2 mile shooting -3500 yards.

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jimmym40a2
Elite Member

2 mile shooting -3500 yards.

Post by jimmym40a2 »

After reading about Craig Slack and Bruce Artus hitting gongs at 3125 yards with a 308 improved and a 338. I knew I had to do it. Skip Talbot and gang hitting a 13 foot rock at 2 miles also fed the flames for the 2 mile quest. I got a fifty and have shot it out to 2000 yards but when I got my Cheytac I knew it would do the distance.(as well as my 50) If a 240 grain Serria will do 3125 at 2400 fps (Bruce's 308 improved) My 408 (with Jamison solids) should reach 3500. This was the case yesterday. I left my house at 4 in the morning to be in place and ready to go before the sun heated things up and after the long drive and setting up my planning had paid off. My kestrel 4500 weather meter was reading 1 mph wind and 64 degrees. Conditions were perfect.(all my data was entered in my computer) My gun was zeroed at 1770 yards on the top of my ridicule of my night force NPr1 reticule. I have shot at this location before and had everything ranged with GPS, Google earth and my Barr an Stroud range finder. Within a few shots we were hitting at a mile on our target and after 8 in a row I decided to go straight to 2 miles. conditions were still perfect and I wanted to shoot before conditions changed. The target was a 6 foot rock so we could see impacts. I took my first shot and was low about 12 feet but lined up dead center. I knew if I could see impacts I could make corrections and get a hit. I have tried this before but I could not see impacts so I gave up. I tried to move my scope but I was out of elevation So I bagged down my rifle and loosened up my adjustable rings and gained some more elevation. Next shot I couldn't see any impact. This made me nervous. Next shot I saw a small dirt geyser! And after adjusting and taking a shoot I saw an impact on the top right of the boulder. Bam- I had hit at 2 miles. I was quite pumped.

You can see the target area where the red arrow is.

We fired some more shots and got a few hits and some misses and decided to try it with my 50.(EDM conversion)
Because I lost my zero we had to monkey around to reestablish it. Before long we were hitting at a mile. With my suppressor on (which ads 18 inches) shooting this far tilts the scope into my suppressor and there was allot of mirage. I thought out to 2 miles would not work with my can on and decided to not attempt it. We spent the next few hours shooting varying distances and having a blast. t was a day I won't forget.
I was surprised how well you can see at 2 miles with good optics. The 10 second or so flight time was pretty awesome. A few obligatory pictures.

I took some video but you cant see anything because it's 2 miles away!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtL2f64djE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2 mile shooting -3500 yards.

Post by BriggsRi »

Wow, that's amazing!

Thanks for posting, what a day!
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

so awesome
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Just AWSOME, I love that .408 Cheytac. If I ever win the lottery that will be on my list of guns to buy :D
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

WTF is that spotting scope?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

A 3m spotting scope made in Germany. It's 50x and a 6 inch objective. Perfect for spotting stuff 2 miles away!
Ring
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ring »

1 where did u find it?
2 what did it cost?
3 how heavy is it?
4 who were they made for?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

There is a company called http://www.deutscheoptik.com/ that sells all kinds of military optics and misc stuff. You never know what they have in stock and sometimes its one of a kind. I got it from them years ago. I think it was made for an airport somewhere. It have 5 different filters built in it, etc. pretty cool. I cant remember how much it cost. Its been 14-15 years? I made the tripod for it. its way overkill just like I like it.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

THAT BOY GOOD
NP
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Wow, that's awesome.
bigdog2003_99
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigdog2003_99 »

that is awesome
SpiderTheWebGuy

Post by SpiderTheWebGuy »

Made 20% cooler:

But so my first post doesn't seem like spam... You mention getting some extra elevation by loosening the adjustable rings. I've heard of bases with built-in MOA (usually 20 MOA) but I've never heard of this. What kind of scope rings are those and how did you go about adjusting them without throwing you're zero all over the place?

Fantastic shot, by the way. I doubt I could make that shot even with years of more practice. Well done.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Its in the description above but adjustable rings allow you to losen up the base of the rings ( not were the scope attatces to the rings) but where it attathes near the base and its adjustBle. I bagged it down or held it steady then looked thru the scope and moved it to where I had more elevation to " sight in"
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Out of curiosity, is your Cheytac a "military" model, or a Civilian model? I thought I remembered reading that Cheytac "dumbs down" the Civilian model rifles a bit.
SpiderTheWebGuy

Post by SpiderTheWebGuy »

jimmym40a2 wrote:Its in the description above but adjustable rings allow you to losen up the base of the rings ( not were the scope attatces to the rings) but where it attathes near the base and its adjustBle. I bagged it down or held it steady then looked thru the scope and moved it to where I had more elevation to " sight in"
How does that not create uneven tension on the scope tube from the ID of the rings and the OD of the tube not being parallel? It's a very exciting idea. I've been playing with .308 subsonics and those get to dropping like stones. What's the make/model of the rings?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Its an original m200 militery model the civilian one had a shorter barrel with less velocity= not as much range. The scope rings are barrett adjustable rings. The newer ones have a 20 ans 40 moa adjustment but the older ones you could set where you want.
Last edited by jimmym40a2 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

Wait, are you selling these things to the hood rats and Mexican cartels? :P

His T-shirt people
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Howdy Jimmy long time no talk, WOW I made 2700 yards and thought that was the outer limits of my abillities but now I will have to re-think. I am shooting a custom 375-408 CT and am sure it will make it out to 3500 yards but didn't dare to try due to the guess factors of those kind of distances.
Dude as I once said, we need to get together and compare notes. I'm sure we could have fun.

Merry Chrismas to you and your Family,

Paul & Rose
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Paul good to hear from you. So you got your 375- awesome. You need to shoot me some pictures of that. Your 375 should do 3500 better than my 408. We do need to get together. Jimmy
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

jimmym40a2 wrote:Paul good to hear from you. So you got your 375- awesome. You need to shoot me some pictures of that. Your 375 should do 3500 better than my 408. We do need to get together. Jimmy
It was not my rifle, I'm still working on mine. First round fell through gunsmith went broke, but it's still coming.

Paul
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

I followed your form 1 thread and finally got a 50. Since then I have been considering building one myself. The only thing stopping me was the question of if API ammo was safe to fire through it. Looks like you have no problems at all.

Now that I think about it I dont think an API baffle strike would be any worse. Yes it would probably nuke the can BUT the actual amount of explosive in the bullet is probably far less than what is in the casing. The muzzle blast is probably far meaner.

Do you ever wish you had a brake on the front of the can like the Barrett can has?
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Jimmy,

Just out of curiousity, have you ever recorded any groups with the .408 at 1 mile?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

No I havent. The target we shoot at a mile is a small boulder so you can see impacts. It appears to be sub MOA.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

We did this year before last out at the barons. I tried at 2 miles ( I had just watched the David Tubb 1 mile shot vid the week before ) to hit the side of a van ( we drug it out there to shoot it ) 30 rounds I hit it twice with the Windrunner 50bmg that I have traded up on. I was pleased with myself still am. The two hits where about 4 foot apart but both where about the same level. I had no idea what shots hit as my spotting scope was useless at that range. I did not know I had even hit it until we drove up to it.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

cool! That is fun stuff.