Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nevermiss
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Post by nevermiss »

Looks like I may be adding another Noveske to my collection.

Although, this is an upper I may want to build (this would be my first upper build) because I think that a Troy Extreme BattleRail or VTAC Rail would go great on an SBR. However, I sure do like my 6.8 12.5" Crusader with switchblock upper from Noveske.

I know what I'll be getting myself for Christmas this year.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

nevermiss wrote:I think that a Troy Extreme BattleRail or VTAC Rail would go great on an SBR.
We build rifles and uppers with those rails.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... -68_1d.jpg
nevermiss
Senior Silent Operator

Post by nevermiss »

-k- wrote:
nevermiss wrote:I think that a Troy Extreme BattleRail or VTAC Rail would go great on an SBR.
We build rifles and uppers with those rails.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... -68_1d.jpg

SWEEEET. I feel like an idiot. I've seen the pics of the Rogue Hunter on your website and I noticed it was a different rail, but I never clicked to see the enlarged image and note that it is the Troy Extreme BattleRail.

Looks like I'll be getting another complete Noveske upper. Can I place an order and pay for it today ..........ha..ha...JK...sort of...the blemished lower deal expires tomorrow and I really would be happy to pay for a 300 AAC Blackout upper with the Troy rail now :D .

I purchased one of the Magpul lower Noveske Rifles and a 6.8 upper and the quality and customer service have both been exemplary. I also shoot 3 gun and I've had a chance to meet one of the guys on the NST and he represents the sport and your product very well.

Keep up the great work!
Medic650

Post by Medic650 »

I hope Noveske will consider a 300 Blackout barrels or uppers with a Switchblock.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Medic650 wrote:I hope Noveske will consider a 300 Blackout barrels or uppers with a Switchblock.
Just wondering why?

the switchblock is a great addition to a 5.56 system in terms of reducing overgassing when shooting suppressed, but the 300 BLK is so much reduced in terms of pressure, gas and blast that I doubt it will be beneficial. Even suppressed full-auto on a 9", the 300 BLK doesn't gas you.

I am really excited to see where this round goes.
Kick Ass Design
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Medic650 wrote:I hope Noveske will consider a 300 Blackout barrels or uppers with a Switchblock.
We will definitely be testing it and we have been doing some 300FB testing this year. The slower powders in subsonic is a huge plus for more consistent cycling between sub and super, makes the Switchblock less needed.

If we design the system around subsonic with a silencer as the minimum to cycle instead of subsonic without the silencer the Switchblock will be even less needed.

More testing before I can say anything for sure.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

True. The Remington subsonic ammo generates as much gas port pressure as A1680 powder, which makes it closer to supersonic ammo in function. That is why the carbine gas works with 16 inch. And the further you can put out the gas port, the easier it is to extract supersonic ammo and the smaller the difference to the operating system between variations in powder type (which is why some 5.56mm people like mid-length gas over carbine gas).

We are designing our 16 inch around subsonic with a silencer as min cycle. Our 9 inch is designed around subsonic without a silencer - as I thought certain users who get shot at would appreciate it still working with subsonic ammo if they lost their silencer. But 16 inch people are less likely to care about subsonic ammo working without a silencer.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

silencertalk wrote:Our 9 inch is designed around subsonic without a silencer - as I thought certain users who get shot at would appreciate it still working with subsonic ammo if they lost their silencer.
I sure won't pay the premium for subsonic ammo to shoot it without a silencer. I expect civilian customers will feel the same.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

No one would intentionally shoot subsonic ammo without a silencer, but if you are in a firefight and all you have is subsonic ammo, then you may have to. I decided it was important for the 9 inch to function that way as the people who buy that are more likely to be using it for combat, but not the 16 inch - which I see more for commercial use.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

We are not going to finalize the gas port sizes and sell barrels/uppers/rifles until we test with the factory ammo but we will start cutting the barrels next week. 8", 10", and 16" for now.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

silencertalk wrote:No one would intentionally shoot subsonic ammo without a silencer, but if you are in a firefight and all you have is subsonic ammo, then you may have to. I decided it was important for the 9 inch to function that way as the people who buy that are more likely to be using it for combat, but not the 16 inch - which I see more for commercial use.
That is a good call. Especially because every part that can wear down due to an oversized gas port can be replaced with pieces the government has laying around by the millions.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Also what happens if a subsonic round is mixed in with your ammo? I don't want the rifle to not cycle.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I'd like to see the subsonic marked in an obvious way to avoid mixing, like having the bullet tip colored etc.

