7.62x39 pistol

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

7.62x39 pistol

Post by sub-sonic »

I want to build a pistol ar15 in 7.62x39 so I can hunt deer with it next year. Is there a maximum barrel length for a pistol?
aslo who makes a proper barel for the caliber? 7.62x39 is realy 7.7 same as .303 british. I had a ruger mini 30 and they had used 30cal barrels and it broke using russian ammo. ruger said I must use american made ammo with the wrong size projectile IE:30 cal
sorry to be a pain but I want to fire sks ammo for fun and hand loads for hunting.

7.62 x51 and 30-06=300
7.62x39 =.312

now thats a bit of difference if you are using a 30 cal barrel for sks ammo
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I've never heard of a maximum barrel length in a pistol - common are Thompson/Center Contenders with 14 inch and over barrels. You'll need to make your pistol on a receiver that classified from the maker and on the books as a pistol receiver.
You can use .308 barrel with .311 bullets just make sure the throat of your chamber is configured to squeeze it down and not have an abrupt transition. Ruger's comment is more about higher pressure surplus ammo than bullet size.
by the way it's 7.62x51/30-06=.308 vs. 7.62x39 =.311

And FYI - the AR bolt head has known problem with giving up the ghost with larger AK round chambering - that's why I finally chose to use 300 whisper, well that and the magazine feeding/capacity issues...
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

thanks for the info on the bolt head I looked it up and now I have changed my mind. what other caliber is available that I can make a pistol out of that is also a capable deer cartridge? mags are not a problem because I can only have 5 rounds for hunting.

also I would like to use the upper on my carbine by adding a long flash hider
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

If the barrel is over 16" and overall length exceeds 26", then for practical legal purposes it is not a pistol (precedence: pistol-grip-only shotguns with no restrictive classification).

(IANAL, just spent inordinate time studying firearms law.)
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

sub-sonic wrote:thanks for the info on the bolt head I looked it up and now I have changed my mind. what other caliber is available that I can make a pistol out of that is also a capable deer cartridge? mags are not a problem because I can only have 5 rounds for hunting.

also I would like to use the upper on my carbine by adding a long flash hider
6.8 or 6.5 has factory ammo and longer range
- If your a Reloader 300 or 338 whisper - .
Close Range 458 SOCOM or 50 Beuwolf or new 45 Bushmaster
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

I was under the impression that the 6.8 was made on the 7.62x39 case.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

you asked
what other caliber is available
I already told you my choice is 300/221 fireball aka 300 whisper if purchased from JD Jones aka SSK...
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

what about 6.5 or 6.8 will one of those work
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Any of them will "work" question becomes how many rounds before you need to fix it. :P
That's why companies do testing - You'll notice that on Colt Delta Elite part of the frame was removed as that part alway cracked from a regular 1911A1 frame when used with 10mm ammo - remove the part before it cracks do some rounding to spread the force see where else it cracks :roll:

Hunting also brings up the question how effective is terminal ballistic's on it. You have to decide what it will do to the animal - part of the reason I went 300 whisper is that long barely stable heavy bullet when encountering flesh will destabalize and tumble even though it won't expand it will still cause quite a bit of damage. :wink:
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

sub-sonic wrote:I was under the impression that the 6.8 was made on the 7.62x39 case.
The parent case is .30 Remington, shortened to fit the AR15 magazine OAL.
steve--oh

Post by steve--oh »

Good luck building a pistol in 7.62x39. I shot a regular 16" AR with an A2 stock in that caliber, and it kicked considerably more than 5.56.