Handi Rifle with or without iron sights?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

With or without iron sights?

With iron
42%
No iron sights.
58%

Total votes: 33

silencertalk
Site Admin

Handi Rifle with or without iron sights?

Post by silencertalk »

jdj
Elite Member

Re: Hani Rifle with or without iron sights?

Post by jdj »

They should be high enough to work with a can though... maybe it would be better to do a custom job if you want irons w/ a rear peep and high front post, though that seems kind of pointless on an inexpensive rifle like this.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

Without Iron Sights, Its not Handi.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I wonder if you can use the hammer spur as the rear sight and eliminate the normal rear sight, which does not have much radius anyway.

And maybe eliminate the normal front sight and have one which you install under the thread protector and tighten the thread protector to secure?
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

silencertalk wrote:I wonder if you can use the hammer spur as the rear sight and eliminate the normal rear sight, which does not have much radius anyway.

And maybe eliminate the normal front sight and have one which you install under the thread protector and tighten the thread protector to secure?
Sounds like a good idea, though it would be hard to zero and with the blued finish, a front sight under the thread protector would scratch the s--t out of the barrel.

Any chance you could have these done with a parked finish instead of blueing?
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Don't know if it makes sense to second guess HR on finish. If they sell blues finishes presumably they already decided that is what most people want.
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

-1 irons for me.

Normally, I would prefer irons, but with this rifle I wouldn't be able to see them over a can anyway. Also, I'll probably build a can that goes back over the barrel; a front sight would just get in the way. You could always mount a long rail and a pair of BUIS.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I like the idea of the irons but it most definitely needs to have an easily removable front sight.

Are there any current direct-thread reflex 7.62 cans?
Last edited by rob_s on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

rob_s wrote:I like the idea of the irons but it most definitely needs to have an easily removable front sight.

Are there any current direct-thread reflex 7.62 cans?

the beauty of the form 1 :lol:
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handi Rifle with or without iron sights?

Post by libertyman777 »

BUIS. I think it's needed in this application.

If you're shooting at paper or something small (squirrel, amoeba, etc.), then yes the can will be in the way. But if your shooting at something larger, (man or beast) then it won't matter, you'll hit.

All Handi Rifles I've ever seen with sights were drilled and tapped. And if you hate the sights, they can be removed. But they are hard to add after the fact. I see this rifle as a backup/truck gun and if I scoped one, it would be low power with QD rings.

Paul
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I would want something other than a single shot with a silencer as a backup truck gun.

thats what an 870 is for
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

At least a front dovetail or drilled for a front sight ramp and rear receiver sight would be nice. Hell, even just a front dovetail - i'm sure you could put a rail on it and use a fixed rear AR sight and hooded front if you wanted, that would clear a can, though it would look strange.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Without.
Huntertown Arms

Post by Huntertown Arms »

I say without. I have 4 handi rifles in various calibers and none have sights on them.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

With
As long as it does not increase the price by more than $50.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

When I take the open sights off my lever guns to put on a tang sight, I hate how there is a dovetail left over on the barrel.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

silencertalk wrote:When I take the open sights off my lever guns to put on a tang sight, I hate how there is a dovetail left over on the barrel.

JB weld and fake blueing paste. Redneck gunsmithing 101
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Its not truly redneck unless you use ductape.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The Graybeard forum shows a preference for having iron sights - and those are the real Handi Rifle guys.
2bad4u2
Silent Operator

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Instead of running all these polls which really mean rather little, why not just ask H&R what combination they think would sell the best? They're in a far better position to know what will work and what is least likely to.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Rsilvers, here's a thought, consider the market segment you're speaking to right now.

Suppressor inclined individuals, individuals who are also M.G., S.B.R., E.B.R., etc, inclined. Most of us don't have hang ups on things like that and their image (and I don't think anybody should), but I'd say broaden your horizons, look beyond your market (and the segment, honestly you fit in), look at what most people who own a lot of handi-rifles use.

You want this cartridge to span a lot of market segments and catch on, then you'll have to design weapons that fit multiple market segments.

Food for thought.

Is there a way to do both? Or better yet, if you have to choose one over another, is it easier to remove sights than it is to later add them?

Then that seems the best solution given the selection, I say best, not perfect, given the options, of either offering two rifles or one (I'm sure you can only offer one, given this is a slight preference), I'd say choose the lesser evil, that you can remove the sights from if you so choose, or leave them if you so choose.

Though some may not prefer the appearance of the sights removed, at least the option is there to have either configuration.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

BWT wrote:Rsilvers, here's a thought, consider the market segment you're speaking to right now.

Suppressor inclined individuals, individuals who are also M.G., S.B.R., E.B.R., etc, inclined. Most of us don't have hang ups on things like that and their image (and I don't think anybody should), but I'd say broaden your horizons, look beyond your market (and the segment, honestly you fit in), look at what most people who own a lot of handi-rifles use.

You want this cartridge to span a lot of market segments and catch on, then you'll have to design weapons that fit multiple market segments.

Food for thought.

Is there a way to do both? Or better yet, if you have to choose one over another, is it easier to remove sights than it is to later add them?

Then that seems the best solution given the selection, I say best, not perfect, given the options, of either offering two rifles or one (I'm sure you can only offer one, given this is a slight preference), I'd say choose the lesser evil, that you can remove the sights from if you so choose, or leave them if you so choose.

Though some may not prefer the appearance of the sights removed, at least the option is there to have either configuration.

Yep, the Blackout round is hot. Once these H&R guys figure out that it's not only a fine hunting rounds but that they probably already have the brass and bullets they need to roll their on............I think it's huge.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................