Add stock to GSG5PK??

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Add stock to GSG5PK??

Post by Irelander »

I've heard conflicting information about adding a stock to a pistol. I see they sell a small stock for Glock pistols which looks neat and heard lots of guys say that you do not need to do a Form 1. I see a few GSG5PK pistols on here with stocks added and they had to register it as an SBR. What's the difference between adding a stock to a Glock or adding one to a GSG5PK? Are the guys that said the Glock mod does not need SBR registration wrong? Just wondering what the deal is.
CZ 452 + TAC65 = "CLICK" :D
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Illegal in the fifty states. Even posession of one that is not attached is a crime.... same for the GLOCK if you ask me.
-----
Ick
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

Where is the ATF reference for this law?
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

ANY gun (other then registered full auto) with a stock and barrel less then 16" that has rifling is an SBR and needs to registered as such.

If you add a 16"+ barrel and a stock then it is a legal rifle but the new ATF ruling says you can not legally go back to a pistol.

If I wrote all you need to know it would fill up pages. Here is a faster way, http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

Yea, that's what I thought. I guess I just figured that if you add a stock to a pistol, it's a pistol with a stock, not a rifle with a short barrel. If you add a stock to a pistol it doesn't change the registration of the pistol into a rifle, it's still a pistol as it was registered. I guess I shouldn't look for logical thought at the ATF.
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

Irelander wrote:Yea, that's what I thought. I guess I just figured that if you add a stock to a pistol, it's a pistol with a stock, not a rifle with a short barrel. If you add a stock to a pistol it doesn't change the registration of the pistol into a rifle, it's still a pistol as it was registered. I guess I shouldn't look for logical thought at the ATF.
By adding a stock to a pistol it no longer fits the definition of a pistol.

What definition of a pistol has a stock on it? By definition a "pistol" with a stock is a SBR.

What definition of pistol has a stock or a 16"+ barrel on it? By definition a "pistol" with stock and 16"+ barrel is a rifle.
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Regardless, IMHO it would be worth the $200 tax stamp.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

nwcid wrote:
Irelander wrote:Yea, that's what I thought. I guess I just figured that if you add a stock to a pistol, it's a pistol with a stock, not a rifle with a short barrel. If you add a stock to a pistol it doesn't change the registration of the pistol into a rifle, it's still a pistol as it was registered. I guess I shouldn't look for logical thought at the ATF.

What definition of a pistol has a stock on it? By definition a "pistol" with a stock is a SBR.

What definition of pistol has a stock or a 16"+ barrel on it? By definition a "pistol" with stock and 16"+ barrel is a rifle.
I thought what defines the firearm is what it was registered as when purchased.
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Irelander wrote:
nwcid wrote:

I thought what defines the firearm is what it was registered as when purchased.

No, because when you do your Form 1 you're 'making a firearm', and registering your firearm as an SBR. It was once a pistol, but after your Form 1 is approved it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle. A lot of people buy the pistol version of firearms because it's a lot easier to throw a stock on it when the Form 1 is approved as to having to get a new barrel, handguard, ect.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Pistol + foregrip = AOW (Any Other Weapon), NFA item
Pistol + stock = SBR (Short Barreled Rifle), NFA item
Pistol + stock + foregrip = SBR (Short Barreled Rifle), NFA item

Any of the above require registering the firearm as the applicable NFA category of firearm via the ATF Form 1 prior to adding the desired parts. There were even devices that mounted to the forward rails of pistols allowing you to store a spare magazine, inverted, that the ATF ruled to be constructing AOW's because the spare magazine could be used as a foregrip.

Yes, it's stupid, but that's NFA law.

For references, read the following:
Gun Control Act
National Firearms Act

Specifically, look for "SBR" and "AOW" in the National Firearms Act. Also, I believe even the GSG-5 now falls under 922(r) regulations, so good luck with that. :?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Irelander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Irelander »

OK, thanks guys. I guess you just have to think like a gun hater.

After mulling it over I think I'm going to go the SBR route with my 10/22 instead of the GSG-5PK. It will be easier on my funds.
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

Irelander wrote:OK, thanks guys. I guess you just have to think like a gun hater.
Well in 1934 guns were defined as having certain features and were called something. That is where the names and descriptions came from.

Here is some more info on how it started, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act