Post by rivercityrats »

Has anyone heard of/seen an AR upper in 7.62x39
Would be cool to shoot same in AK & AR.
Non Hyphenated American
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7.62X39

Post by Twinsen »

I've built one. The barrels aren't hard to find. The magazine is an issue, and the bolt is an issue. The rim of the round is larger than a .223, so the bolt has less material around it and is weaker. The magazines are only available by a few manufacturers and there's reports of all of them sucking. They are straight through the magwell, then have the necessary curve required by that bullet.

I think it'd be a better plan to do 300 BLK. It's made for that AR bolt and those mags and has the same performance while being easier to reload as it is .308 instead of .310/.311.
rivercityrats

Post by rivercityrats »

Thanks, I agree, after posting the question, I did an Internet search and came to the same answer. My .30 cal gun will be the 300 Blackout.
Non Hyphenated American
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

I have an Robinson Arms Xcr in 7.62x39 It is very similar to an Ar in ergonomics. The magazines are an non issue now. I originally bought some c-products mags for ten bucks each on sale. They ended up being the older ones and didn't work for *&^(. I called C-products they told me send them to them I did and they sent me ten new ones that work flawlessly. I have exactly one thousand rounds (wolf steel case) thru them and the gun with no lube or anything. It is now my favorite gun to shot and the most economical.
I also shoot it suppressed so it is dirty as &*^%$