300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Which zoom range?

1-3x zoom so I can go down to 1x.
19%
1.5-5x zoom as I would rather go up to 5x
61%
Illuminated 1x fixed to save weight and cost.
11%
Fixed 4x
9%

Total votes: 183

Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Post by Alangaq »

I have the Vortex but am still working up loads and haven’t even bothered with sighting in or accuracy work. So far I like the scope however I will likely never crank it below 4 X. And I am having a problem with the lighted reticle. It works great until you shoot the rifle, then the illumination goes out and you have to take the battery out to get it to come back on… bullshit that a $500 scope is defective. Guess after I am done with load development I will pull it and ship it in for warranty. Supposedly Vortex has “great customer service”…. Well, I’ll see about that I guess.
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Alangaq wrote:I have the Vortex but am still working up loads and haven’t even bothered with sighting in or accuracy work. So far I like the scope however I will likely never crank it below 4 X. And I am having a problem with the lighted reticle. It works great until you shoot the rifle, then the illumination goes out and you have to take the battery out to get it to come back on… bullshit that a $500 scope is defective. Guess after I am done with load development I will pull it and ship it in for warranty. Supposedly Vortex has “great customer service”…. Well, I’ll see about that I guess.
Thanks for the report. Please let us(me) know how their service is. Really sucks to have problems right out of the box.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Alangaq wrote:I have the Vortex but am still working up loads and haven’t even bothered with sighting in or accuracy work. So far I like the scope however I will likely never crank it below 4 X. And I am having a problem with the lighted reticle. It works great until you shoot the rifle, then the illumination goes out and you have to take the battery out to get it to come back on… bullshit that a $500 scope is defective. Guess after I am done with load development I will pull it and ship it in for warranty. Supposedly Vortex has “great customer service”…. Well, I’ll see about that I guess.
Dude, don't feel so bad. Leupold has my $1,200 MR/T right now. Similar issue and very little use so far.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/view ... &t=73925&p
Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

yeah, i am a bit bummed as i did a lot of reading and research before buying the damn thing and had always read only postive things about this scope... to be fair, other than the illumination issue, it does seem to be a really nice scope. The optics are great compared to anything else I have and the turret markings are nice!
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

So is Vortex the only option for a 300 BLK optic with drop markings? Really?!

I've been pushing the build back more and more but I've gotten down to just this one build and one other gun to buy. I assumed things would have been figured out here by now.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

The Burris FullField II scopes with a Ballistic Plex have drop marked reticles too.

The Pulsar Digisight D550 has reticles that have drop markings and the reticle can be moved electronically as well. Is a different approach to NV. Seems to be good to 200+ yards. Not as good as Gen III+ but a rationally priced and useful alternative.

The combination of suppressor and NV is ideal for the night hunting of piggies.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

silencertalk wrote:It is a tortoise and a hare in the reticle.

If I find 50 $20 bills, I will trade them for this scope.
KingTiger
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingTiger »

Yeah, I don't have one large laying around for that scope.
Although I got to look thru a pre-release model at Buckarama & it was nice.

I went with the Leatherwood 1-4 instead.
At least it has a balistic drop reticle.
When my upper comes in from DCA, I'll have a chance to try it.

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR- ... 47565.aspx
Controlled Cacophony