69%
Camo film over black plastic.
31%

Total votes: 45

silencertalk
Site Admin

Rem Model-7 - black or Camo?

Post by silencertalk »

The Model-7 is going to come in a Remington plastic stock. Normally I like black, but when it comes to molded plastic bolt action stocks, I think the camo looks better in person as it covers over the plastic texture.

Which do you prefer?

RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rem Model-7 - black or Camo?

Post by RavenArmament »

I'm not a hunter so black is fine with me.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
civil82

Post by civil82 »

IMO, black. Whatever you choose, I'm going to spray tan and OD green over it, anyway. Just make a quick decision and get one in my hands!
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

I voted Black.

I like plain plastic stocks, better than black would be O.D, Tan, FDE, etc.

I can see the lure of camo for hunters, but I would imagine it sells a smaller number than plain, but I have no idea. If I want camo on a rifle I'll paint it on the whole of it, stock, barrel, scope. Then if I dont like later I can strip it off and go back to plain.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would normally only consider black. I am only asking at all because the Remington camo is particularly nice:

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... dator.aspx
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

I think the camo is a good choice since this would make a killer lightweight hunting rifle, but can you keep the receiver/barrel black - that way it would loog good in the aftermarket stock that I'm sure most people would be looking for.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The barrel and receiver will be black.
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Post by DorikinGTSt »

I voted black. As stated above I will also be painting it OD. Remington's choice of Mossy Oak doesn't appeal to me. If I could get the stock in Sparky Spark's M2D camo that would be a different story!

The black stock allows customers to customize it. If someone wants a Mossy Oak stock they can just order the Predator stock from Remington?

As long as the bolt and barrel remain black as they shall, I will make due, just tell them to have them for sale in the next few weeks!

Just tell them to keep the MSRP around $500. If it's gonna be closer to 750+ i'll just spend another 500 or so and get an AR.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

$500 MSRP? Um, how is that even possible? We sell our barrel for $400. It is a premium nitrided QPQ barrel (gunsmiths charge over $200 just to do the nitride QPQ process to an existing barrel), threaded and with a thread protector. I bought a barrel from AI and it was $700 + $85 more for the thread protector.

The price will be what I consider very low, but not that low. We are not going to ditch the premium barrel to make that price point.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

I'll be using one for a lightweight woods gun, so my vote is camo. Solid black is not a color that is found in the woods very often.

Also, I find that I "baby" my camo guns less because they don't show blemishes as much as solid colors do.

Edit to add: Looks like it is 50/50! Clearly you'll have to offer both. :)
AZ-K9
Silent But Deadly

Post by AZ-K9 »

Keep it black to keep costs down, camo film over plastic eventually results in scratches, etc showing through. I assumed it'll come with the pot metal X mark trigger? I could live without the billboard laser engraving on the bottom metal too, a subtle marking on the receiver would suffice for my needs.

A $700 MSRP with a $600 street price would be my preferred price point.
Last edited by AZ-K9 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

X Mark Pro trigger, yes. Pot metal version - I am not aware of that version. It is made of very specific alloys.
AZ-K9
Silent But Deadly

Post by AZ-K9 »

The ones I've encountered appear to be molded and break easily. The actual trigger portion the finger engages and the portion along the top that engages the bolt look to have cheap metal. Maybe it's been changed but this was on a new SPS and within the last year or so.

Nevertheless it's a replaceable part that those of us unhappy with them can fix.

ETA: The sear safety cam and the trigger shoe...
theflatline

Post by theflatline »

Voted black as animals and paper targets hardly care what color your stock is :P
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would be very surprised if the trigger shoe is anything but a high strength quality steel alloy. You have seen one break? That is unlikely as google has never heard of one breaking.
AZ-K9
Silent But Deadly

Post by AZ-K9 »

silencertalk wrote:I would be very surprised if the trigger shoe is anything but a high strength quality steel alloy. You have seen one break? That is unlikely as google has never heard of one breaking.
Yes, it was on a SPS Tactical bough by a LE department that had been removed from the stock to put it in a McM stock. A slight bump resulted in a two piece trigger. Obviously I'm no expert but the break appeared very similar to the way the zinc slides break on .22 slides often break. The sear safety cam appeared to be an I beam type design compared to the older trigger that replaced it.

I wouldn't expect it to break in normal use thanks to the trigger guard though.

I believe Remington replaced it without hassle don't know if it was a combination of factors or what but the force on the trigger was not much.
radar
Silent Operator

Post by radar »

Never paint anything smaller than a tank camouflage, you will only drop it in the woods and loose it.
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

ATACS would be good......
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Which ever one can be made quickest. I dont think it would be a deal breaker either way. I need a light rifle!
atomchaser
Silent Operator

Post by atomchaser »

Plain black please. I second dropping or at least toning down the big logo on the floor plate.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Robert, is it safe to assume that Model 7s with this chambering will be available after the Shotshow in January?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Well, they may be 3 months away still. The ATF has to approve a marking variance first. The world moves in slow motion to me.