effectiveness of 300 whisper

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Re: effectiveness of 300 whisper

Post by robpiat »

htate wrote:Since I'm not a ballistician, I'll let Mr. Jones defend that one for himself. But whether bullet design or twist,
he was pretty specific about the 240 MK tumbling in game.

I think Hubris is the best way to describe what I have heard about him. People seem to think he invented something wildly original.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The bullet will tumble, but it would also tumble if you used a faster twist. It is the 'just stable' part which is the junk science.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by imyomama »

JustaPhule wrote:
rsm688 wrote: Thats unfortunate :( , I wish there was something more powerful I could run through my 9mm can
Check out the .338 Spectre by Marty ter Weeme at Teppo Jutsu http://teppojutsu.com/338.htm
yeah what he said ... just got these in the mail today ... 300 grain hpbt sierra match king for my 338 Spectre..

major smack down !!!!
I run mine through my trident 9mm can... work good ... smacks even better!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

Here are some 300gr SMK 338 Spectre fired into some phone books.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

I have a 300 whisper ar and a bolt gun In 300 blackout ( yah I know ) but somebody please tell me about the .338 specter?? does it wor those pictures look k on a standard ar or a AR10 ?
alleycat72
Silent But Deadly

Post by alleycat72 »

I8asquirrel wrote:I have a 300 whisper ar and a bolt gun In 300 blackout ( yah I know ) but somebody please tell me about the .338 specter?? does it wor those pictures look k on a standard ar or a AR10 ?

AR 15 and it uses 10mm mag brass.

http://teppojutsu.com/338.htm
www.1050fps.com
http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

Thanks Allycat..Thats awsome....
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the lack of subsonic expansion in projos designed for rifle rounds is one reason so many people use medium and large bore pistol rounds. What a .44 or .45 lacks in distance it picks up in wound cavity. You just have to get closer to the game.

That was my thinking when I had a .357 Handi rifle threaded up to put a 9mm can on. Likewise I've used a 45 acp Enfield with a CAC45 with great results. Just not from very far away.

I have a buddy who is all kinds of in love with his 300 whisper. He doesn't hunt and spends more time playing with loads than shooting.

I'm definitely NOT saying you shouldn't get a good, dedicated suppressed cartridge rifle. I plan on one myself at some point. I am saying that if the OP has a .9mm can and wants to shoot some stuff with it, consider shooting .38 special through it and figure out how to get within 50 tards of what you want to kill. That should hold you over while you decide what rifle/round/suppressor combination is what you really want.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

jlwilliams wrote:As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the lack of subsonic expansion in projos designed for rifle rounds is one reason so many people use medium and large bore pistol rounds. What a .44 or .45 lacks in distance it picks up in wound cavity. You just have to get closer to the game.

That was my thinking when I had a .357 Handi rifle threaded up to put a 9mm can on. Likewise I've used a 45 acp Enfield with a CAC45 with great results. Just not from very far away.

I have a buddy who is all kinds of in love with his 300 whisper. He doesn't hunt and spends more time playing with loads than shooting.

I'm definitely NOT saying you shouldn't get a good, dedicated suppressed cartridge rifle. I plan on one myself at some point. I am saying that if the OP has a .9mm can and wants to shoot some stuff with it, consider shooting .38 special through it and figure out how to get within 50 tards of what you want to kill. That should hold you over while you decide what rifle/round/suppressor combination is what you really want.

yes and no.. rifle cartridge have far more energy downrange.... pistol caliber have terrible bc.. and loose energy quickly..

if a rifle cartrige thumble inside the animal it could make as big or bigger wound cavity... and those big 220 to 300 grain bullets thumble pretty easy... don't get me wrong , i love my suppressed 44 and 45 too and i have both, but my 300 0r 338 Spectre are much more powerful... so if you're close enough and can make a perfect shot , then it doesn't matter..
here is an example with winchester 40 grain subsonic..
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
htate

Post by htate »

robpiat wrote:
htate wrote:Since I'm not a ballistician, I'll let Mr. Jones defend that one for himself. But whether bullet design or twist,
he was pretty specific about the 240 MK tumbling in game.

I think Hubris is the best way to describe what I have heard about him. People seem to think he invented something wildly original.

I detected some of that when we spoke. What stood out at the time was that he spent a lot more effort trying to wheedle a free hog hunt from me than he did trying to sell me his goods. Never a good sign.
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

My porch overlooks my pasture...set the corn out to about 50 yards and keep the light on at night. I've killed about a dozen hogs shooting them broadside in the boiler room with .22 subsonics (wolf match or dynapoints) and just like any other critter, they'll make a 50 to 75 yard dash and that'll be all she wrote.

And no, this is not unloading a whole clip into the varmint - just one shot.

Hogs aren't the mythical beasts like many claim them to be. If a 22 can do it, any caliber bigger and heavier surely will.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

At the time I built my 300/221 (later rechambered for 300 BLK) there was no 338 Spectre. My barrel was made by the fella that eventually made the Spectre barrels for Teppo Jutsu ... Paladin Machine Services.

Teppo Jutsu is now on hiatus and SBR owns the rights to the 338 Spectre. (from discussions with Paladin on 4/20/12)

I can tell you that the one deer I've taken with the subsonic suppressed 300 BLK was a DRT as a result of a neck shot at 65 yards. The 220 gr SMK exited sideways ... it had become unstabilized on impact.

Were I to do it again I well might build a 338 Spectre if barrels were available or if Paladin were allowed to make me a barrel. Have enough investment in the 300 BLK that I doubt I will replace it.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

M16MANIAC wrote:Here are some 300gr SMK 338 Spectre fired into some phone books.
Phone book hunting is boring. And they have no flavor.