M4-2000 Blackout mount on stg556 Pics questions

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

M4-2000 Blackout mount on stg556 Pics questions

Post by bonebreak2000 »

So I toke the standard FH off the stg556. But the threads are very long. To the point where I want to get a second opinion on it before using the rockset on the new mount.

Take a look at these pics. Is this spacing ok? It never butts up against a flat surface like all my other mounts, cans have. However the surface behind it is rounded anyway so it wouldnt be able to even if the threads were shorter.

Anyone?

Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Re: M4-2000 Blackout mount on stg556 Pics questions

Post by Smilodon »

If it was mine I'd send the barrel out and have that rounded shoulder squared and the thread recut, just my $.02. Probably all it's worth too! :D
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

Post by bonebreak2000 »

There isnt enough room for that without shortening it below 16 inches.
sluggie24
Silent But Deadly

Post by sluggie24 »

When I put the mount on mine it bottomed out on the treads before the muzzle contacted the inside shoulder in the mount. This caused it to not be centered properly which would cause a baffle strike. I ended up flattening out the muzzle with a file slightly and using a small fine file to add one more thread on barrel to allow proper seating. You could also probably just remove one thread from inside the mount as well. To know if your mount is straight just look through the barrel with the can attached from the chamber side. If you see any part of the can its not straight. The sad thing is after all that work its still not what I would consider hearing safe. (I'm using M42000) The action being right against your ear and the way the gas system vents will still cause your ears to ring a bit after a shot or two which has nothing to do with how well a can actually works.
bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

Post by bonebreak2000 »

sluggie24 wrote:When I put the mount on mine it bottomed out on the treads before the muzzle contacted the inside shoulder in the mount. This caused it to not be centered properly which would cause a baffle strike. I ended up flattening out the muzzle with a file slightly and using a small fine file to add one more thread on barrel to allow proper seating. You could also probably just remove one thread from inside the mount as well. To know if your mount is straight just look through the barrel with the can attached from the chamber side. If you see any part of the can its not straight. The sad thing is after all that work its still not what I would consider hearing safe. (I'm using M42000) The action being right against your ear and the way the gas system vents will still cause your ears to ring a bit after a shot or two which has nothing to do with how well a can actually works.

thanks for the tip. yeah I had read your post where you described modifying it. I actually did look through my barrel with the can on and i couldnt see it more on one side than the other so I went ahead and used the rockset on this last week. I put about 30 rounds through it at an indoor range at 25 yards. I didnt appear to have any keyholes or edge strikes.

Bullpups will always have this issue in terms of where your head sits. I'll try it outside soon and see how bad it is. I'll try it maybe just wearing my plug on the right ear and see how that goes. Obviously indoors I was still wearing ears. Truth be told the hearing safe part isnt the only reason I would want a can on a rifle. Its not as if the .223 is really a great round to suppress in terms of hearing anyway. Besides if worse came to worse something is better than nothing especially if you needed to use it indoors.

I will say it did get dirty in a hurry. Pulling the mag out after 3 rounds and all the top rounds in the mag were already dirty from the blow back.