300 BLK vs. 6.x

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rob_s
Silent But Deadly

300 BLK vs. 6.x

Post by rob_s »

I know the 6.8 and 6.5 fans think there's a world of difference between the two, but to the rest of us there isn't. and I know we've touched on this subject elsewhere in bits and pieces, but I thought a dedicated thread might be interesting and serve as a better archive for the discussions.

Obviously we know that the 300 BLK uses the same bolt and magazines and 5.56 ad requires only a barrel swap, while the 6.x calibers require new mag, bolt, and barrel, so let's skip talking about those.

What reasons would you choose a 6.x over the 300 BLK? Why would you choose a 300 BLK over a 6.x? What advantages does one have over the other, beyond the above?
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: 300 BLK vs. 6.x

Post by silencertalk »

300 BLK can make 3-gun major 320PF in barrels as short as 9 inches.

Even SSA 'Tactical' loads in 6.8 only go up to 296PF.

300 BLK cheaper ammo.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Right now the biggest plus of 300 BLK is going to be subsonic fun.

If HD ammo comes out and performs well then I will look at replacing my 10.5" 6.8 HD gun. It's most likely going to be used with what is in the gun so if terminal performance is equal I'd rather have 30 rounds than 25 in the mag with less flash/muzzle blast.

I expect in longer barrels the 6.8 will keep enough velocity for bullet upset to longer range than the 300 BLK, that may be beyond the range most game is shot at but it will matter to many hunters and be a realistic advantage to some.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

300 AAC BLACKOUT...

-30 rd mag capacity in the M4 mag
-reliable
-ammo...cheap and available
-bolts will last
-subsonic...and it cycles, and it is reeeeeeally quiet
-less recoil
-110gr-240gr bullets
-hunting ammo
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
nevermiss
Senior Silent Operator

Post by nevermiss »

All of the above, but.........you all must know something about future availability and ammo cost that I don't.

If there is good reliable home defense ammo that will expand and penetrate adequately from the velocity from a suppressed SBR, the it will replace my 6.8 12.5" as a home defense carbine.

A subsonic suppressed 300 Blackout will let me shoot in my backyard without the neighbors freakin' out.

I'll stick with the 6.8, 300 RUM, and my Hoyt and PSE for hunting.

My JP LRP-07 in 308 will blaze the way when I step up to 30 cal for 3 Gun. I guess as long as you know your hold overs, shooting the 300 Blackout won't be an issue for longer distance shots in 3 Gun.

I hope your statements about 300 Blackout ammo pricing and availability come to fruition.
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artfanantic-archive »

I have been trying to get a grasp on this on in the Ammo forum. Normally I try to avoid the fads, but I think I know have a grip on its operational concept.

I want to give this a try. Where is the best place to get started I have plenty of good kit to work with. I would prefer a complete upper and the 9" would be a good start. Is this for retail sale yet? Maybe a few hundered rounds?
dangerdan87
Silent But Deadly

Post by dangerdan87 »

6.X has longer range than the 300 BLK...
Uncle
Sam's
Misguided
Children
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Post by curious sam »

They are different beasts. The 6.5 Grendel is my midrange (out to 600 yds) choice.

Using supersonic ammo, I don't think there is much difference between the 300W, 6.5, 308, etc. How dead is dead? Good shot placement with a 2300-2900 fps rifle projectile is what it is.

The 300 offers the subsonic option to be truly quiet, however.

If you won't shoot past 200-250 yards, the 300W can do everything.

If you want to shoot past that, I'd stick with 223 or upgrade to 6.5.

Or, get both/all three ;)
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

6.x barrels readily available...... so building one is as easy as buying one ( and a bolt mags ect)

HAHA come on Noveske make some barrels
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

silencertalk wrote:300 BLK can make 3-gun major 320PF in barrels as short as 9 inches.

Even SSA 'Tactical' loads in 6.8 only go up to 296PF.

300 BLK cheaper ammo.
This is largely what I'm waiting on, numbers.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

nevermiss wrote:All of the above, but.........you all must know something about future availability and ammo cost that I don't.

If there is good reliable home defense ammo that will expand and penetrate adequately from the velocity from a suppressed SBR, the it will replace my 6.8 12.5" as a home defense carbine.

A subsonic suppressed 300 Blackout will let me shoot in my backyard without the neighbors freakin' out.

I'll stick with the 6.8, 300 RUM, and my Hoyt and PSE for hunting.

My JP LRP-07 in 308 will blaze the way when I step up to 30 cal for 3 Gun. I guess as long as you know your hold overs, shooting the 300 Blackout won't be an issue for longer distance shots in 3 Gun.

I hope your statements about 300 Blackout ammo pricing and availability come to fruition.
ALL of your concerns are already being addressed.

And yes, of course I have the inside poop on the ammo... :)
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

michaelrabern wrote:I have been trying to get a grasp on this on in the Ammo forum. Normally I try to avoid the fads, but I think I know have a grip on its operational concept.

I want to give this a try. Where is the best place to get started I have plenty of good kit to work with. I would prefer a complete upper and the 9" would be a good start. Is this for retail sale yet? Maybe a few hundered rounds?

300 AAC BLACKOUT will not be a fad...it is here to stay.

Upper are available from us or our dealers...and other outlets shortly.

Ammo will be available within two weeks...as of today.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Kevin/AAC wrote:
michaelrabern wrote:I have been trying to get a grasp on this on in the Ammo forum. Normally I try to avoid the fads, but I think I know have a grip on its operational concept.

What distributors are going to carry the ammo? Most have never even heard of it.
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artfanantic-archive »

Kevin/AAC wrote:

Understood. How to get the ordering process underway?
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

firefighter509 wrote:6.x barrels readily available...... so building one is as easy as buying one ( and a bolt mags ect)

Barrels are being made. Ammo for setting the gas port sizes will be here soon.
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

-k- wrote:
firefighter509 wrote:6.x barrels readily available...... so building one is as easy as buying one ( and a bolt mags ect)

Barrels are being made. Ammo for setting the gas port sizes will be here soon.

Thanks todd, I just got to get my jabs in trying to put the pressure on those with the ammo to share..... I am waiting on your production of these barrels as are many many other...

J
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
nevermiss
Senior Silent Operator

Post by nevermiss »

[quote="Kevin/AAC
Ammo will be available within two weeks...as of today.[/quote]

That would be Dec. 5th. It's on my iCal for Monday, Dec. 6th and I will be looking to place an order for a few boxes of everything that is available. I don't know where I will order it from or what will be available, but I'll be ready. Hopefully the suppressor is still on schedule as a public option around Shot Show. Todd says there are lots of barrels in the first run from Noveske. All is looking good:D