300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Which zoom range?

1-3x zoom so I can go down to 1x.
19%
1.5-5x zoom as I would rather go up to 5x
61%
Illuminated 1x fixed to save weight and cost.
11%
Fixed 4x
9%

Total votes: 183

silencertalk
Site Admin

300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Post by silencertalk »

I am looking at some scope options to make have either a BDC or a custom reticle.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: 300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Post by silencertalk »

What would you think of the small/light 1x Leupold prismatic?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=110048

Yes I know it does not have the infinite eye relief of the AIMPOINT, but on the plus side, it could have a custom BDC or recticle. Also on the plus side, if the battery dies, you still have the etched reticle - no need for a BUIS with it.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'm in the process of building a Fireball with integral suppressor. As I understand it many people are shooting this affectivly out to 300 yards. With my 40+ year old eyes I need some magnification at that distance. A 1.5-5 with a custom recticle for this subsonic round would be ideal for me.

Speaking of custom recticles: Why do so few recticles have hash marks above the centerline? With the arc of this round I would think that has marks above the centerline would work well.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Probably should have a 50 yard mark above the centerline.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

silencertalk wrote:Probably should have a 50 yard mark above the centerline.
Yep, I'd go with that.
That looks promising. Think Leupold could do it for under a grand?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

L1A1Rocker wrote:That looks promising. Think Leupold could do it for under a grand?
That would be my goal.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

silencertalk wrote:What would you think of the small/light 1x Leupold prismatic?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=110048

Yes I know it does not have the infinite eye relief of the AIMPOINT, but on the plus side, it could have a custom BDC or recticle. Also on the plus side, if the battery dies, you still have the etched reticle - no need for a BUIS with it.
Like. :)
Don't like. Not compact enough in overall length.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrsBUDgt ... 1&index=41

This is about 1/2 the price of the 1.5-5 by the time you get a mount for the 1.5-5.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

I tinkered with the prismatic at the SOFIC show and I didn't like it. It didn't seem to be any better than a clear tube but had eye relief and more importantly eye off center issues( Not sure what thats called)

I know there are alot of guys on here that by $1000 scopes(2k-3K even) but I still think the key to selling a good quantity is to be $300-$500.

I like the 1-4x Nikon M223 scope that I just bought....Could you get something done for that? Its comparable to a DMS but much better glass.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Let's list the ups and downs of the Prismatic:

Things it does better than AIMPOINT

1. Even if battery dies, it still works as a normal scope.
2. Can have a custom reticle for subsonic.
3. Can have a custom BDC for subsonic.

Things AIMPOINT does better:

1. Battery life so long, dot can always be on.
2. Unlimited eye relief.
3, No parallax (eye position) issues.

For 300 AAC BLACKOUT, I want a custom scope which can deal with the subsonic drop. I don't see a way to do that on the AIMPOINT.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

For 300 AAC BLACKOUT, I want a custom scope which can deal with the subsonic drop. I don't see a way to do that on the AIMPOINT.
I agree completely with that. I'd prefer a custom reticle with cross hatches from 50 to 300 yards.

That doesn't look too bad. AND optics plant has that one on sale for $600.00. It would be great to find something in the $300.00 range but I don't see that product ever coming from Leupold. Maybe Rsilvers could swing a special introductory price for us. . .
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

How about this?
http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN4-150

its not under a grand, but they will make you custom turrets, and I really like the JNG reticle.

This will be my next purchase, hopefully around Christmas
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

What about FFP?
I thought that was also one of your goals.
Did you abandon that requirement due to cost?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

FFP is a requirement for a zoom with a custom reticle but not for a zoom with a BDC.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Why not put a T-1 in a Matech mount with a custom BDC knob?

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscou ... gun-sight/

The knobs could be made by someone else, and the mounts would be cheap. Its not a reticle, so it would require an adjustment, but it would be quick, people could use the T-1 / H-1 they already own, and just swap the BDC knob for sub / super / etc...
Last edited by goteron on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

goteron wrote:Why not put a T-1 in a Matech mount with a custom BDC knob?
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearsco ... gun-sight/

The knobs could be made by someone else, and the mounts would be cheap. Its not a reticle, so it would require an adjustment, but it would be quick, people could use the T-1 / H-1 they already own, and just swap the BDC knob for sub / super / etc...
That is a very cool solution
Kick Ass Design
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I have come to like having the BDC built into the mounts. I think the scopes with the smaller parts are more subject to wear and since many are aluminum they will wear quicker. Also you are not relying on the springs inside the scope to recenter the reticule each time. I believe this to be more solider proof than letting them monkey with the scopes zero as well.

