to get him.

Good luck!
Paul
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
BEASLEY7

Post by BEASLEY7 »

I went with the Henry Mini-Bolt for each of my sons. It shoots accurately and his Fire-Sights factory installed. Price was under $200. I expect to send the younger ones gun to ADCO soon for the threading so his rifle can be like his big brothers. One day they'll each have a threaded CZ like dads but the CZs stock was a little to big for my boys at 5 YOA.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

What am I thinking? I picked up a used Savage for my daughter. She was 10 at the time and it's certainly too big for a 5 year old as configured but it was so cheap, that I wouldn't have hesitated to shorten the LOP if needed.

Paint scheme is "Urban Mall-o-flage". It's one of a kind and she loves it. She loves to shoot and making the rifle "her" rifle by customizing has made a huge impact, much bigger than I thought. Having a "pretty" rifle seems to count. So if this appeals to your little girl, then by all means do it.

Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Nice starter-stick, libertyman777! Better to have mall-o-flage than be a mall-ninja. Always happy to see proper eye and ear protection on new shooters, too, well done.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Thanks. I feel the same way. She's a natural. Totally relaxed, shoots with both eyes open. eyesight like a hawk. She can hit a shotgun hull at 100 yards.
stenmkii
Silent Operator

Post by stenmkii »

thanks guys