Fun gun to 800yds

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

Fun gun to 800yds

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

If you were going to build a Remington action rifle to shoot to 800max what whould it be(caliber),what parts would you assemble and why?????
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

Fun gun

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Mr. rsilvers do you have an opinion????? Does anyone have an opinion??? Thanks for any input.........
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

I recently put together a .223/ Savage action/ McGowan Barrel/ McRee stock and I'm well on my way with another in .260 w/ Brux barrel.

If I was only gonna have one precision bolt-action (for competition and plinking) I'd go with .260
mikes2103
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mikes2103 »

if youre starting from scratch, its close to the same price to start with a nice custom action, after buying the donor gun for roughly 500 and truing for roughly 250 youre at the cost of a stiller, and knocking on the door of the round surgeons. caliber id go with 308 or 260 260 will buck the wind better. and as for stocks- go shoot some and see what you like better- most either really like the aics or the mcmillan, but mcree makes a nice chassis that folds just like the aics 2.0 but costs alot less.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

Is there a reason you need to go with only Remington for a build? I ask because a Savage/Stevens is far cheaper and just as effective. If you only intend to go to 800, why spend all the money on a build? Get a 700P or PSS, Sendero, Varmint, or, my favorite, a 40X, in any caliber over .22" (not that you can't shoot a .223 to that distance), bed it and put some decent base and rings on it with a reasonable scope, and have at it. I highly recommend checking out http://www.longrangehunting.com/ If you only have one rifle for shooting to that range, you might as well make it a tried and true .308; not as sexy to talk about as .260 and many of the others, but ammo is cheaper and more available to get started with building your long-distance skills. There is also a seemingly endless supply of data on the .308. This is not to take away from the .260 or any other caliber, but if you are only going to have one rifle for shooting to that distance, why limit yourself to a cartridge that is harder to come by and more costly?
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

shooting 800

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Well, I have a 300 WM Savage that is quite capable of this range but it is a little costly and kinda severe on the ol' shoulder. Lol. I said Remington because of the endless parts available for it from so many manufacturers. I also have a RRA AR15 but I would like a bolt gun with its accuracy and shootability. So basically I am wanting a easy on the shoulder, cheap to shoot rifle that could shoot a squirrel in the eye at 800yds between blinks. Not that I could do it but at least it would be capable. Thanks
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

Sounds like you need another Savage; change out barrels at home for whatever caliber you want within the limits of your bolt-face. The .260 will have less recoil and be flatter shooting than the .308, but there are far fewer factory options in precision .260 ammunition available. There are a lot of options available for the Remington, but there are a lot more you can do yourself with the Savage. Check out http://www.savageshooters.com/SavageForum/ and http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ for the seemingly limitless options of what you can do with the Savage/Stevens actions. If you really want to drop more money, buy a Savage Target Action to start with.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

If you like to tinker, the Savage is awesome. Truly a gun for the home smith. If money is no option, go with the 700 platform. Just my 2 cents.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

fun gun

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Savage......tinker...........elaborate please. I also thought of buying a "lost interest" or "going another route
" toy that someone has for sale. How would a Rem 223 bolt do out to 6 or 800??????thanks
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

Barrels, bolt handles, and such are easily changed on a Savage bolt action with a few basic tools.

The .223 is used in competition at long range, but it requires a much better judge of wind than me.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Shooting A 223 Rifle To A Mile Accurately

Post by USMC0351 »

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Like Solothurn says, Savages are built for easy home-smithing. Remington bolt-handles are soldered on, Savage bolt handles can be removed and/or replaced simply by disassembling the bolt (all the tools you'll need are at your local hardware store). Remingtons require a professional gunsmith to rebarrel. Savage barrels are mounted with a barrel nut that can be removed. The barrel screws into the receiver so you can adjust the headspacing yourself and then tighten down the barrel nut to lock it down. This also means you can swap calibers at will without scrapping the 'old' barrel. While you're there, you can add a beefier recoil lug if you want.

Modern Savages come with Accu-triggers, which I've come to love. They can be tuned simply and give a very light, crisp, yet safe break. The stock trigger on my Remington breaks clean, but is much heavier, and all this after professional tuning. You can, of course, purchase aftermarket triggers for Savages too and they drop right in.

The weak point of savages used to be options for stocks and mounts, this is no longer true. I'm cheap, so I got a Bell & Carlson stock that looks a lot like my HS Precision on my Remy and I'll be damned if it isn't comfortable and solid. Bedding it with Devcon Plasti-steel was pretty easy and a rewarding experience. I have an older model so it uses a blind magazine, but modern Savages often come with detachable magazines. There are aftermarket kits to upgrade magazine capacity that are much cheaper than the same idea for Remingtons.

If you want to go full-blown mall-ninja Savage is putting out LE models with crazy stocks covered in rails, though I do like the magazines on these.

In short, you can start with something simple and cheap (like I did) and customize it all yourself, go for a middle ground (the accu-stocks look promising), or all-out mall-ninja and anything in between.

