rifle length gas system with barrel cut to 16 inches w/ can

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

DrDremel
Senior Silent Operator

rifle length gas system with barrel cut to 16 inches w/ can

Post by DrDremel »

Has anyone taken an A2 rifle length gas system barrel, cut to 16 inches and threaded, and used a silencer on it? I would think the silencer would keep enough back pressure to keep it reliable. The gas port would not be enlarged, the idea would be that it would be less gas and stress.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Re: rifle length gas system with barrel cut to 16 inches w/

Post by Tom12.7 »

Yes, it works, generally speaking, but not without modifications.
A lot depends on the barrel you start with, and the rest of your combo altogether. I've been playing with a Surefire Micro on a 15.5" rifle gas barrel. It handles like a carbine, but the recoil is smooth. I'm surprised so far how well it has done, but I'm not done testing it yet.
Tom
Bluewidowr1

Post by Bluewidowr1 »

You are basically describing a dissipator upper with a can. I see no reason at all why it would not work since the rife can operate without the can as well.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

Bluewidowr1 wrote:You are basically describing a dissipator upper with a can. I see no reason at all why it would not work since the rife can operate without the can as well.
"dissipator" uppers use a carbine length gas tube under full length handguards
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I tried to get White Oak Armory to build me a barrel just like you describe. They told me, "NO!"

I'm guessing that they didn't want the liability hassles if it failed to work properly. Might need some tuning, but as long as the can is attached, I see no problem. I 'think' it would work fine. Haven't tried it yet - but I am going build this myself at some point.

I know ADCO was (but no longer) offering some 11.5" barrels with an extra small gas port for exclusive permanent use with the OPS, Inc. M4S can. Less gas-in-face and all. They indicated likely failure to function without the can attached. No big deal, you know that going in.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

[/quote]
"dissipator" uppers use a carbine length gas tube under full length handguards[/quote]

Not all of them, Spikes dissipator upper has a mid length gas system.
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!