Feedback on UTG rails

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tomahawk84
Silent But Deadly

Feedback on UTG rails

Post by tomahawk84 »

Hey guys My work is trying to purchase UTG rails for our rock river AR. I'm trying to collect some info on why we shouldn't be mounting 20k optics on 69.00 rails. perhaps I can be pointed to some positive and or negative info on UTG rails.
N/A
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: Feedback on UTG rails

Post by 700PSS »

FWIW, there are many user reviews at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/ARR238-7.html

I was going to get one myself, but when I saw I could get a Daniel Defense EZ CAR 7.0 Rail for <$160 it made me change my mind.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop ... uct_id=272
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

If you can afford better, get better.

Personally, I have this exact set of UTG rails on my AR and they are more solid than the Olympic Arms FIRSH free-floater I had on another AR. I like that it came with rail covers, too. UTG is mostly known for making airsoft gear, so understand that some elitists will mock your rig. Also, I have the rails so I can use a foregrip and mount a light, I would most certainly not trust them as a host for optics as they do not free float and are, after all, made by an airsoft manufacturer. Another alternative would be YHM's stuff. They are a well reputed company (they make silencers too, for example) and have very affordable pricing if you shop around. Whatever route you go, do shop around... I'm pretty sure I found my UTG handguards for $45, and that's why I could justify buying them instead of the YHM set for around $100.

Now, the above is because I'm constantly broke and having to scrimp, save, and hunt for bargains. The UTG rails fit my needs and budget fine. However, if someone told me they planned on mounting $20,000 optics (what is this, some sort of thermal imaging rig?) to a rifle on UTG rails I'd ask WTF was wrong with them. If you have high quality optics, they're only as good as how they interface with your rifle (rings, mount, base). If you've got money for $20,000 optics, you've got money to buy quality, name-brand forearms.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

I too have a set of these on my rifle and this is mainly because of the limited funds I had available at the time. My RRA M4'gery has all top of the line manufactured gear but this piece. (i.e. SOCOM M4 Carbine stock, EoTech 511, Matech flip-up BUIS, Phantom flash-hider, MOE pistol grip, Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard, Grip Pod, Beta C-Mag, P-mags, 3-point sling...and a UTG railed handguard.)

Now, after about a year and a half they still are on the rifle because I see no reason to replace them for a product that is almost EXACTLY the same but will NOT offer a SIGNIFICANT improvement at 2-3x the price.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

They are solid. I was worried, but they are a heck of a lot sturdier than I would have guessed. well worth more than 69.00
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

+1 just installed one last week on a buddys AR it was solid as my YHM in my opinion
YHM Mite SS w/QD 4 sale $175 form 3 in Texas
You cant miss fast enough to make up for a hit.
RON PAUL 2012
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I got one on a spare 16" upper and it's surprisingly a tight fit .... this is not the free float type , just replaces the 2 halfes type handguard , and i'm actually really pleased with it..

it's cheap chinese crap , but it's just a peice of aluminun .. pretty hard to screw that up..

I would recommend it for someone who wants to upgrade their regular handguard to a 4 rail without breaking the bank.
got mine on ebay some time ago for $40 delivered and it's been worth it !!!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
billybronco
Senior Silent Operator

Post by billybronco »

JUNK - CRAP - Excellent for Airsoft guns not for battle rifles.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

The question to be asked is why mount 20K optics on a non-free floated handguard.
and
20K optics?
Thermal I guess? (and expensive for that)

Seriously, the dude affords $20K optics, but doesn't care about free-floating the tube? That's like $10K of rims on a $400 LTD.

Note that I say "the dude affords" but I didn't say "the dude can afford". There's an intentional distinction here.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

wow... necro-thread.

Well, I still have my UTG handguards and still run them on my AR. I'm now using a "Slide-fire" stock, bipod, and 100 round drum. They haven't come loose or wobbled yet.

That said, yeah, if you can afford better get better. I've seen a lot of junk from UTG, but these rails are surprisingly better than what you pay for.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
wrenchmonkey

Post by wrenchmonkey »

UTG's quality has gone up considerably in the past 2-3 years. Their rails are quite solid, but they're also heavy. For not much more money, you can get Yankee Hill Machine rails that are lighter, prettier, and higher quality...
MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

8.6oz heavy?
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Selectedmarksman wrote:wow... necro-thread.

Honest.. it was alive when I got here.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights