1/2x28 threads on an AK?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rob
Elite Member

1/2x28 threads on an AK?

Post by Rob »

Forgive my ignorance, but is there enough meat on an AK barrel to thread it 1/2x28? This is for a flash suppressor, not a silencer.

Thanks,
Rob
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1/2x28 threads on an AK?

Post by John A. »

Interordnance Inc STG2000 7.62x39 AK's have a 1/2-28 thread on them. Or at least my old one does. It's one of the older imported chrome lined/hammer forged barrels.

Just keep in mind that if you planned to use any type of flashider, to make sure it's reamed out accordingly because most 1/2-28 hiders are for smaller diameter bullets originally.

I don't care what your chart says
BLACK XS
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLACK XS »

I spoke with Lance @ West Coast Armory about this a few weeks ago and he seemed to think it wouldnt be an issue, but did touch on the point that John A. brought up

Most of the conversation revolved around an AK74, but he showed a few examples of 47's that were threaded w/out any problems
300BLKforums.com
20nickels
Silent Operator

Post by 20nickels »

It works fine.
oozing personality
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

If its 14mm now, you would be hard pressed to improve on the FSC-47. If its not threaded, it might be a turned down barrel that doesn't have enough meat on it. Easy enough to tell with a ruler. Many post ban guns had the threads removed which causes it to be a huge PITA to reset the FSB and thread it.
20nickels
Silent Operator

Post by 20nickels »

robpiat wrote:If its 14mm now, you would be hard pressed to improve on the FSC-47. If its not threaded, it might be a turned down barrel that doesn't have enough meat on it. Easy enough to tell with a ruler. Many post ban guns had the threads removed which causes it to be a huge PITA to reset the FSB and thread it.
Agreed, I'm running a FSC-30 right now because the previous owner threaded this 1/2x28 for whatever reason.
oozing personality