10/22 vs bolt gun

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cscott

10/22 vs bolt gun

Post by cscott »

Are bolt actions really that much quieter than 10/22s ? Cant decide which way to go. I've listened to a cz and it was real quiet but have not heard a 10/22 suppressed.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 10/22 vs bolt gun

Post by Bendersquint »

[quote="cscott"]Are bolt actions really that much quieter than 10/22s ? Cant decide which way to go. I've listened to a cz and it was real quiet but have not heard a 10/22 suppressed.[/quote

A bolt action is notably quieter than a 10/22. The action noise from the 10/22 is alot louder than most people think.

If you want quietest possible go with a bolt action, if you want semi auto fun and higher rates of fire and larger magazines go with the 10/22.

Not quite comparable but the difference is along the lines of gently closing a car door(bolt rifle) and a pissed off girlfriend/wife slamming that same door(10/22). Might not be that dramatic but its a very large difference.

-B
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I find the difference when I am shooting to be noticeable as my cheek is on the stock and much of the action noise telegraphs through the stock and into my head. When I stand 10-15 feet away from someone else shooting my rifles, I cannot tell much of a difference in sound.

Another thing that is noteworthy, is if you shoot at night, you can sometimes see a little flash from the bolt on the 10/22, but much depends on the ammo.

If you're going to get a 10/22, silenced or not, I'd highly recommend getting a urethane bolt pin. The metal pin that comes with the 10/22 causes the bolt to make a loud clack whenever it hits the pin. That was the first upgrade I made to my 10/22, because the action noise was driving me nuts. I can't imagine how loud that clack would sound on a suppressed 10/22.

IMO - A 10/22 is a must have in anyone's gun collection. But be careful, because even though they can be had for around $180, if you like to upgrade things, there's enough aftermarket parts for the 10/22 that you can easily put over $1,000 into one. :lol: (I'm at about $700 on mine, and I haven't even upgraded the trigger or the bolt yet)
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

I know they make a device to keep the bolt from moving on a 10/22 when you shoot it, essentially giving you single shot rifle that you reload by manually cycling the bolt. Same noise signature as a bolt gun, right?

QUESTION: Anyone every hold the bolt with their thumb? Ever tried it wth a Ruger MkII pistol?
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

To me holding the bolt closed is really not worth it. I put my element on my 10" spikes .22 upper, my cz bolt, 10/22, ruger 22/45, p22 and had my gf shoot them 3 shots each all using wolf match and I couldnt tell the difference at all 7 yards away with my eyes closed and back turned. All are really really quiet.

When im shooting them personally the cz is the quietest, followed by the p22, then 22/45, then spikes, and finally the 10/22 being the loudest.
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

Islander wrote:QUESTION: Anyone every hold the bolt with their thumb? Ever tried it wth a Ruger MkII pistol?
Do it all the time with my mark 3, and I assume you could do it without any problem on a 10/22. You get a slight sting, but nothing bothersome.
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

Cj Two A wrote:
Islander wrote:QUESTION: Anyone every hold the bolt with their thumb? Ever tried it wth a Ruger MkII pistol?
Do it all the time with my mark 3, and I assume you could do it without any problem on a 10/22. You get a slight sting, but nothing bothersome.
Okay. I'm going to trust you on this and give it a try. My thumb is in your hands. :mrgreen:
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Cj Two A wrote:
I do it all the time with my Remington 597, I'm sure it'd work the same with a 10/22.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

I shoot while holding the bolt shut all the time. I usually only shoot subs and standard velocity and its never a problem. Stingers might sting a little but they will be loud as hell anyway and no use in holding bolt. I use a KIDD extended bolt handle and it is great for holding it shut. I do believe that when you get out 10 or so yards it doesn't matter, but to the shooters ear a bolt action will always be more quiet.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

Abiqua wrote:
Cj Two A wrote:
I do it all the time with my Remington 597, I'm sure it'd work the same with a 10/22.
My Rem 552 has popped my left thumb a couple times. Never tried to hold it. First time for everything.
dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 »

Islander wrote:I know they make a device to keep the bolt from moving on a 10/22 when you shoot it
I'm curious. Do you have a brand name or a link?
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

dan5505 wrote:
Islander wrote:I know they make a device to keep the bolt from moving on a 10/22 when you shoot it
I'm curious. Do you have a brand name or a link?
Here is a fancy version, that you can engage/disengage easily:
http://www.silencerresearch.com/jg_bolt_lock.htm

There is an older thread here with alternative methods (wish I would have found it before posting my quesions):
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4378

EDIT: Here is the simple insert version that I was familiar with:
http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/lock.html
sigman226
Silent Operator

Post by sigman226 »

Bendersquint wrote:
cscott wrote:If you want quietest possible go with a bolt action, if you want semi auto fun and higher rates of fire and larger magazines go with the 10/22.
Or the best of both world of high round count and bolt action the Ruger 77/22.
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

Held the bolt on my 10/22 and MKII yesterday with no problems. The MKII is surprisingly easy. The 10/22 stings a little when held between the index and middle fingers of the left hand. For that weapon I would probably go with the parachord method or a commercial bolt lock if I wanted to do this often. I didn't notice much difference in sound on the 10/22, but the MKII was remarkably quieter to my ears.

Silender Research's review of the JG Bolt Lock for the 10/22 is confusing. Maybe I read it wrong? He reports the gun was louder with the lock engaged for the mil-spec tests, but much quieter if he moved his mics over on his right-ear side. I'm thinking it is more important for the weapon to be quieter in the direction of the target.

Silencer Research Review: http://www.silencerresearch.com/jg_bolt_lock.htm

For both weapons it was important to hold the bolt tightly to increase reliability. If I didn't, I experienced FTE about half the time. Could have been my lazy manual ejection technique, but when I held the bolt tight, it didn't happen.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

My thoughts on it being louder with the bolt lock installed, I'm no rocket scientist, but I can follow logic (most of the time).

Without the lock installed, gas/sound is coming out both the muzzle end of the barrel AND the ejection port of the receiver.

With the lock installed, gas/sound is coming out only from the muzzle end (what was first coming out....along with what was originally coming out the ejection port).

So it seems logical to me that it could/would be louder out the muzzle end with the lock installed, but quieter of course at the ejection port.
mroily
Silent Operator

Post by mroily »

how about a 96/22 sounds the same as bolt action but cycles faster than bolt action and you can mount a 10/22 barrel to it with a little work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSRgRxfX7E
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yeah, but good luck finding them anymore.
haus
Silent Operator

Post by haus »

Don't forget you can buy 3 10/22's for the cost of 1 77/22. If that is a consideration for you. Clips are the same. I have both and prefer to shoot the bolt action.