It's understandable for the military application where someone may need to run through a bunch of mags, some loaded with subs, without time to attach a silencer. I think there is a pretty small military use for subsonic, everyone else should shoot subs for fun and super for LE/HD/Hunting. For LE or HD use the wrong round fired could be a very big problem itself, a non expanding or fragmenting 220gr bullet flying through your target and then multiple walls should be enough of a reason to make absolutely sure rounds are not mixed.

The issue is also bigger than parts wear. When the rifle operates outside of an optimal range, the number of stoppages can go up. So you may have to accept a higher rate of stoppages with supersonic suppressed so that one round you mixed in the mag of sub will cycle.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If I can get it marked I will. Ammo is being loaded this week so not sure there is time.

Some guy on M4C just said that Grendel bolts last as many rounds as 5.56mm bolts.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

silencertalk wrote:Some guy on M4C just said that Grendel bolts last as many rounds as 5.56mm bolts.
Be sure to read his sigline. I think it's safe to say he's heavily invested in the 6.5, which to me is cause for skepticism.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Curlymaple42

Post by Curlymaple42 »

Rob, you are right. That guy is heavily invested in the 6.5G and reality is, there is more pressure and bolt thrust in the 6.5G. Powder choice is much more finicky and some of the prefered powders are VERY temperature sensitive!! I will still own an 18" 6.5G for hunting as well as a custom TC Encore in 6.5G, but I will be adding a .300BLK to the stable as well. Reality is, at northeast deer hunting ranges, the .300BLK is perfect!!! Most guys around here still hunt with 30-30's actually as it is rural. I hunt with a .50Beo usually, but more importantly, I hunt with an AR15 just because it works good and it gets a rise out of guys when I come out of the woods. Gotta love it!
www.50beowulf.com/forum admin
www.wildcherrywoodworks.com
Fine Custom Furniture & Firearm Displays
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

just read up on this thread. i'd DEFINITELY purchase a 8" or 10". i already have a 10.5" of yours and have been considering getting another. i saw that SilencerCo video of them shooting full auto and suppressed through a 300 Whisper with their Osprey. now i want a Fireball/Blackout/Whisper barrel for my AR. i've already got a spare upper sitting around.
Blackwind

Post by Blackwind »

-k- wrote:We are not going to finalize the gas port sizes and sell barrels/uppers/rifles until we test with the factory ammo but we will start cutting the barrels next week. 8", 10", and 16" for now.
Awesome and can't wait!
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

For Jason's question about why wanting a Switchblock. I would want one to shut the system off. I would like to have the option to get it as quiet as possible by eliminating the action noise.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

J Krammes wrote:For Jason's question about why wanting a Switchblock. I would want one to shut the system off. I would like to have the option to get it as quiet as possible by eliminating the action noise.

Jeremy
normal and off. i hear you... or I don't hear you... :wink:
Kick Ass Design
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

J Krammes wrote:For Jason's question about why wanting a Switchblock. I would want one to shut the system off. I would like to have the option to get it as quiet as possible by eliminating the action noise.
There are probably enough who only want the off position that we will come out with a Switchblock model. It can also have a setting to reduce the cyclic rate of supersonic suppressed as well, even if it's less needed than on a 5.56.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

-k- wrote:
There are probably enough who only want the off position that we will come out with a Switchblock model. It can also have a setting to reduce the cyclic rate of supersonic suppressed as well, even if it's less needed than on a 5.56.

Great! On/Off is fine with me.

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

i can't wait to get a Novekse Blackout barrel. i'm hoping you guys will sell just the barrel. i need something to fit in my bag (pictured below). my shorty doesn't fit in there, unless it's broken down.
nevermiss
Senior Silent Operator

Post by nevermiss »

Have you had a chance to start testing ammo with various barrel lengths and gas port sizes?

Any chance your uppers will be shipping by Christmas?

OK...no more questions.

I've been a good boy this year and this is at the top of my list for Santa Claus!
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

-k- wrote:There are probably enough who only want the off position that we will come out with a Switchblock model. It can also have a setting to reduce the cyclic rate of supersonic suppressed as well, even if it's less needed than on a 5.56.
Good call.