This looks like a nice solution, though I prefer the BDC reticule over this but this would be my second option over knob type BDC. The problem with knob based BDC is it is only good for 1 ballistic solution where you can have 2 like the Leupold AAC reticule with one side for subsonic and the other for supersonic.

Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Mongo wrote:I have come to like having the BDC built into the mounts. I think the scopes with the smaller parts are more subject to wear and since many are aluminum they will wear quicker. Also you are not relying on the springs inside the scope to recenter the reticule each time. I believe this to be more solider proof than letting them monkey with the scopes zero as well.

This looks like a nice solution, though I prefer the BDC reticule over this but this would be my second option over knob type BDC. The problem with knob based BDC is it is only good for 1 ballistic solution where you can have 2 like the Leupold AAC reticule with one side for subsonic and the other for supersonic.

The reticle would definately be faster, but comes with limitations as well. I am not sure how many positions are on the BDC knob, but for the 300BLK you could have a 100 and 100S (Suppressed), or just have two knobs for. You could also sell knobs that do not have machined flats and let people machine / get theirs machined for their hand-loads or setup.

I would setup mine something like this

100 - 0
20 / 30 - (that is 200 yards sub, 300 yards super)
25 / 40 - 250 Sub / 400 Super
30 / 45 - (300 yards sub / 45 super)
500 - 500 Super

Or something similar, I am only interetsed in sub to maybe 300 yards, so you could work something out. Bottom line is you can configure how you want.

Also you can use a 3x mag in a QD mount behind the T-1, off when you want light, on when you want magnification
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Me likey!
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I think you're just being silly not going with easy range adjustments with subsonic rounds. I say FFP Leupold with some magnification. Somewhere from 1.5x-3x.

I don't really like adjustable power scopes, but I've never had a FFP scope before to get over that.

However, the BDC mount with custom markings sounds fantastic. The upside is having a much better picture of your target at distance, instead of having it bottomed out on your optic. The downside is having to play with your optic. Since you have the drop data for subs and supers, you could have a bunch of them set up with the right markings for drop. But do they make those for magnified optics or just little aimpoints? I want to shoot the thing out to 300 yards and be able to have a hope-and-pray setting possibly out further that'll get me minute of bad guy on a calm day.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Keep in mind you have a lot of support and acceptance for the T-1s. If you drop in am Aimpoint Twist Mount Base behind the mount you now have the option of putting a 3x magnifier or PVS-14 (In TNVC TM-14 Adapter) on it. You can use the optic setup for things other than 300BLK (As all you would have to do is change the BDC knob.) T-1s are already being used by a lot of shooters and the H-1's are relatively cheap, add the mount and you are all set to go.

If you havent shot a T-1 at distance, you would be surprised how accurate they are (even with a 3.5MOA dot). You can turn the brightness down and use the top of the dot as a reference. The T-1 is solidly built, lightweight, and reliable. Not to mention no reticles to deal with other manufacturers, just make your own BDC knob or contract with Ma-tech / LWRC or whoever owns the design.

Though im not a fan of the size of the mount (too long!) I would buy one. With the ACR, I could swap barrels, bolts, BDC knobs, re-zero and be ready to go.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

The Prismatic has a horrible reputation, FWIW.

What about a Compact ACOG? Can be run at close range with the lens cap closed and the cap can easily be flipped open for distance.

I think application is key here. If you're talking bench shooting then there is going to be a different set of criteria than 3-gun, different perhaps than hunting, different perhaps than military use, different than police use.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

goteron wrote: The reticle would definately be faster, but comes with limitations as well. I am not sure how many positions are on the BDC knob, but for the 300BLK you could have a 100 and 100S (Suppressed), or just have two knobs for. You could also sell knobs that do not have machined flats and let people machine / get theirs machined for their hand-loads or setup.

I would setup mine something like this

100 - 0
20 / 30 - (that is 200 yards sub, 300 yards super)
25 / 40 - 250 Sub / 400 Super
30 / 45 - (300 yards sub / 45 super)
500 - 500 Super

Or something similar, I am only interetsed in sub to maybe 300 yards, so you could work something out. Bottom line is you can configure how you want.

Also you can use a 3x mag in a QD mount behind the T-1, off when you want light, on when you want magnification
Good points on the mount BDC.

I really like the looks of this scope and mount and if I already didn't have an Elcan 145C on my LMG I would seriously consider one of these. But given MATECH does not sell their BUIS to civilians then I guess these are most likely also restricted.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/