I own both a Savage 10FP and a Rem 700 PSS, and both are great rifles. This almost sounds like an ad. for Savages, but my point was just that I've had lots of good times with my Savage, and not all of it has been on the range. This is due to how home-smith friendly they make the rifle. It's been very satisfying building it up. There are a couple of really good sites/stores to look at for parts etc. on savages, but the only two I can remember at the moment are Stockade Gun Stocks and Sharpshooter Supply.

Savage up front, Remington in back:
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Semper Fi USMC0351! Good article. Makes me think that guy could hit a marble at 200yds with a Red Ryder. Lol. Pretty cool shooting though. I have a Savage 110 300 WM. What would have to be done to change that rifle to a smaller,less expensive to shoot, caliber? Or would it be a better plan to pick up a different rifle to play with? Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming......
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

fun gun

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Thanks for the info Selectedmarksman. I didn't know that there was an abundance of aftermarket parts for the Savage available. The truth is, my whole family is full of jar heads (and Damn proud of it) that always preached the Rem 700. Several of which used the 700 in Vietnam and other conflicts. I really want to get into gunsmithing as I have some background as a machinist and not to mention being a perfectionist when it comes to my loves. Thanks to the Silencer Talk site for allowing us to discuss the things we love because I have learned more from here in a few months than I ever did by asking family,friends and gun shops my whole life. Are there any particular books that I should pick up concerning the Savage/Stevens base rifle and/or homesmithing? Also I will eventually build from scratch, a 50BMG rifle at a friends machine shop and I will need to know and understand chamber size,shape and headspacing before I begin. I was thinking of building it to resemble the Rem MSR type or on a monolithic chassis design. Again thanks to all responses and ideas. Silencer Talk Fan For Life!!!!!!!!
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

If you reload I'd go for 260 Rem or 6.5 creedmoor for the flatter trajectory.

If you don't reload I'd go .308 for the ammo availability and cost.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

I don't know of any Savage-specific gunsmithing books. Most of my questions were answered by searching the Savage forum.

Your 300 can be converted to most calibers but you may want a short-action for some applications.
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

fun gun to 800yds

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

Does Savage do custom rifling? I can only find their .223 with 1/9 and I would like to get it in 1/7 rifling to shoot 75gr AMAX to 90gr. Who makes the best barrel??????????? Thanks
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Just another vote for Savage here.
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

fun gun

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

I found a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .223 today. It is a heavy 20" barrel with a detachable mag but I am thinking they want a little much. 585.00 plus tax. Its a nice rifle that has only had 20 rounds thru it and has Leupold 1" rings but I'm thinking that MSRP is around six on a new one. Any thoughts.............
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I haven't been really impressed with the SPS 700s I've looked at, and, though it can obviously be done, .223 isn't ideal for that kind of range. You're still going to have to toss the stock on the SPS and probably pull the barrel and square the action, which is why we had suggested the Savage since you can pull it and replace it yourself, saving gunsmith fees on both ends.
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

fun gun

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

I am pretty good at listening. I have been searching for a few hours on Gun broker and other sites. I will find a deal when its time. I have found a few different models. A 10 FPC? In 308 and a few different 260's. What is a 300 Whisper based on and is it a good platform????? I failed to mention that I will suppress this rifle so it probable changes things a bit. Thanks for all the conversation. My wife doesn't totally understand my fixation but puts up with me babling most of the time. Lol
utahpredator_7

Post by utahpredator_7 »

300 Whisper is a .223 necked up. Not an 800 yard cartridge.
bondoscustomz1
Senior Silent Operator

300 Whisper

Post by bondoscustomz1 »

I had heard about the 300 whisper but didn't know how it came about. Anyway, I have a person that has a 308 that I'm trying to get. Hell, after that I am purchasing a Sako TRG 42 in .338 Lapua. If I can't get there with those, I will quit shooting and take up finger painting! lol Thanks guys for all your input. If you keep talking about what "you" would do, it may push me to buy more toy's :wink: Just can't let momma know......... :evil: :evil:
Stefan

Re: Fun gun to 800yds

Post by Stefan »

Rebarreling on both can be done at home providing the barrels are already cut for the correct chamber and such.
Barrel nut on the Savage, action block on the on the Remington and for both if I remember correctly a barrel vise.
Both are extremely capable and great rifles!
I have a friend who runs a Savage 10 .308 in a B&C stock out to 1000 yards. Its a darn good shooter and a very well respected rifle that is rather inexpensive!
There are many options for the Savage as well as the Remington!

There is a website called Savageshooter or something like that which has a lot of good info!

I'm running a Sako TRG-22 .308 with a 20" barrel as well as a Remington 700 Sendero .300WM both are capable of 1000 yard. The .300WM with my Sako muzzle brake tames the .300WM to an extremely comfortable level! If you have a .300WM that you do not like shooting I would suggest maybe a Badger FTE muzzle brake for it! I shot 50 210grn Berger VLD projo's backed with 73grns of RE22 which is a bit warm and the only reason that I didn't shoot more was that I had only brought 50 rounds! I would only shoot about 20 or 30 rounds prior to the having the muzzle brake on there since I have torn my rotator cup on my shoulder. I have both barrels threaded for 18X1 for my TBAC 30P-1 which I'm waiting on the stamp before I can take posetion of.