IR Laser sighting

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

baxleys

IR Laser sighting

Post by baxleys »

Just looking at sighting systems, was thinking about an ACOG and someone mentioned using an IR laser with it. Just wondering the function/how to use such a devise and cost/usefullness of it.

Thanks,

Bax
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Re: IR Laser sighting

Post by JohnnyC »

For use with night vision systems like a head-mounted PVS-14. You can't mount a NOD behind an ACOG because the tritium will burn the tube so you use an IR laser as a point-and-shoot system. It works very well for night time engagement if targets but isn't cheap, and IR lasers of any appreciable power, while legal to own, are primarily of questionable legality source-wise.
withoutremorse42
Silent But Deadly

Post by withoutremorse42 »

while I usually stay miles away from airsoft or chinese products, there is one or two guys on ebay selling peq-2, peq-4 and peq-15 clones that are rugged enough to hold up to .223. A guy I know has one and it holds zero just fine. cost was about $200 for a peq-4 clone.

Usefullness? Do much shooting at night under night vision?

Function is easy. you can see the dot just like a visible spectrum laser and if there is and particulate matter in the air, you can see the entire length of the beam. I would go with a peq 2 or 15 as they have illuminators as well.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Find one online in the various forums. They are out there. It's illegal for companies to sell them to civilians, but civilian ownership is not illegal. Go figure. I bought a genuine infrared lasermax from someone on this site that had a bunch, which is perfectly legal to do.

Cost can be all over the map. I wouldn't mind owning this baby. Powerful IR laser that anyone in the U.S. can buy on ebay.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

stevejobs wrote:Find one online in the various forums. They are out there. It's illegal for companies to sell them to civilians, but civilian ownership is not illegal. Go figure. I bought a genuine infrared lasermax from someone on this site that had a bunch, which is perfectly legal to do.

Cost can be all over the map. I wouldn't mind owning this baby. Powerful IR laser that anyone in the U.S. can buy on ebay.
Jesus, that's expensive... :shock:
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

DoctorSolo wrote:
stevejobs wrote:Find one online in the various forums. They are out there. It's illegal for companies to sell them to civilians, but civilian ownership is not illegal. Go figure. I bought a genuine infrared lasermax from someone on this site that had a bunch, which is perfectly legal to do.

Jesus, that's expensive... :shock:
That's military grade with a range of 23 miles. It's used for airstrikes on targets marked with it. You wouldn't use it on an AR, etc.

According to the manufacturer, "Sale of this product is restricted to the Department of Defense through a direct purchase." Yet any civilian in the U.S. can legally buy one on ebay. I'm just saying the high end stuff is out there if you look.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

But like other items sold only to .gov - possession may be a problem for you. - I remember the body armor when DOD-DOJ went around looking for surplus stores selling stuff that wasn't in the civilian chain unless it was a stolen item. So on that part I'd say beware - I just use some russian corsik stuff that is sold in EU about 300.00 - holds zero well but a little difficult to zero, worked best if I had a red dot sighted in then just match the IR dot to the red dot and bingo sighted in, seems ok with 223 recoil haven't tried on my 7.62x54R. :wink:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

That is true, but it is not all stolen. I know the infrared lasermax I bought was not stolen because I bought it from someone who can legally buy them new. I won't name names, but he is well known and has one of the highest post counts here.

But you make a good point. I personally would not want to buy something stolen from our military. Buying an item new in an unopened box is a good start.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Get a Class 1 IR from LaserMax or LDI.