Anyone used a POF Roller Cam Pin

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Anyone used a POF Roller Cam Pin

Post by jmselders »

I have far to many ARs ,so I have been told and now I have to get rid of a few. I am ordering an LWRC A3 and It's my first AR piston gun. I have never had what I would consider a problem with receiver wear. I understand that piston ARs have bolt tilt problems that lead to wear in the receiver and buffer tube. Has anyone seen any wearing problems in their rifle or is it just minor scuffing. POF claim that the roller cam pin cuts down on wear,would it be good to add or just a waist of money.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: Anyone used a POF Roller Cam Pin

Post by Conqueror »

Complete waste of money. I wouldn't buy one with your credit card.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

Just another gimmic. Kinda thought so. I see they have one for a DI system, never felt a need for it before,same for a piston AR than.
Thanks
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

The roller cam helps cut down on friction. Saying it is a complete waist of money is tantamount to saying that wheel bearings in a wagon are a complete waste of money. Sure you can do it with bushings, but bearings are smoother and stay cooler longer. The roller cam is not a bearing, but it is a bushing where none was previously.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

Have you used one? Do they work?
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

I have 4. They are great. Several buddies of mine use them as well.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

DI guns or pistons setups? I am all for new things but this is my first piston AR. I thought I would ask since POF is the only ones I can find running this.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would like to test one.

If I am able to detect that friction is lower, then I would start to think about if the difference was worth the potential for it breaking sooner than a normal pin.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

That's what I would like to see, a test to tell if it really works.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Robert, as you know, I own a Diablo. My friend also owns one. You can put a roller cam in one and a regular cam pin in the other. Fire 100 rounds out of each and field strip. The roller cam will be cooler. I do not have an engineering degree, or years of experience selling product, but these were my observations.

jmselders, I do not own a DI gun. Well that is a lie- I have a kitty cat upper, but I am planning to convert it to piston.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Try this test with and without the roller cam pin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmIQXkoog8
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Oh I can tell you conclusively that the roller cam improves the ability of the operating system to lock up without jamming.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I believe it probably would. I would like to try one but don't want to deal with how the carrier key needs to be modified or replaced.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/sh ... pgrade-Kit
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I assume the pin is smaller diameter beneath the roller. I would not view this as a good thing. If it was that high of friction there you would expect there to me a lot of wear since friction is what generates wear. I have had bolt groups with 40K rnds though it with out enough wear to warrant replacement of the cam pin. I would like to see some empirical test to prove it was worth it and not another feel good BS product like KNS pins.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

I haven't tried the POF roller cam pins yet, but I did just purchase a POF upper for my latest SBR build, so I'm looking forward to tinkering with it to see. My HK 416 has about 2000 rds through it and you can definitely see where the standard cam pin causes excess wear in the upper receiver. I've seen other 416's with many more rounds through them that really look bad. Could it be a "feel good BS product"? Yup, but also like the KNS pins, it could extend the life of your stuff, some of it you might have paid a lot of money for. Just my thoughts

Lost
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

My understanding is that when the beltfed variant of the AR10 was being developed, there was a need to have less friction for consistent & reliable operation and is what prompted the development of the roller cam-pin (among other changes) many many years ago.
Your Mom.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

Piston guns also may be harder in the system there given the higher pressures they work with and the amount of over gassing many seem to exhibit.

Well I have never seen a KNS pin save a receiver nor reduce wear but I have seen them destroy the pin holes they were to protect. So the feel good BS product does harm then its worse than snake oil right?
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

I guess I look at it this way. Pin Holes usually wear out because of 2 things, lots and lots of shooting, and excessive removal of the pins/trigger components. The KNS pins don't really protect against that, but they do keep the the trigger components in place in the event the holes do wear out. Does the standard cam pin cause excess friction in a piston gun? Yup. Does the roller cam pin reduce this wear? Maybe. Am I willing to try it out in order to protect from a catostrophic failure just like I install KNS pins on my AR's to ensure the pins don't come out during a course of fire? Sure am. To each his own, for sure.

Lost
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

I believe it probably would. I would like to try one but don't want to deal with how the carrier key needs to be modified or replaced.
I tell you what Rob, when I get back from visiting family in Georgia, I will try one of my roller cam pins on the bcg from the kitty kat. Then I'll let you know if it works without the new carrier key. If I don't respond to this in several days just remind me.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

OK Rob, the carrier key would definitely have to be modified or replaced. I do not think it would be very hard to modify it- I would go so far as to say that I would be able to run that roller cam on there with a needle file and 15 minutes of red-neck-ingenuity. I'm not going to bother because eventually when I get time I am going to install the Adams Arms kit onto my Kitty Kat. I do not think it would be very hard at all though- just a wee bit of metal to be moved.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

Copenhagen, I know you were trying to use one you have and that you're going to an Adams kit,but if someone wanted to run one in a DI setup they make a kit. The kit replaces the key and pin ,it just bolts on.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Oh I know, I saw that kit too- and then you get the NP3 coated key which is much easier to clean. I am a cheap skate though, so if I could see myself filing down the original gas key too... Then again, why do that if I am already going to pay for the roller cam? May as well get the modified key too. Not very hard to install and stake.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

I'm starting to change my mind and thinking of trying one now.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

They are pretty sweet.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Changing a key seems a harder to me than hitting my existing one with a Dremel.

As for NP3 bolt carriers - I know of an organization who tested that and said it flaked off under heavy use. I would use a plain carrier or maybe chrome.